News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tomahawk Tires

Started by Chris760, February 03, 2005, 03:12:07 PM

tzracer

QuoteNow Brian, would you run the Tomahawk tires if you were guaranteed to always get the exact same carcass? I still wouldn't...

I would give them a try at least. I would not be worried about the retread delaminating.

It is a moot point for me as long as I have a tire sponsor.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

cornercamping

QuoteIt is a moot point for me as long as I have a tire sponsor.

I don't get what you are trying to say.  ???  As long as they are "free" or "discounted" because of sponsorship, you'd be willing to use them  ???  So, if Fulmer Helmets offered you a sponsorship, would you wear one of those helmets  ???  Hmmm..... each to his own I guess.   :-/  Ya wouldn't catch me on a set of those tires, that's for sure.  Free or not, I like my life  ;)

cornercamping

Keep in mind, that Fulmer does have a SNELL and DOT certified helmet.  Still wear it  ???

Spooner

QuoteKeep in mind, that Fulmer does have a SNELL and DOT certified helmet.  Still wear it  ???

I beleive he meant he HAS a tire sponsorship, so he won't be trying any other tires anyways...

-Nick
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

Bad_Matt

QuoteExcellent point. And what about different brand carcasses front vs. rear?

They will ship you tires with the specific carcass of your choosing.  I run Pirellis, I get a Pirelli carcas.  Also, I had an Orange colored side wall made special for me.  Very trick...

PJ721

QuoteI had an Orange colored side wall made special for me.  Very trick...

interesting...any pics of them? run these on the track?
still... not something I think I would be able to  trust...all I can picture are those truck retreads flying all over the highway...
 :o
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

cornercamping

QuoteThey will ship you tires with the specific carcass of your choosing.  I run Pirellis, I get a Pirelli carcas.  Also, I had an Orange colored side wall made special for me.  Very trick...

So.. lemme get this straight.  They take "shot" tires, and do some magic, and all of a sudden the tires are "good" again  ???  How  ???   I don't get how they can replace the rubber that's worn away.  ???  Is there some kind of test they do on the tires before they decide which one's to refurb  ???  Can they actually take a "smoked" tire and make it "new" again  ???  I don't get it, not that it matters because I still wouldn't use them, but hey, if it works, it works.  Just find it weird and also amazing.

wilsav

Tomahawk will be at our LVMS classic course date on Sunday Feb. 20.  Come give them a try. You may actually win a set. Tomahawk will give away one set of tires at each of our events. ;D

www.dialitintracktime.com

Zac

Now the real question is:

How do I get Tomahawk to buy my take-offs from me?
 ;D

-z.

Chris_s

i really want to try em out.  but i cant seem to bite the bullet and buy em.   someone try em and tell me how they were.  :P

cant beat 220 for a set of slicks though :o

tzracer

QuoteI don't get what you are trying to say. Ê??? ÊAs long as they are "free" or "discounted" because of sponsorship, you'd be willing to use them Ê??? ÊSo, if Fulmer Helmets offered you a sponsorship, would you wear one of those helmets Ê??? ÊHmmm..... each to his own I guess. Ê :-/ ÊYa wouldn't catch me on a set of those tires, that's for sure. ÊFree or not, I like my life Ê;)

I have a tire sponsor (Dunlop). Therefore my using Tomahawk tires is a moot point.

I will not take a product for free or at a discount unless I were willing to pay full price for it.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Bad_Matt

QuoteSo.. lemme get this straight.  They take "shot" tires, and do some magic, and all of a sudden the tires are "good" again  ???  How  ???   quote]

The old tires are milled down to the carcass.  They literally cut the surfacec rubber off of the tire.  The surface rubber is all that is worn.  They spool on a new layer and vulcanize it to the carcass just like it was originally done at the factory in the first place.  

A tire ages by heat pushing the oils out of the rubber.  The carcass is fine.  Think about it:  You run a set of tire on the track for 2 days.  You run the same set of tires for 4 thousand miles.   Tomahawk is looking at how many times they can actually remanufacture a tire.

As far as testing-  each tire must pass laser shearography before it is sent out.  If it fails-  the tire is scrapped.

I ran a set of the DOTs for three weekend before they started to give up.  The surface rubber was hardly worn.  I have never seen longevity out of another set of tires like this.