News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

ATTENTION TIFFANY!  ROC at Mid Ohio?

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, January 12, 2005, 02:36:55 AM

K3 Chris Onwiler

I've heard a rumor that SCCA is moving their Runoffs to Topeka after the 2005 date.  That would probably leave Mid Ohio available for a CCS ROC at a track that is central in the country, and also a place where none of us really have a home field advantage.  Mid Ohio is also a place where having the best motor isn't quite so important.
An interesting possibility.  Just thought you might like to know....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Stinger562

I would love to run at Mid-Ohio just not at the end of October, I think thats the real advantage of keeping it down south.  

hdpromos

At the 2003 ROC in Daytona, Florida riders won 23 CCS/F-USA Championships. At the 2004 ROC at Homestead, Florida riders won 12 or 13 Championships (if you consider Geoff May a Fl. rider as he was living there at the time)! So much for home track advantage! :o

HD

Super Dave

Have you ever ran down the back straight at Mid-Ohio?  It's long.  There's the HP advantage.

And October in Ohio?

Again, try gridding 40 bikes at Mid-Ohio...last rows are down a hill.
Super Dave

Super Dave

While I'm at it...

Road Atlanta...

Did a WERA/FUSA race there in 1991...I was completely in the last corner for the start.

Very few places where you can actually have a real 80 bike field reasonably.  I'd say Road America, cr@p weather, and Daytona.  

How about Robeling Road?
Super Dave

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

Rode there for a track day...Traffic...WOW!

Alternatives...

Move the location and limit the entries.

Keep it at Daytona.

HP and advantage?  Did Ryan Jonason have an advantage at Homestead?

How about this...

Did Barney have an advantage at the Daytona tire test when he rode a former factory R6 from 2003 against they Hayden boys on their current 600's with a top speed of about 175MPH...that didn't help them beat Barney's lap time...
Super Dave

mdr14

Better yet, why not have a play off system, or qualifiers for the main?

We can even have betting to see how many red flags per qualifying heat.
Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

K3 Chris Onwiler

Gee.  Tried to make a suggestion for what might possibly be possible.  My bad.
Seems like the guys from Cali would appreciate not having to drive to Florida....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

gma

Half the field would miss their races - taking the time to show the proper credentials, fingerprints, DNA samples and proof of birth to the security staff to get to the racing surface.

Nicky Hayden didn't publicly state that 'Security here has always been a joke' in a post-race press conference for no reason. Ask around - you'll find that they have had a long-standing problem there with this. I think their efforts have been in the interest of preventing things like the starbabyz cook-off and ankle-snapping clinic that happened last year. But then again, they weren't too effective, now were they? (QEDMF)

I think the history pages will reveal a high profile rider recently being arrested for effectively no reason. I can't remember the details too well, but I think that that track's security staff was at the center of it ... not sure I remember correctly, though ... might want to check ... hmmm.

Also, it's nick-named 'rain-ohio' for a reason. I don't think a rain-off has happened in recent memory that wasn't marred by rain. And camping in the mud? Forget it. That time of year for weather tends to suck.

Until they fix the transitions between the patches and the ashphalt, get practiced at having the bike do a violent dance out from underneath you.

How much is a hot dog worth? $8? $10? Maybe that's low ... not sure ... will have to check ...

Also, nothing in that city or the surrounding area supports a spectator base. The MOSCC AMA event is the best attended one on the circuit and the track's biggest event. Cleveland is the #3 per-capita motorcycle market in the country. The fans are very, very savvy. I doubt they will come out for our ROC. At least DIS gets some incidental spectator traffic.

However the track is pretty outstanding. With the relocation of the turn 11 wall, the most unforgiving corner on the circuit is now a little safer - but not much.

The layout is very fast, smoothly rhythmic and majestic. No other track - even Roads Atlanta and America - can replicate this track's character.

The location is within 500 miles of 50% of the American population. Perhaps that is a plus.

Hotel and restaurant support in the surrounding area is improving, but still seems a long way off from being able to effectively manage big events.

Just some thoughts ...

Super Dave

It was Schwantz that was arrested at Mid-Ohio.
Super Dave

Bad_Matt

QuoteSeems like the guys from Cali would appreciate not having to drive to Florida....

what California Racers?  AFM, WERA, or WSMC?

gma

thx dave - wasn't sure if i remembered it correctly.

please accept my apology for not chatting at the banquet. i only got to smile and say hello as i was flitting about. please don't interpret my displaced mind as the rude act of ignoring you.

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteHalf the field would miss their races - taking the time to show the proper credentials, fingerprints, DNA samples and proof of birth to the security staff to get to the racing surface.

Aint that the truth (from 1st hand experience long time ago).  >:( >:(
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

gma

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteGotchyo back, too, Rob - Thx

I still wont go to Mid-O anymore anyways. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

cardzilla

Nooooooooooooooo. Daytona is about tradition.  I will remember forever my first year racing there in the rain... wait monsoon... no, hurricane.  Yeah, that accurately describes it.  Of course, in 1993 there wasn't a rule for rains in supersport so riding DOTs in rain so bad you couldn't see through the windscreen was a real joy!  The sheet of running water on the banking was also very cool.  Still another thing I learned that day: when crashing out of the chicane, it is possible to smack the wall with the aid of the water... kinda like a high speed slip n' slide.  I still wouldn't change a thing, nothing beats Daytona.

PS-will somebody at the track please park a scarecrow or something in the East Horseshoe, the seagull poo makes for less than desireable traction.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

1993...yup.  

Led a couple of middleweight races.

Estok, Yates, Morrison, Murphy, Bowman, Rothman, Harrington.

Was a time when Honda paid well and the bikes were attainable.

I have a burn on my butt to this day from highsiding out of the chicane and sliding with my bike around the circumfirance of turn three.  I though I wore through my leathers, but they just got so hot that it burnt the leather, and then transfered the heat to me.

Anyway, recognize that the France family was an extremely important part to starting CCS with Roger Edmonson.  Daytona regardless of if you like it or not IS Daytona.  It's a huge name like the Nurburgring, Laguna, Spa, Monza, etc.  It's not a cake walk.  It's never easy, but it always will be Daytona.
Super Dave

Protein Filled

QuoteI have a burn on my butt to this day from highsiding out of the chicane and sliding with my bike around the circumfirance of turn three.  

Hey, I did almost the same thing, except I fractured my elbow in the process (back in 1992)...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

eh427

Eric Helmbach
CCS #427
ASRA Team Challenge Overall #1
Chester Auto Repair Racing
Grease Monkey Racing

hdpromos

I think the ROC should go back to Homestead where there doesn't seem to be any home track advantage! ::)

HD

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteHey, I did almost the same thing, except I fractured my elbow in the process (back in 1992)...
And yet you were still running yellow plates in 2002? :-/

EX#996

QuoteAnd yet you were still running yellow plates in 2002? :-/

... and here we thought Kevin Clark was a sandbagger!

:D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Protein Filled

QuoteAnd yet you were still running yellow plates in 2002? :-/

Hey, I got connections, you know... ;D

Nah, actually, I raced about 6 times in 3 years back then as a novice in the FL region until I ran out of money, so I quit racing for 7 years. I started racing again once I moved to Minnesota.

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

K3 Chris Onwiler

A likely story...  Likely bull doo doo! ;D