News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Do you prefer...

Started by Dawn, January 19, 2005, 05:07:45 AM

Dawn

From the aspect of driving on snow covered slippery roads.  

:)

davegsxrold929r

hmm to have fun or for travelling,.

i love to go play when it snows with a rear wheel drive.,  

but for getting where you want to go., AWD ..

ekraft84

Normal driving: AWD/4WD.

Parking lots/snowy roads with no traffic:  RWD.

:)
Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

stephenr928

Front Wheel Drive......With studded snow tires!!
Mounted on steel rims, for nascar style tire changing in my garage.
(ABS & traction control to make it a no brainer.)

Steve
MA  #92
cbr 600 F2
(My Heart Still Remains in the Great Plains)

cornercamping

I can't vote  :(

"An Error Has Occured!

An error occured with this poll and the vote could not be counted. Sorry for the inconvinience."

My vote: AWD or Selectable 4WD  :D

Dawn

OK....

I gave it three years...  

I HATE front wheel drive cars in the snow.  You just don't have the feel that you get with a rear wheel drive, plus with a RWD vehicle, you can use the rear end to help steer the car.

Oh well, the car is paid for, get's good gas mileage, and if I smuck it up...  No big loss.

Dawn  

the_weggie_man

OK, let me figure this out. You miss the feel of RWD in the snow? The RWD feel comes from the rear end sliding, which means you were driving your RWD car too fast for conditions. Now you have FWD and the rear end doesn't slide anymore. Gee, that's what FWD is all about, better traction in bad conditions, no sliding = safer. Something tells me you need to slow down........ ;D ::)

I drive an F250 4x4 and it rarely goes into 4WD. My wife drives a Chrysler minivan FWD and she loves it in the snow. I must say I do too, it goes through any snow out there with no problems and it handles great.

TZDeSioux

FWD or 4WD over RWD anyday in crappy chicago streets.

K3 Chris Onwiler

RWD is more fun, right up to the point where you crash or get stuck.  FWD with stick is the ticket for fuel economy combined with snowy travel.  With the stick shift and some intelligence, you won't likely get stuck, and can make much better time than the RWD folks.  The hand brake gets the rear loose when you need it, and a jab on the gas will arrest the slide if you overdo the hand brake.  I can TEAR UP a snowy street in a 4 cyl, FWD stick shift car!
My teammate's Expedition with 4wd, traction control and ABS is the safest, best snow rider I've ever been in.  I watched Dave slalom (I DO mean slalom!) through a pack (and I DO mean a pack) of spinning cars one night on I-80, and just couldn't believe we'd survived.  Awesome!
A WRX would be better still.... ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

StumpysWife

My CR-V is the cat's @ss in the winter up here in the U.P. On Christmas day we got about 18", plows were just doing ambulance routes, etc. and it just carved right through it like bare road.  Plus I can see over the snow banks!

Heather

Dawn

QuoteOK, let me figure this out. You miss the feel of RWD in the snow? The RWD feel comes from the rear end sliding, which means you were driving your RWD car too fast for conditions. Now you have FWD and the rear end doesn't slide anymore. Gee, that's what FWD is all about, better traction in bad conditions, no sliding = safer. Something tells me you need to slow down........ ;D ::)

Yea.....

I knew I would have to explain myself on this one.....

I drive a 100 miles a day, and the road conditions can vary widely from one road to the next.  The one thing that I really miss with a RWD vehicle is that little wiggle that your butt feels when the roads are starting to get slippery.  My FWD car... yeah, you can touch the brakes lightly, but that may put your car into a slide.  Plus, when you try to turn and go forward on ice covered roads, your car just plows ahead.  At least with a RWD vehicle, you can turn the wheels, blip the throttle, and your pointed in the right direction.

I used to drive a 3/4 ton desiel truck back and forth to work and only had to put it in 4WD to get up our road at times (the plow truck doesn't feel it's necessary to plow our road).  Before that it was a whole series of RWD vehicles.

I guess it's just what your used to.

Dawn

Super Dave

I'm always into cost...

FWD...with a hand operated emergency brake.
Super Dave