Why I was out...

Started by TiffineyIngram, February 04, 2005, 06:29:54 AM

TiffineyIngram

I apologize to all of you for being out the past two days.  The links below should help to explain it.

This is a link to one of the news stories:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/wfaa050202_wz_yardssink.6bb45ca6.html)

This is a link of the pictures.  My house is the second row from the bottom on the far left.  It's the one with the shrubs that were once very nicely manicured.
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4205907&a=31623162&f

I hope you can understand why I needed to be at home.

davegsxrold929r

the nerve of you..,  dont you know we racers only think about ourselves., geezz now get to work..  ;)

sorry to see that ,. i hope it has all stopped and someone has had an engineer out ., to make sure the houses are not going to go with it !!?  and is someone going to fix this? or is it now up to you the homeowners ??  i hope the town does something for you guys.,   good luck

and we do understand., priorities., really..

gixxerfever

Tiff,
sorry to hear about your house, hope the situation doesn't get worse...

L8brake731

Hope your family is OK! At least it wasn't your house too.
Eric said that the city has been trying to fix a problem for the last two years?
Looks like a Class Action suit in the future.....

Good Luck!
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

TiffineyIngram

Here's what we know so far:

No one knows for sure what caused it.  We have our suspicions, but testing is still being done.

Until we know what caused it, we don't know how to fix it.  Unless it is fixed relatively soon the damage will continue and take our houses with it.

The city says it isn't their fault but that they will foot the bill on finding out what happened. That's the only bright spot in all of this.

Insurance is saying that they won't cover it because homeowner's insurance only covers your home, not property.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Damn. :o Is that a man made lake? (we have a few upscale areas near here that made their own "lakefront" property). Never heard of TX having sinkhole problems. :o

BTW coupld you cut and paste the news story. Seems they want you to register to read it.:D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

TiffineyIngram

My bad...

Backyards sink into Irving lake

12:25 PM CST on Wednesday, February 2, 2005

From Staff Reports

An Irving man was surpised by what he saw--or rather what he did  not see--when he looked out his window early Wednesday morning.

Demetric Castro was one of about 10 homeowners in the 1200 block of Lakeshore Drive whose backyards sunk into Vilbig Lake overnight.

Castro woke up about 2 a.m. to find the hedges that lined his yard were no longer there.

His neighbor discovered his entire deck was about 6- to 8-feet lower, while another neighbor's satellite dish sunk.

"I got up, came out, didn't even know, almost fell down and saw it," Castro said. "It was just shock. It was a shock to me and a shock to my neighbor, Jim."

The fire department and a city inspector have examined the damage.

WFAA-TV contributed to this report.

TiffineyIngram

Another story...

Demetric Castro stepped into the back yard of his Irving home on Wednesday morning, and his heart sank at what had sunk.

Castro's back yard, along with four other homes nearby, had collapsed seven to eight feet, leaving the houses just a few feet from the new edge. A satellite dish dropped, fences fell and shrubs sagged.

Also Online

Video: Debbie Denmon reports
"I don't know how it happened," he said. "I have no idea how it happened or why it happened, and don't know if it's done."

These homes were built in the 1980s along the shore of Vilbig Lake, a private lake in far south Irving off MacArthur Boulevard.

RICHARD MICHAEL PRUITT / DMN
Demetric Castro's satellite dish slipped away from his house when his yard collapsed Wednesday. Eric Kelcher moved in his home in 1996, and said living on the lake has been great. But in 2003 he noticed the ground sinking slightly in his backyard, and discovered that a four-foot-wide storm drain flowing into the lake separated, soaking the ground around it.

Kelcher thinks that drain may be the cause of the latest problem, "based on the amount of dirt that's missing directly around it, and the way the water would travel underground."

Kelcher said City of Irving crews came out six times over the past two years to make repairs.

"I think it just eroded it over time," he said.

City officials said they will examine the drain very closely now.

"Part of our investigation and evaluation will be to look at that - or any situation that we've had - where we've made any type of repairs in any type of public easements," said assistant city manager Cliff Miller.

Homeowners said they understand settling of the soil or heavy rains over time could cause the collapse.

TiffineyIngram

It is a man-made lake, built around the early 80s.  We've never had anything like this ever happen in Texas--ground is pretty solid here.  I guess that's why we made it onto CNN and Good Morning America.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Tiff and Eric.  If necessary, you can borrow my motorhome for as long as you need it, even if that means a year.  I only paid $2500 for it, so it's no big deal.  I've slept in a tent at the track before, I can do it again.
K3
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

tstruyk

similiar thing happened to my finace's uncle
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5191079/

sorry to heat about that, wonder how you do go about fixin that?
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

H-man

That's an awfully generous offer of you K3.

If they do take you up on the offer, I'm sure your new pit partner Dan will be more than willing to hsare his tent or hotel room with ya.

Hahahahahahaha! ;D ;D  I just crack myself up sometimes ;)
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill