Middle-weight mods?

Started by Scotty Ryan, January 21, 2005, 10:34:48 AM

Scotty Ryan

I have a 2004 GSXR 600 and we feel that it is down on power from what everyone else is claiming. Here are my questions, first what can I do to the bike for it to still be legal, can you do a valve job and if so how many angles are you allowed 3-5-10? Can I use adjustable cam timing gears? Just how much gasket surface are you allowed to remove to be supersport legal? And last of all how do the CCS rules compare to the AMA rules? Thanks for helping the clueless.
                                                   Scotty
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

cardzilla

You can download a copy of the rulebook from the ccs home page under forms.
You can slot the cams, mill the head (no limit), full radius valve job.  AMA is a lot tighter, nitpicky even by comparison... the wire harnesses connections all have to be removed at the connectors, and you must be able to plug in a taillight and make it work (for example).
But always check the rules for yourself, never go by what someone else tells you  ;)
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

Hey, Scott...

The bike needs to accelerate.  So, the top HP is not always relevent.

Rossi, we all know, was down on top speed and HP from the Honda's but won.

Yeah, you can to the cam gears, etc.

Getting it "jetted" in correctly is going to be very important for getting out of the corner.  Set up too.  Got to have traction to use everything.

So, where are you at now?
Super Dave

Scotty Ryan

Right now we are at 101.7hp with a Micron system,BMC filter and VP U4, Brian Westphal @ Win Racing does our dyno work and our Power commander adjusting. We tried a Yosh TI system,other then weighing half as much, we did not find much gain if any. We also tried VP MR9 and found about 3 to 4 more HP, and it picked up the power curve a good margin all the way across the boad but at $20 a gallon that could get expensive. Next we are going to check cam timing to see if that is in spec. so that's where we are right now, I will update you as things come along.   ~Scotty~

chris_chops

Scotty,
    Are you really in Lemont?  You shoud come by and say hello to Ken and I at SBKItalia.  We are right on Main ST. almost right under the bridge.  What are you doing with your suspension?  We are the midwest Ohlins Distributor/Service Center and we have got some good Ohlins products for that bike.  I have a 2004 Gsxr750 that we are playng around with.  These bikes are incredible!   And yes, we have good racer deals.  Talk to Graham if you are not familiar with me.  Injuries took me out right when you started.  I am looking to help out some good riders(and not so good) this year with their suspension.  Graham seems pretty amped on your abilities.

Matt    SBKItalia  630 243 9633

Super Dave

QuoteRight now we are at 101.7hp

With what kind of dyno?  This is important...
Super Dave

Scotty Ryan

Matt, I am off of work on Friday so sometime during the day I will stop by so that we can have a proper introduction. I live on Lemont road just south of I-55 at 97th st by the bank. I look forward to meeting you guys.

Dave, It was a Dyno Jet dyno, From what I am told they are not the most accurate things in the world. I am totaly on your side about the fact that it's not peak HP numbers but how your power builds to that point while on the track along with how the power get to the pavement. Truthfuly, even when I raced motocross/supercross I never had a bike with more power then the next person, so I am kind of used to having to work harder for results. I actually kind of like it that way because it just shows that it is the rider with talent and not the power of the motor. Also it is going to be cheaper to not do anything to the motor and I am trying to go that route this year so I can afford to race the whole season.

Super Dave

Yeah, but at least it gives you an idea...

My 2001GSXR600 made 104 stock with a pipe and fuel.  101 kind of blows...I'd hope for more.  What's the dyno operator say?
Super Dave

Scotty Ryan

Well we can put the VP MR9 in the bike and get a few HP, but at like 12 dollars a gallon more then VP U4($8.50 a gollon) i'm not sure if is worth the extra money.(very small race budget). But our dyno guy has gone through tons of different maps and exhaust-fuel-filter combos and we just can't seem to get higher then 106 HP. Now Our highest being with a BMC filter, which got us one peak HP-a Yosh TI system,which got use one peak HP but picked up the power curve a very small amount and cut the weight of the system in half, but is going to cost a pretty penny even in the like brand new but used condition, and VP MR9 which got us about three HP over the U4 and also picked up the power curve a very small amount. So Pat and Graham(my second helping hand at the track) think that we need to start off by checking the cam timing to make sure it is in spec and then if that all checks out fine then check into a valve job and maybe some other options to free up some more power.

Scotty Ryan

I will try to get a dyno graph and e mail it to you

Super Dave

Anyone tried doing a compression test or leak down for reference?

106 sounds better.  After supersporting, my old '01 600 did like 108.

Super Dave

chris_chops

QuoteMatt, I am off of work on Friday so sometime during the day I will stop by so that we can have a proper introduction. I live on Lemont road just south of I-55 at 97th st by the bank. I look forward to meeting you guys.

Sounds good.  See you on friday. :)  I thought I saw a moto racetruck over by the bank last year.  That must be you.

Matt