News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What will kit ECU do for you ?

Started by burniepd, January 19, 2005, 06:47:19 AM

burniepd

Just purchased 05 R6 and it is my first fuel injected bike. I am planning on doing aftermarked pipe, power commander, air filter, and slide stops.

Here is the discription on from YEC:
Engine control unit (ECU) (Modified)
This parts use to create optimal ignition characteristic for race usage.
The numerical value is changed to match with modified camshafts.
Use this ECU together with the kit wire-harness. The fuel injection in four areas can be adjusted with the standard meter assembly.

Since i am not using the kit cams will there still be a benefit from the ECU and would your recommend it.

Also does anyone know when you need the AIS plug set
These plugs need to be mounted when the AIS (Air Induction System) is removed. Is this normally done when you install aftermarked pipe?

Sorry for stupid question but this my first Yamaha and Fuel injected bike. My last bike was a Kawi xz6r 01.

Thanks for the help.
Nov 826

cornercamping

I"ll give you both the technical and non-technical answers:

Non Technical: It's an ECU with modified settings from OEM that increase performance with different modifications.

Technical:

"Performance ECU's" are ECU's which have been "cracked" in order to rewrite the .bin files of the OS that control fuel, timing, ect.   Usually, they will take an ECU, hook it up to a disassembler, and extract the OE files.  Then, they use a hex editor to view what the factory file data.  After reviewing the factory files, they can dyno tune a bike and modifiy the factory .bin files to "tweak in" the optimal settings with those components on the bike.  If the ECU is OTP (one time programmable) then they need to desolder and replace the factory EEPROM with a new one that contains the new .bin files that contain the performance code changes.
Usually, they can just change factory settings a little bit to tweak it in.  Or, they can get OEM ECU's that don't contain an OS, and flash their own operating system.

As far as powercommanders, those things do pretty much the same thing, but they jump on the harness and moderate the data that the ECU sends and recieves and changes it as it comes thru to a "performance" setting by calculating what the factory data coming accross is.

Whew....

;)

cornercamping

I'd get a power commander type deal because it's adjustable and if you make any changes, you can upload new .bin files to the powercommander to accomadate your changes.   ECU's are usually only good for certain parts and you can't modify the ECU's characteristics.

:)

mdr14

While I do not have experience with the Yamaha kit ECU, I do with the Suzuki.

I only got the suzuki kit ECU to raise my redline. That is the only reason I purchased it. Some corners, an extra 500 rpm was all the difference.

I used it in conjunction with a Power Commander to remap the fuel injection.

I hope that helps you out.
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

MELK-MAN

i currently have 2 very very good R6's.. one is an 03r6, the other is a FUSA championship winning r6. GET the suspension done.. then worry about the motor. The motor is very good outa the box. YEs, all the items your discussing will help, but i have the stock ECU on both and these bike haul ass. Also.. who will be mapping these bikes after all the goodies are in? you could just buy VP U4 fuel and have a 5hp increase with no effort at all as well.. If you do all that, and are going to run race fuel, get the bike mapped to that fuel and after all the stuff is in. The kit ECU will allow you to adjust timing without openin the side case cover, but just run stock timing.. Or, for 60$ get the +4 advancer or an adjustable timing gizmo.. rather than a very expensive kit ECU...
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

dsb

With the kit ECU and a stock harness you can do all of the mapping that you can do with a Power Commander and then some... With the kit ECU and the race harness (which may not be legal in the class you want to run) you have even more adjustability. Take a look at the kit manual, here's a link to the PDF, its the 5th post , the link is 'and Free Dessert' ...

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995

BTW, supposedly you can accomplish most of this with the stock ECU, take a look here:

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15407

HTH,
Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

Dan actually posted informative and useful information!

Could this be the seventh sign of the apocalypse? :o
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

cornercamping

QuoteDan actually posted informative and useful information!

Could this be the seventh sign of the apocalypse? :o

Shhhh... you'll ruin my image  8) ;D

H-man

Naa.  Dan's little girl got a hold of the keyboard.  Dan's not that smart ;D
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

cornercamping

QuoteNaa.  Dan's little girl got a hold of the keyboard.  Dan's not that smart ;D

:-[  Busted  :'(

;) ;D

cornercamping

QuoteWith the kit ECU and a stock harness you can do all of the mapping that you can do with a Power Commander and then some... With the kit ECU and the race harness (which may not be legal in the class you want to run) you have even more adjustability. Take a look at the kit manual, here's a link to the PDF, its the 5th post , the link is 'and Free Dessert' ...

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995

BTW, supposedly you can accomplish most of this with the stock ECU, take a look here:

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15407

HTH,
Dave

Since it's winter time and I'm bored and all, I decided to read all the information that they have in the above links, and review it. So, this is kinda what I came up with.

Yamaha, and whomever builds the ECU for them have set up subroutines for calibration under the factory table files.  The subroutines can be "called up" by putting the ECU into a "test mode" state, and using the dash cluster to select the appropriate subroutines.  The only problem is that those subroutines more than likely won't necessarily fall within the perimeters you are trying to acheive.  See, an OS in an embedded system is considered as "real time operation" where forumlas are calculated on the fly, and all the perimeters are adjusted accordingly.   So, that being said, what you would need to actually do is dissassemble the OS, get the appropriate hex editor, and look at all the OS files.  Each file is broken down into a "main loop."   Each main loop contains different opeartional characteristics of the bike itself.  Here's an example of a main loop structure:

Main Loop 1: reads most of the inputs such as Ignition, MAP, TPS etc.

Main Loop 2: engine run state calc, Idle calcs,Inj PW calc

Main Loop 3: fuel pump, electronics opeartion, ect.

So, when disassembling, you need to find the right main loop, and then look at the data in it.  For instance, each portion of the air to fuel ratio's is calculated by a math formula.  Don't ask me because I have no idea what it is, but to make a change in air to fuel, you would simply change some fo the digits in the formula.  Then, you'd reassemble the OS, and reload it in the ECU, and dyno test to see the differences.  
One major problem is the multiple checksums that occur with these types of ECU's.  You really need to know the assembly languaage of these things, and understand what is what.  Then, to top it all of, you can spend 6 months rewriting code, because when you change one file, you have to go back and change all the others.  The only time it's beneficial to buy a performance ECU, is when you have the software, knowledge, and equipment to calibrate the entire OS on your own, and be able to do it track side, because if anything changes including enviromental conditions, the result will be different.  Also, the ECU "we" have access to on an aftermarket level, really can't offer much flexibility.  Change anything on the bike that isn't in the factory calibration, like exhaust pipes, and the bike could be worse.   So, the best thing to get is a PowerCommander from DynoJet.   This way, if you want to fiddle around with factory calibraitons, attempt to write your own calibration files, and upload them.  This way, worse case is you reload the last file you used.  Atleast with a PowerCommander you have room to play.  With an ECu, you really don't have many options other than what was already programmed in it, unless you know assembly language and have about $5K in equipment to break it down in your garage.  Then, if you have about 5 years, once you have it all tweaked in, and then the weather changes, it's time to start all over again.   Atleast with the powercommander, you can do trial and error.  DynoJet gives you the software and everything you need.  ECU's need perfection more or less.  Think you can do it?  MotoGP has a couple mechanics, and then a couple ENGINEER's for a reason.

Whew....

;)

cornercamping

another thing you could do if you wanted to, is disassemble the subroutines that the factory gives you, and then save the files.  Then, modify them accordingly, and load them into a PowerCommander.  It can be done.  It's alot work, but more than possible.   Just a brainfart... :)