01 bikes still competitive????

Started by Speedballer347, January 23, 2005, 09:13:23 AM

Speedballer347

Are the 01 style gixxers still competitive compared to the new generation, or is it like comparing an srad to an 01?

I have a chance to get a straight-framed 01/750 for $6,000, but don't wanna get it if the new bikes are way ahead in handling/hp.

please none of this "it's the rider, not the bike" bs.
I KNOW it takes BOTH! so please save me the speech...

Are the 01's and even 04's comparable, or is the '04 way better?
Thanks!
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

MELK-MAN

QuoteAre the 01 style gixxers still competitive compared to the new generation, or is it like comparing an srad to an 01?

I have a chance to get a straight-framed 01/750 for $6,000, but don't wanna get it if the new bikes are way ahead in handling/hp.

please none of this "it's the rider, not the bike" bs.
I KNOW it takes BOTH! so please save me the speech...

Are the 01's and even 04's comparable, or is the '04 way better?
Thanks!

You give us few details.. If it is a STREET bike why would you spend $6,000 for a 01 bike?? Makes no scence to me at all. You could get a newer generation bike, probably race ready for that price.
And no.. i dont think there is much to compare between that pretty old bike and today.

(oh yea... Its about 85% rider... 8) )
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Speedballer347

It's a race-bike.  GMD'd, SS motor.

I have been plagued w/ broken/bent frames and scary handling bikes.  I know this bike is straight and handles correct, so that is why I am looking at it.

But I dont wanna invest in it, if everyones newer bikes are at a noticable advantage.  
I do not want to have to ride harder than the guy in front of me on a new gsxr, if the dif is that noticable.

any opins appreciated
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Super_KC124

I've got an awsome 98 SRAD with a non cracked headstock. Just what you need. ;D

Super Dave

Hey, what's up?

Purk was still fast on his '01 R6.  I can go on and on how HP doesn't make the lap time...it's the set up.

Are you going to run up front?  Well, you've been away for how long?  You won't be competitive.  

Blackhawk 1993 - Honda CBR600F2 - 94HP, 4.5 rear wheel, standard forks, solid brake rotors, carburation, 410#.

Fastest 600 lap times - High 1:14's.

Blackhawk 2001 - Suzuki GSXR600's - 105HP and then add the ram air, 5.5 rear wheel, cartridge forks, floating rotors, fuel injection, and 380#.

Fastest 600 lap times - High- mid 1:13's on a virturally identical track.
Super Dave

Super Dave

The press jazzes everything up...

Hey, they have to see us magazines, but, importantly, they have to sell advertising space to manufacturers.

Daytona tire test...Privateer rider, supposedly retired, Michael Barnes does the fastest lap on a used former Yamaha factory R6 from 2003.  Beats the new 2005's that make more HP, better chassis.  How about the new Honda's (SS and FX), Suzuki's, and Kaw's?  All behind the rider on the old bike with no testing schedule and a retired rider.
Super Dave

Thingy

It should be pretty competive.  The differences would probably translate into tenths of a second.  But, it better be gold plated for 6 grand.

Also, it IS the rider.
I will try to relate, do you think that you would ride better wheelies on an '04?  Nope, it would propably be the rider that would make a difference.   :)

PS - I hope that I am right.  I am still on an '01 GSX-R.  ;D
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

Jeff

QuoteAlso, it IS the rider.

PS - I hope that I am right.  I am still on an '01 GSX-R.  ;D

Which is why Bill rides an old bike... Why spend the money when the rider sucks!  ;D ;D ;D

(doh! hey, you know when you throw them up I have to knock them down.)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

cardzilla

All things equal, yes the 04 will smoke the 01... but rarely are things equal.  I think the competitiveness of an older bike is due to familiarity.  The rider has had so much seat time on it that the setup is probably as good as it gets for his particular style.  It also relates to the amount of parts available and the amount of development put into them.

Well, if you are buying someone else's 01 bike, you're missing out on the biggest advantage : seat time.  While true that this bike has had the kinks worked out and is "dialed in", it isn't so for YOU, just the other guy who owned it before you.

All that said it seems that $6K is a lot... I may be wrong, just seems that way.  I would suggest waiting for the first squid to loop his streetbike in the spring and have the insurance total it for busted plastic.  This is the best value you can find, and most of these squid "crashes" are tip overs, flips and low speed lowsides... nothing too damaging.  Since you've been plagued by bad frames I don't have to tell you to steer clear of the bikes that have had run-ins with four wheelers  ;)
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

ScubaSteve

QuoteThe press jazzes everything up...

Hey, they have to see us magazines, but, importantly, they have to sell advertising space to manufacturers.

Daytona tire test...Privateer rider, supposedly retired, Michael Barnes does the fastest lap on a used former Yamaha factory R6 from 2003.  Beats the new 2005's that make more HP, better chassis.  How about the new Honda's (SS and FX), Suzuki's, and Kaw's?  All behind the rider on the old bike with no testing schedule and a retired rider.

Ya but thats barney he can ride anything!! I was extremely happy to see the times he threw done plus hes only Semi retired!! ;D
Steve

CCS FL

Thingy

QuoteWhich is why Bill rides an old bike... Why spend the money when the rider sucks!  ;D ;D ;D

(doh! hey, you know when you throw them up I have to knock them down.)
You knocked that over the fence!  Home run.  And to think that just the other day, I was going to give you crap about something just to get a rivalry going and didn't...   :'( ;)  When am I going to learn that trash talking is like sex, never pass up an opportunity unless it is with yourself.  Ok, I am sticking to the heavy, slow '01 just to keep things even with your pimp mack daddy new bike.  ;D

Are you racing MW or GP this year?
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

Chuck

While we're on the topic of old bikes being competitive, how would you guys like to be on a 2000ZX6R...yea you know the one Kawasaki brought back as a sport tourer.  

I know it's 95% rider but I can't help but want something a little newer... :-/

rubberducky

Come on there Chucky boy, you dont thing you can handle the power of the old Kawi's or what?  Sorry about missin ya when I was in town, I thought a week was alot longer than it was.  Besides Rick got shady and didnt answer his phone.

If you arent going to run up front right off, there is no point spending $6k on an older or newer bike.  Spend your money on track time.  I know you are tired of hearing about the rider being the main difference, but facts are facts.  If you dont want to work harder than the guy infront of you to go the same speed, work harder to go faster than him.  A slower bike just makes you faster.  Break harder, carry more corner speed, get on the gas sooner.  I had more fun beating sv's on my 88 hawk than I do racing guys with similar hp and weight 600's.  And no, the newer generation gsxr's are not faster.  I talked to my tuner who runs gsxr's and he said that he got more horses out of the old gsxr's.  Get a Yamaha.    

Super Dave

QuoteWhile we're on the topic of old bikes being competitive, how would you guys like to be on a 2000ZX6R...yea you know the one Kawasaki brought back as a sport tourer.  

I know it's 95% rider but I can't help but want something a little newer... :-/

Nah, just not old enough.

At Daytona, I will be racing a 1967 Honda CB450 factory bike, a 1973 Kawasaki H1, and a 1993 Honda RS125 GP bike...LOL!
 ;D
Super Dave

H-man

Hmmm... maybe I will make the investments to make my F2 a keeper Dave [referring to an e-mail I sent to you].
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Jeff

QuoteAre you racing MW or GP this year?

MW.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

gixxerfever

hey P I MP to answer your question, yes they are competitive, but 6k is a bit pricey... for an 01... there are better bikes outthere for less $$$ i have a friend that has one for less $$$

Super Dave

Super Dave

Speedballer347

Thanks for all the replies fellas!

SuperDave,thanks for the comments, got hella respect for your opin/advice.
And no, I will not be competitive in Ex...but I should be in the mix before the season is over if I got a ride-able bike.  

I have decided to forget about the $6500 01/SS bike.  Too much $$$ seems to be the concensus.

I'll start looking for an 04GSXR or 03 R1.

Thanks again fellas. 8)