Suomy Helmets

Started by Mongrel, September 28, 2001, 07:31:33 AM

Mongrel

Does anyone have any info on these helmets, Good Bad?  Are they legal for use in CCS?  How is the fit?  How is the ventilation?  Anyone crash tested one?

Thanks in advanced.

G_2_G

There is a guy on our team that uses one and he loves it.  We race CCS and he has not any problems getting through tech.  They feel as light as an Aria.  I have been trying to find a place that sells them cheap but nadda.  Even though I don't own one I do recomend them.

fzr400tony

www.xtrememotorsports.com had them for sale.  fairly cheap too, like #320??  unfortunately, they couldn't answer the tech question either.  

Racer X

Suomy's top line are all DOT-218 and ACU/BSI Gold rated, which I believe is the Euro equivilant of Snell 2000. So, far all of the racing orgs here in the states
honor those ratings. In fact there is no reason not to.
There are an array of Euro lids that are ACU/BSI
rated and they are some of the best in the business.
OGK, Suomy, AXO, Vemar, HJC, Spada, Dainese, Shark and FM These are all worn regularly in Britian and throughout Europe. Alot of them are not imported, and the ones that are, usually cost more. Not because they are any better than whats available domestically, but rather due to the tarrifs and shipping. Though you can buy HJC, and Suomy here in the states now very easily. Whatever helmet you decide on, just be sure to get a composite type.
IMO these are the best. A mix of Carbon/Kevlar/
Dyneema/polymers or 'glass will offer the best type of impact resistance. I don't care who the maker is, if the lid is constructed of these materials, and is Snell or ACU/BSI rated then the protection is going to be  just about equal. If you want the Suomy,
go for it. They are some of the coolest looking melon protectors. You can check out their product line at: www.suomy.com
As far who carry's them, I would checkout the web first, usually better deals to be had.
I know  www.gearboxinternational.com has them,
as well as a few other places.

Eric Kelcher

I know Moto-Liberty carries them I personally do not care for the fit of them compared to Shoei or Arai.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Mongrel

Thanks for all the replies.  Great info.  The reason I asked about the CCS is because some organizations specifically state the need for a full coverage helmet that meets the latest 2 Snell standards.  That would be 95 and 2000 now.  I think that the CCS rulebook states full coverage helmet that meets the Snell standard, and I know that the Suomy is not Snell rated even though the standard it meets is equal to the Snell.  Again thanks for all the info.

You can also get the helmets at www.kneedragers.com  

Admin

Thats interesting information.  I've often wondered what kinds of helmets the GP guys are wearing, as they look like they have some kind of outer shell on them.  Anyone know what they wear?

Shawn

LonnieM

I have one, they are good helmets, for me I wear a large and they seem to fit a little smaller than arai's, or shoei's.

funksouljon

One of the local guys owns a shop. http://www.fasttrixx.com
He sells suomys and also has one he rides with on the street. He says he loves it. Fits like an Arai. He must be happy since he could sell it to a customer and get anything he wanted!

cbecker33

Hey LonnieM, fancy seeing another r1 forum member here.....anyway how's the noise level in a suomy??  It's gonna be pulling double duty as a street helmet, so I do't want it to loud.  CCS won't allow a helmet eith rash on it, huh?  How bout if I get it repainted, will it pass inspection??

Chris

Admin

cbecker,

I'm sure, if the helmet is in a safe status, they would allow you to wear it...but if its obviously damaged, why would you want to wear it?

I know I went whole hog on my safety gear (I'm even thinking about a chest protector!).

Shawn

CCS

CCS only requires the helmet pass DOT standards, this is a by-product of our former AMA affiliation, where the AMA didn't want to offend anyone who contributed to their legal fund. Can't blame them.

We haven't changed simply because it is up to the rider to choose their own level of protection, once they pass the minimum standards. All of the helmets tests are done by the manufactuer itself anyway, so we all know how well self testing/policing works. Yes Snell does some random tests, but for the thousands of helmets sold by each manufacturer they may get to check .001 percent of them.

In sumation, if your happy with it and it carries a DOT number, wear it.

Be seeing you.

Kevin
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127