The 'ol land yacht can go through snow...

Started by Dawn, January 22, 2005, 06:11:57 AM

spyderchick

QuoteSuch a little gun...

Mossberg is probably the way to go.  You don't want to make those things mad.  A twelve gauge would be much better.  

But Dan likes making dangerous critters mad, that why he learned to run so well.  :o ;)

(did I use my "out loud" keyboard)?  :o :o :o :o :o ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

cornercamping

Bah.    Hollowpoint goes in and makes a one inch hole, and on the way out makes an 8 inch hole  :-/

Dawn

Now this is a 'gator gun....

Paul has one with the 8-3/8" barrel with a holosight.  He shot two deer with it, but the amount of damage it caused was too much and then went back to the trusty 7mm .08.

:)

H-man

I LOVE the 7mm-08 cartridge!  Nearly the ballistic characteristics of a .308; a short throw round; and the wide versitility found in 7mm bullets to choose from when reloading.

That 454 Casull is a handfull alright.  While it may be just a hari bigger than a .45 ACP or smaller than the .50 caliber that some muzzleloaders use, it's a damned fast round.  Out of curiosity, what type bullet was Paul using?

Dan, I realize you're probably just spouting off in jest, but Super D is absolutely correct.  Studies have shown [that phrase always lends an air of authority to an argument, don't you think? ;)   But in this case it's true] that it isn't so much the size of a wound that stops or kills a target, it's the amount of blood lost or the hitting of the CNS.

You'd be better off with a 12 guage and 0, 00 or buck shot.  Unless you cycle through over 1,000 rds per week, I rather doubt that you'll readily place your shots when up against an aggressive target in a time of crisis.

Then again, you can always go with my idea of the perfect personal defense weapon.  A grenade. 8)
Easy to operate; nearly fool-proof (just don't milk the spoon if you're gonna hold on to it after pulling the pin - 'cause you saw some idiot do this in a movie.  Pull pin, then release - unless you're setting up a booby-trap. But I digress) and you get instant attention and RESPECT ;D.  From everyone w/in 10 meters ;)  
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Dawn

QuoteI LOVE the 7mm-08 cartridge!  Nearly the ballistic characteristics of a .308; a short throw round; and the wide versitility found in 7mm bullets to choose from when reloading.

That 454 Casull is a handfull alright.  While it may be just a hari bigger than a .45 ACP or smaller than the .50 caliber that some muzzleloaders use, it's a damned fast round.  Out of curiosity, what type bullet was Paul using?

Paul chose the 7mm-08 cartridge fro the exact reasons you listed above (he does his own reloading).  As far as what type of bullet he was using on the .454.....  I don't know, I'll have to look when I get home.  I think I know, but I may be confusing that with the .45 Colt.

Dawn  

cornercamping

Don't know all about ballistics.  I just know that if a crack head breaks into my house, my HK is gonna make sure he doesn't walk out in one piece.  I bought some of those "Aftershock" bullets, and I have no clue how effective they are. I go to Double Action on Dequindre for practice, but I can't use those bullets at the range.  I wonder how good they work...  :-/   All I know is that a .40 cal leaves a ton of damage  :)  If I'm pulling the trigger to shoot someone, then my intention is to kill.  Wounding them just makes more questions arise.  Thank god I've never come close to even needing it.  It'll stay in the safe with a trigger lock on it until I need it.  Last time I carried it was the "Big Blackout."  I have a CCW, but I can't think a reason I need to carry.  Plus, I don't like how cops approach when they run your plate while pulling you over and see the "CCW flag."  They're over-cautious which is more than understandable.  I would be too.  

Dawn

Quote.  It'll stay in the safe with a trigger lock on it until I need it.    

... but if you have it for home protection, how long will it take you to get it out of the safe and the trigger lock off before the prowler is at your bedroom door?

???

cornercamping

How long can he fight a 72 lb. Pit Bull trained to go for his neck the minute he comes thru the window or door  ??? That's why I spent all the money on training the dog.  The crack head better have a gun or a lead pipe.  If he doesn't, he's SOL.  I won't need the gun if the dog gets ahold of him.  

But, to answer your question, about 3 minutes to get the gun out of the safe and the trigger lock off.  There's one already in the chamber so she's ready to go.

Plus, most crooks are smart enough not to involve a gun in their crime from what I've seen.  Having a gun in the commision of a felony in Michigan will get you a mandatory 5 years in prison, that is run consecutive to the sentce for the felony.  In Michigan:

1st Degree Home Invasion = up to 20 years
+ firearm = Mandatory 5 minimum no good time

Lets say he get's 1-20 yrs for Home Invasion.  Add a mandatory 5 on top of it.  So, 6 years in prision at the very minimum if they break into a house with someone home (1st degree) and up to 25 yrs. total.  Like I said, most Home Invasions don't have a gun involved by the crook.  Atleast that's what they taught us in CCW class  :-/

H-man

Man Dan, yet another area you're a little scary.

1.  For you and everyone else who uses a firearm for home defense.  DO NOT use hot rounds!  Chances are you'll be engaging your target in CQB (i.e., within 4 meters).  SOme of your rounds may miss.  They WILL go through your drywall.  How many among us have marked out free fire zones in our homes?  I know I haven't.  This sin't like hunting where you can take time to be sure you have a pretty safe field behind the target.  At that moment of crisis, I don't think you'll be thinking of what (electrical panel, gas line) or who may be in the next room.  Use Glazers (TM).  Much safer and in all the popular sizes.  There's a .40 S&W just calling your name Dan.

2.  If a real "crackhead" did enter your home.  It ain't like in the movies.  Unless your really good at the ole double tap and one (preferrably both) of those rounds hits the brain or spine, that guys still gonna be on ya.  Why do you think you hear and read about so many stories of cops or troopers hitting a perp 5 or moe times?  Believe me, it's the loss of blood that stops.

We could take this off-line and talk things like wound cavity size, vital organs hit and other really interesting things of the trade.  Just don't think that your weekly practice (which is admirable and much more than the average gun owner) will equate to practice under stress and/or low light situations.  I just don't think you're just gonna smoothly remove your gun lock (another topic for discussion) and engage the target calmly and halt his advance with a shot or two of your .45 compromise weapon.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

StumpysWife

So, um, yeah.

My CRV goes good through the snow, too.

Heather   ;D

cornercamping

:o  I actually agree with you for once  :o  You're right, I have never thought about gas lines, ect.  But, here's my point of view.  Let's say the crack head breaks in, and kills the dog.  At that point, I'm unloading the whole damn clip on his ass.  I'm not a perfect shot, but I can get close enough where if I put 6 shots in your chest, I"m sure you'll hit the ground.  Then, after a few shots in the chest, I'm aiming for the head.   Now, not saying that under stressfull conditions it'll work and I"ll hit the mark, but I'll sure as hell do my best.  But, I can guarantee one thing.  I'm unloading the whole clip, even after he hits the ground.  Right or wrong, I don't give a damn.  Even after he's dead I'm still pulling the trigger.   Someone breaks into my house, and kills a trained protection dog, has no other intention than taking my life just as quick.  Therefore, all bets are off.  Screw what the law says.  They wanna prosecute, I'd be more than happy to take it to trail, and let a jury convict me.  I don't think they would.  Especially after he killed a professionally trained protection dog.  :-/

Regardless, I feel sorry for the poor bastard that breaks into my house...  The minute he comes thru my window, I decide if he lives or dies.  

cornercamping

QuoteSo, um, yeah.

My CRV goes good through the snow, too.

Heather   ;D

CRV= Chicks Car

Where you're at, you guys need Excursions with a plow on the front  8)