which 600?

Started by oh344ccs, November 10, 2002, 01:43:39 PM

oh344ccs

??? ??? WHICH 600 DOES everyone think will be the best of the new batch?  How long will it take to get parts for the new 03's.  I want a new 600 to race but, i don't know if I should just get a gixxer so I can get parts easier, or go for the new R6, OR 6RR kaw.   ???  What do you think?

sportbikepete

Well if you do not get you $$ down on a Kawi soon you will not have to worry about that part of your equation.  ;D

r1owner

Well, before you decide, you might want to call the dealers for the bikes you are looking at to get some prices on spares.

I bought an 01 GSXR 600 instead of an R6 (mainly due to the FI on the GSXR).

The frame for a GSXR is ~2000 while a frame for an R6 is ~900.  Had I known that, I would have went with the R6.  Parts for GSXR's seem inordinately more expensive then for R6's.

slowpoke97

in my opinion u should go with the F5 600rr from honda its going to be the best

FullMoonRacing

Quote<snip..>
The frame for a GSXR is ~2000 while a frame for an R6 is ~900.  Had I known that, I would have went with the R6.  Parts for GSXR's seem inordinately more expensive then for R6's.

You can bend a '01 GSX-R600 frame one heckuva lot easier than the pre- 2001 frames, too!

TreyBone

It looks like the new Honda 600RR is going to be the shiznit.  I am hoping to be on one for next  season ;D

ysr612

I am not fast and I would not buy a new bike to race unless I was.  So if I was I only buy a bike that offered good pay back. contingentcy

sdiver68

As a rookie, I would advise a GSXR or R6.  Parts are plentiful, and more importantly knowledge and set-up are well defined.

As a 2nd year guy, I'm sticking with GSXR for those reasons.  The following year, however, I'd be lying to say the Honda doesn't look tempting....
MCRA Race School Instructor

oh344ccs

I wonder if a frame for the new R6 will still be +/-$900, the frame is new for 03.  claimed hp with ram air was around 123.  and its got fi this year.  However gsxr parts will probably be alot easier to get. ???  I really can't go with a honda, local dealer helping me out sells the other three.  The contingency $$ won't matter this year as an am.  But the year after that will, hopefully, be an issue.

Super Dave

Quotein my opinion u should go with the F5 600rr from honda its going to be the best

I'll bet you'll drop a grand buying an aftermarket exhaust.... :o
Super Dave

Super Dave

Regardless, the new bikes have never substantially increased the lap times.  So, unless you're a top flight expert that need the correct bike for contingency, get the simplest one.

For reference...

At Blackhawk in 1993 just about everyone was riding Honda CBR600F2's.  Mine made 94HP and I could do lap times in the 1:16 range with the fastest 600's doing 15's.

In 2001 on my 104HP GSXR600 that has ram air (that doesn't get factored into the HP number), weighed in at 30 pounds less, had four piston calipers with floating discs, larger rear wheel, FI, and cartridge forks....

I did a 1:13 something, fastest 600's doing 13 somethings.  All that technology, in addition to the tires, which do feel better, I managed to go two seconds faster in almost ten years.

The bike won't make anyone much faster.  The rider understanding the set up and taking advantage of that will.
Super Dave

oh344ccs

Thanks dave, I guess i already new whichever bike I chose really wouldn't make much difference.  But, I haven't been in this long enough to know how little it would actually be.  It's kinda strange when you think about all the new stuff in the last 10 years, only dropping 2 sec's a lap.  Now I guess I'm back to what is cheapest, since all the bikes now are pretty good.