Summit Point Shenadoah Circut

Started by njracer1, January 18, 2005, 11:58:18 AM

njracer1

Since we have 2 dates scheduled for 2005 do we know if there has been any changes to the "track of death"???  Is armco being moved so in case we decide to run off the track and check out the hot girl in the bikini we dont die hitting da big bad scary not friendly armco? ???

nj

njracer1

I guess I'll be racing da CRF fiddy to avoid DEATH!!!

nj

davegsxrold929r

QuoteI guess I'll be racing da CRF fiddy to avoid DEATH!!!

nj

i do not think you are much better on the 50y

castle228

I haven't heard any updates to the new circuit recently.

I do know there were a select few racers that went out late last season to do some "test laps"and he just happened to have an onboard camera. I think I recall the top speed being 120mph, even then it was just for a brief moment. It's a very VERY technical track with average speeds being somewhere in the area of 45mph - 65mph.

The first race weekend at Summit is scheduled for April, so I'm sure more people will be chiming in with their opinions once they check out the progress.

I am not a racer, nor do I represent Summit Point. Good luck to one and all if bike races are held on this circuit. You can rest asure though, MARRC will be there to help you out....in case you do pay a personal visit to the armco.
Chris Astle
CCS MA AM #458
MARRC Cornerworker 
www.marrc.org

PJ721

Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

Thumper881

It's the stuff they put around the track to keep you from messing up the grass. ;)

Eric Kelcher

They did not use armco at Shenandoah and after the test Kevin suggested several changes then the karters tested suggested changes some that would be nice some that would be required before either would race there. Last word all changes required for racing were being made and some of the wishes as well.  

Now this is not to say that there will not be hazardous areas, I have not been there, but that those that remain were unavoidable as opposed to concrete placed next to track just cause they didn't want to clear a few more trees like the plans had called for which was most of the problems with the circuit in its as tested state.

PS the track runs counter clockwise (opposite of what everyone keeps thinking) and does not run the full straight
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

PJ721

I must be dumb... well I know I am...but I still dont know what armco is!!! concrete? walls? that gravel stuff?

???
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

WebCrush

QuoteI must be dumb... well I know I am...but I still dont know what armco is!!! concrete? walls? that gravel stuff?

???

metal guard rails, same as you see on the highways

PJ721

Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

davegsxrold929r

Quote:o

I dont like that stuff!

as well you should not... LOL... bad bad stuff..

eh427

QuoteI must be dumb... well I know I am...but I still dont know what armco is!!! concrete? walls? that gravel stuff?

???
Yes, you are. It is the stuff you would hit when you take one of your off track excursions. Just kidding ;D
Eric Helmbach
CCS #427
ASRA Team Challenge Overall #1
Chester Auto Repair Racing
Grease Monkey Racing

PJ721

hey there you are! been waiting for your input on this one!
 ;D

talk to you during the week to set up plans for the trip to the banquet Saturday...
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Chuck

rider + Armco = hurting for sure...sorry for stating the obvious.

brian213

The video is pretty cool.  The track map looks quite nice, though I'd arrange it differently..using another long straight and more corners.  :)

Found this on the USGPRU site:

http://blackmotorcycles.com/BlackMotorcycles/images/Shenandoa/SummitPointShenandoah1.htm

Looks like a really fun track (maybe not on a 1000, I think the camera is on an R1) but FOOOOK the walls! I hope they get and use a ton of air fence!

-Brian

PJ721

who were the 3 riders? and if you are on the board... what are your opinions of the track?
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

SVbadguy

Quotewho were the 3 riders? and if you are on the board... what are your opinions of the track?

Ricks Beggs had the camera on his Kawi, Darren Danilowicz was on his SV, Nate Kern on a GSXR1000 (who you don't see), and someone I don't know on the 125.

Rick reads/posts occasionally.  He says if you don't have a problem racing Loudon, you shouldn't have a problem racing Shenandoah.  A few changes are/will be made and another test session will be held.  MARRC may even do a full on cornerworking test at the same time to figure out the best way to work it.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

brian213

Quotewho were the 3 riders? and if you are on the board... what are your opinions of the track?
Scott Moxey is on the 125 in front of the R1.

-Brian

ew422

That is easily the dumbest thing I have ever seen.  Count me out.  Anyone who wants to race there is a moron.  Can you not find a better track on a particular weekend???  I would not even race my kart there.   Doing laps is one thing.  Racing is another.  Sheesh...

Eric Kelcher

That was the test that was run prior to any walls being moved. Don't base the racing or proximty of walls on that video. There are several changes that were to happen, maybe Rick can let us know what the changes are?  
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

PJ721

QuoteCount me out. .

wimp!  ;)

but as of now....until I see it...I wont make any judgments...
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

pmoravek

Uuuum Gee guys.....
I don't know why everyone has their knickers in a twist. At least there are tests being performed, with qualified, experienced riders.
Most tracks would take a stance of...
"Here is our layout and kiss my a$$ if you don't like it."

Why don't we at least give the folks at Summit Point and CCS a chance to do their jobs before the bitchfest begins. ::)

If you want to complain about unsafe tracks, there are plenty to go around before you get to one the nobody has raced on yet.

eh427

QuoteThat is easily the dumbest thing I have ever seen.  Count me out.  Anyone who wants to race there is a moron.  Can you not find a better track on a particular weekend???  I would not even race my kart there.   Doing laps is one thing.  Racing is another.  Sheesh...
Wussy. ;D
Eric Helmbach
CCS #427
ASRA Team Challenge Overall #1
Chester Auto Repair Racing
Grease Monkey Racing

jp233

yeah I am interested to know what Moxey and the other riders thought of the track...... and I hope some of those walls get moved yowzers!
Tactical Racing #233

Rick Beggs

camera is on a zx6r, mine, top speed on a speedo was 145, speedo error is about 15 per hr, so we will probably hit 140 at least on a clean track with rubber down, this will be a fun track, less than 2 miles with 20 corners, very technical,
i spoke with a cart club that tested there, and the changes summit agreed to do 4 them are different than ours, and we might be able to incorporate them into our layout also, kevin will make that decision
over all, the track is much safer than loudon, not as safe as vir, probably safer than daytona, i look foward to racing there
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

njracer1

Quotecamera is on a zx6r, mine, top speed on a speedo was 145, speedo error is about 15 per hr, so we will probably hit 140 at least on a clean track with rubber down, this will be a fun track, less than 2 miles with 20 corners, very technical,
i spoke with a cart club that tested there, and the changes summit agreed to do 4 them are different than ours, and we might be able to incorporate them into our layout also, kevin will make that decision
over all, the track is much safer than loudon, not as safe as vir, probably safer than daytona, i look foward to racing there

If you think it's safer than Loudon then I'm in.

Do you know if there will be extensive use of air fence in crash zones like Loudon uses?

nj

Rick Beggs

they said it would probably be the foam things in front of the walls
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

RADRB8

I look fwd to checking it out after the changes have been made...Looks like fun to me... ;D def need a track day for sure... ;D
Tactical Racing
ASRA #93
CCS # 93
TPM Coach #93
Never Underestimate the Old Guys...

2006 R6