Anyone besides me find the Barrett-Jackson

Started by EX#996, January 29, 2005, 04:04:46 PM

Old808

Umm, Dan:

1) If you can't afford an AMG, a GTO is so far out of your price range it's ridiculous.

2) You would only buy a 250 GT? Well, duh, do you know anybody leasing one?  ;D

3) If you think leasing is a better deal, once again you need someone to explain basic finance to you.  I hope "your company" doesn't allow you anywhere near the money.  If they do, are they publicly traded?  I want to short that stock.  ;D

Anyway, I'm more excited about modern cars but I would gladly accept a 427 Cobra.  I actually don't care much for old Ferraris (but I know their value).  Porsche 917 is cool but I prefer wings on my airplanes.  :)

cornercamping

QuoteTalktalktalktalktalktalk.  Yeah, Dan.  I'd have a torrid, passionate affair with Lauren Bacall when she was 19 and starring with Humphry Bogart.  Except that it's NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

Sort of like you buying or even leasing a Ferrari.

A man of admittedly low ability like yourself could easily find any number of excellent, 5K bikes right here on the CCS board.  Any of these bikes would be capable of turning way better lap times than you could, as you have said yourself.  The extra 15K difference between this option and an Italian bike with full bling would buy you more entry fees and tires than most of us could ever dream of.  But, like my affair with Lauren Bacall or your Ferrari, IT AIN'T NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

According to you, you rent Macinaw Island for a bachelor party, lease a McLaren for a quick drive to the 7-11, or buy an ex-Rossi GP bike to run track days.  But for all your purported money and passion for this sport, you can't buy a used, race-prepped R6, and show up for one lousy track day.

Talktalktalktalktalktalktalktalk.

In High School, there were athletes.  Then there were guys who worked with the team as gofers, tapers, bat boys, or whatever.  The school called them assistant trainers.  We students called them athletic supporters.

Either buy a bike and go racing, or shut up and go away.  You don't have to be fast.  You don't even need to win a trophy.  Just show up and race.  This board is for racers, not dreamers.

Hey Chris, what makes you think I want an R6, or a GSXR, or any of those bikes  ???  I've had them, and the ONLY reason I bought them was to sell them for profit.   Nothing more.   I don't like I-4's.  I prefer V-Twins.  It's all preference, that's all.  See, you've known me for let's say a year, but only on the BBS.  It just happens to be the most busiest year of my life.  I got married, had a huge happening with work, and also had family pass away.  So, sorry that I couldn't show up every weekend, but I did manage to still do one race weekend, and two track weekends.  Keep in mind that I didn't go near a track until after my wedding in mid-June because the wife didn't want to take any chances of injury for the wedding.  But, in 2003, I spent more time at the race track than you did.  Yeah, I wasn't racing, but so what.  I still probably spent more if not double the time than most of you did at the track.  I was at a track day every weekend learning to ride so I could race.  But, this year, it's on.  I've made time by moving everything around so I can race, and do track days.  

cornercamping

QuoteUmm, Dan:

1) If you can't afford an AMG, a GTO is so far out of your price range it's ridiculous.

2) You would only buy a 250 GT? Well, duh, do you know anybody leasing one?  ;D

3) If you think leasing is a better deal, once again you need someone to explain basic finance to you.  I hope "your company" doesn't allow you anywhere near the money.  If they do, are they publicly traded?  I want to short that stock.  ;D

Anyway, I'm more excited about modern cars but I would gladly accept a 427 Cobra.  I actually don't care much for old Ferraris (but I know their value).  Porsche 917 is cool but I prefer wings on my airplanes.  :)

Is that so?  Tell me Papa, my two current car payments for the Pacifica and the Jeep add up to  $1050.83 a month, not including insurance and such.  Why is an AMG out of my range again?  Now, you said AMG, not SL65.  Furthermore, think of how many cars I could've gotten for what my Jeep alone lease cost is.  My Jeep is $607.00 a month.  For that, I could've gotten:

Audi S4, A4, A6.
BMW 5 series or M3
MB E Class, M Class, C Class
C6 Vette, Escalade, Navigator, ect.

That being said, why would I get the Jeep?  Cause it's bad ass, and it can pull a trailer filled with bikes to the racetrack :D

As far as leasing being better.. for Dan, it is.  I don't keep vehicles more than the warranty, therefore unless I put damn near half the cost of the vehicle down when I buy, I will lose my ass when I trade it in.  Even then, I lost my entire down payment.  With my Jeep, I put $0.00 down. Nothing.  Sign and drive.  My only downpayment was all the rebates.  Nothing more.  I don't put any cash down for anything that has 4 wheels.   ;)  If I would've bought my Jeep, at 0% interest, my payment would be $716.66 a month for 5 YEARS.  How much is my Jeep going to be worth in 5 years with 100K on it.  Maybe $8K.  Maybe.  

When it comes to exotics, the basic Ferrari's, Lambo's ect. should you afford one, are nothing than money  pits.  Expensive to buy, insure, drive, and maintain.  Therefore, regardless if you buy, or lease, you still lose your ass, but when you have that kind of money, it only comes down to how much your going to lose buying vs. leasing, because you can't win.  

cornercamping

If I would've put $3K down, I could be driving a new BMW 745 for what I'm paying for the Jeep.  I priced it out.  

Old808

QuoteIs that so?  Tell me Papa, my two current car payments for the Pacifica and the Jeep add up to  $1050.83 a month, not including insurance and such.  Why is an AMG out of my range again?  Now, you said AMG, not SL65.  Furthermore, think of how many cars I could've gotten for what my Jeep alone lease cost is.  My Jeep is $607.00 a month.  For that, I could've gotten:

Audi S4, A4, A6.
BMW 5 series or M3
MB E Class, M Class, C Class
C6 Vette, Escalade, Navigator, ect.  
Cut the crap, you said you wanted a SL/CL 65.  I say that ain't happening.

I'll drop the leasing/financing argument: I won't try to explain discounted cash flows to you.

roadracer67

As cool as it is to watch on T.V. it is a million times better in person. I was lucky enough to work at the auction last year and had access to everything.... There is nothing like getting the chance to actually see up close and personal a car that just sold for over $200,000. There was a old gull wing mercedes that sold for HUGE money that people were climbing in and out of as if they were at the car dealership. I felt sorry for the new owner. I am sure he had no idea what his new purchase was going through........

cornercamping

2005 Mercedes Benz SL65 AMG

M.S.R.P.*        $179,720.00
Exterior Color  (Metallic paints are standard for this model.)
Black       $0.00
Interior Color
Charcoal/ Charcoal Leather       $0.00
Wood Trims
Burl Walnut Trim       $0.00
Options
Black Nappa Leather         $3,750.00
Distronic         $3,070.00
Keyless Go         $1,060.00
Panorama Roof w/Sunshade         $1,880.00
Parktronic         $1,080.00
Tire-Pressure Monitoring System         $660.00
Gas Guzzler Tax       $3,000.00
Total       $194,220.00

Downpayment                          $70,000.00
Finance (monthly payment)       $3,141.00
Lease (monthly payment)       $602.00
24 months/15,000 mi/yr

;D 8)

Someone wanna loan me $70k for the downpayment  :P

cornercamping

QuoteCut the crap, you said you wanted a SL/CL 65.  I say that ain't happening.

I'll drop the leasing/financing argument: I won't try to explain discounted cash flows to you.

I just need to sell all the bikes, and get rid of the Jeep and Pacifica, cash out my retirement fund, the kids college fund, and I could get the SL65 tomorrow.    ;D :P

or, I could wait until May and see what my profit sharing check adds up to  ;) 8)

spyderchick

QuoteHey Chris, ...  But, in 2003, I spent more time at the race track than you did.  

I'd be hard pressed to find someone who wasn't an instructor  or Control rider who spent MORE time at the track than K3. This guy lives, breathes, eats, sleeps and pisses racing.

BTW...the $3,000,000 record breaking car was the Oldsmobile F-88 concept car...one of one, and it will go to the Gateway Auto Museum currently being build in western Colorodo by the guy who owns the Discovery channel.

I thought the car was special when it rolled up, but had no idea it was that special. Very, very cool car.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

1988 Honda Accord.

Two door hatch back with flip up lights.

Automatic, with heat.

Uses so much oil, I don't have to change it; I can put my waste diesel engine oil through it.

$250 down, no more payments.

Go race.

GT40

Ford

Ain't no sportscar companay, and certainly didn't have business beating everyone.  It was about anger, ego, and a V8.

Vintage racing...as a hired guy...LOL...

Yeah, I know the drill.

When I started vintage racing for this guy, we had a big combined event at Blackhawk Farms.  Vintage bikes, cars, and airplanes.

This was a real sight....

Someone trailered their GT40 street car.  There were a handful made and they only had 289's, but it wasn't a kit car.  It was the real deal.

Preferences run deep for individuals.  I'm an American Motors fan myself.  Had a few.  I like Dodge Chargers from the late 60's.  Ferrari's are nice.  It's limited production though so, for $600k, you'd better be getting something.  If you could find a dealer that hasn't already ordered their GT from Ford, you're probably gonna drop $250k.  That' a pretty darn good deal for a real supercar that has history too.  

Bikes?  Twins?  Hey, you want to sell it...those H-D things are supposed to have that...

Goes back to this little story.

I was in college, had my GSXR750 and I was almost starting my racing career.  I had the lucky opportunity to buy a 1969 AMX from a guy that was the second owner.  He had it for many years, and it was cool.  But it wasn't completely original for this reason...

"Dave I own and fix this car so I can drive it.  Let the other guys trailer their cars and talk about having the original kleenex box for the car."

I don't have much use for street bikes.  Some might.  I have bikes to race, not for resale.  All about perspective.

Sold the AMX, for a profit, which was nice.  Took some of that money and bought a TZ250.
Super Dave

Super Dave

Cars...

My wife's grandpa was driving until recently.  He's 91 and has Alzeimers.  So, now her grandma at 88 or something, who hasn't driven in like fifty years, is driving.

Cars...

Well, they are pretty simple.  Each to his own, but I like bikes.  I race bikes.  Do what you want, buy what you will...

You have to make decisions.

How much have you spent?

Isn't that kind of like that parable Jesus told...

All these well dressed men put their alms in the containers.  Gold pieces and the like.  An old woman came in and put a very weathered small coin into the container.  And Jesus asked, "Who gave more?"  

The answer came that it was the men that gave gold.  Jesus corrected that it was the woman as she gave everything she had...

And so...

If you've got the bank to buy some expensive cars...

Don't bother with dispensing about how hard it is to get to the race track...

Got to make desicions.
Super Dave

cornercamping

QuoteI'd be hard pressed to find someone who wasn't an instructor  or Control rider who spent MORE time at the track than K3. This guy lives, breathes, eats, sleeps and pisses racing.

I did 21 or 22 track days in 2003.  Went to every Sportbike Track Time event at Gingerman and Grattan. Then, went down to FL for Jennings.  Did 2 race weekends with Fasttrax.  So, I was RIDING at that track for 22 or 23 different days total.  At one point.  We did a 3 day Sportbike tracktime weekend (think it was the 4th of July at Grattan), and then went to an LED on Monday.  

That's a whole lotta time at the racetrack in one season.  Add maintance to 2 Ducati's, and an Aprilia, along with tires, gas, and hotel rooms because we don't camp.  That was one expesive season.  Really expensive.  How many race weekends in a year for one region again?