News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Yes, more shedule complaining, sorry!

Started by 9flyer, January 11, 2005, 04:03:59 PM

9flyer

Sorry for what inveribly will be seen as whining (from first time poster no less).  But, I'm not the only one on the western edge of the "region".  I know one thread has already brought up some points.  I just wanted to add another point from out west so it is known that "OTHER RIDERS" have similar concerns so it's not viewed as "just a couple".  I know Steve has voiced concerns, I just wanted to add another voice.

First, I have fours years of track riding with 1 year of racing local events at MAM two years ago.  I'm a constant face at MAM.  I've also done conerworking for the CCS when they've come to MAM.

Numerous riders in the Omaha area have expressed interest in racing.  With just one CCS event at MAM and one event at Topeka they quickly realize the travel that will be faced.  They look at the $$$s at can see it will be a very expensive endeavor.  Not just talking the race related cost.

For example I just recently figured up some numbers.  For me to race the "Great Plains Region", (if I want a chance for a championship), the season will be over 8500 miles of driving.  With a 1936 mile round trip to Barber alone.  Now that one I just don't get! (now I know there are some here that MAY do more than that I'm just talking Omaha folks)  I know a racer from Florida that went to this same Barber event last year.  He races Formula Forty and other classes.  It was a $2200 dollar trip that do to numerous factors (not with him personally, red flags and such) he got a grand total of 9 laps in that trip!!!  Plus, numerous other horror stories I've heard that is one trip I'm just not excited to make.

With rough math I figure OVER $$5200 in just travel related expenses.  This does not yet include entry fees, tires, or other RACE related costs.  Which can vary by bike and personal preference.

Let's say that I need to get a race bike on top of it.  With the purchase of the race bike, race related expense and travel expenses I could potentially and pretty easily have a $15,000 to $20,000 dollar cost for one season.

NOW as just for me, a married, two young children, mortgaged, saving for college expenses rider, that has to convince my wife (who does not share a love for two wheels and I was married 16 years ago BEFORE this habit developed) that the above cost is NO PROBLEM.

Now I know, running a race organization is about $$$s and events at MAM have not been perfect in attendence or other ways.  BUT, I hope that, as mentioned in a previous thread, that a "region" that has a little less travel for us westerners can be developed and maybe western edge rider participation would go up as well.  NOT many local guys are going to pay for the race license and race prep a bike for ONE or maybe TWO events of racing that are close by.

Yes, Super Dave I'm sure you'll read this and I know you used to do it from here.  But, you also moved! :)  AND I can't move do to other obligations so I'm stuck trying to make a little dream of a full race season be possible.

Again, I apologize guys if this just appears to be a whine fest.  I'm just trying to communicate to any and all that there ARE more potential racers out this way.  

Lastly, I hope you all come race at MAM this July and give us a HUGE turnout so more dates can be considered in future years.

Thanks for listening.

G 97

I don't have any answers other than one MAM and one HPT event is better than none.  Also CRA will be running a couple of events at MAM in 05 as well.  As far as traveling it's an unfortunate reality you have to deal with if you want to run for a championship. I hate it too.  I lost count of miles at 150,000something a long time ago.
G

EX#996

Paul's 2003 Championship season was over 12,000 miles and $10,000+ without the cost of the bike.....

... racing is not a poor man's hobby, but it will make you one.

Dawn
Paul and Dawn Buxton

G 97

Quote... racing is not a poor man's hobby, but it will make you one.
Dawn

LOL.  So true.
How do you make a small fortune in racing?  Start with a big one. (insert rim shot)
I stopped counting $ a long time ago as well. I have kept all my receipts and when I am done I will look.  Until then........Ignorance is bliss.  
G

PJ

Quote Also CRA will be running a couple of events at MAM in 05 as well.

CRA is a good organization, and its fees are the lowest in roadracing ($80 license and $30 sprint fees). The schedule at cra-mn.org shows 5 events at BIR (about 500 miles from Omaha) and two events at MAM. For that 2000-mile trip to Barber you could do two weekends at Brainerd and focus on a CRA championship.

Or, do the three MAM weekends between both CCS and CRA. Do HPT. And throw in a few Blackhawks or Autobahns as budget allows...

Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

PJ

QuoteIgnorance is bliss.  

And boy are we happy!  ;D
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

K3 Chris Onwiler

9flyer, here's a question for you.  Where else besides MAM is convenient for you to race?  It seems like guys in your area are just geographicly screwed.
I've done the championship quest.  Two years @ 20k each netted me 8 championships, and busted me to the point where I've only been able to race sporadically since.  All I can suggest to you is that you try to limit expenses as much as possible.  Buy a lightweight bike, to save on parts & tires.  Find a teammate to travel with.  Eat rice and romin noodles.  
8 championships later, I can definitely say that it's not worth it.  In 6 years, I've probably dropped 75-80k to win roughly 100 trophies.  That's completely nuts!  
I can also say that I'll do it all again just as soon as I can finance it!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Jeff

LOL... I was laughing over the championship trophies of a friend at the banquet, saying that they were about $10k each (he had 3).  He replied "more like $15k".

I'm a bit over $24k last year without a bike purchase...  

I can either have a life, or race...  I choose to race for now...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

Now that we only have one racer in the family, our race weeknds run about about $800 each.

Tracks: 1 hour away (BHF and RA)

Bike:16 yrs old ('89 CB-1)

Classes run: Ultra LW SB and LW f-40

To run an entire season would come out to more like $1000-$1500 per weekend because it would increase tire costs, travel and other sundry expenses. For 2 peripheral classes. That's without crashes.

Do what  you can afford, have fun to the extreme, and love it like there's no tomorrow. When you cease to have fun, it's time to be done. What more can I say?
 :o ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

khanson

Guys....I don't know where you got these numbers at...

Heck I only spent about $3,500 a year when I club raced and did the entire AMA season last year on about $7K!

I think for next year my budget may finally break the 10K mark. ::)

Come on...this racing stuff is really affordable. 8) :-* ;D
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

LMsports

We are located on the Northwestern corner of Iowa, 110 miles north of Mid America right up I-29. We have 27 events on our schedule for this summer between CRA, CCS, FUSA, and Track Addix track days. In short, we're going everywhere. Being out this way, we really need to work together to get places. There is a great group of guys from the Omaha area that race CCS, with Dwayne Lang and Steve Richardson. Maybe track them down, and get hooked up together etc. Share some expenses and some drive time. Hopefully we can grow our number of racers out this way still if we all helped each other out a bit and then when the CCS does hold events out this way we can have a turnout that would allow CCS to consider more dates in this area. I think part of the responsibility is on us to show the CCS that we can fill race entries and spectator stands before they are going to make a large scale effort to hold more events here. The amount of racers in our local area nearly doubles each year. A big reason is that we are always going racing. Our street riding/track day customers from here see that and know they won't necessarily be going it alone and decide to give it a try, and that is all it takes. We have a nice community of racers growing here and I believe the local events will grow in popularity because of stuff like that. Let me know if I can help at all.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Super Dave

Yup, used to live in Omaha.

When I started there was no HPT, and certainly no MAM.

Blackhawk was the closest at 450 or so from my family's home on Cornhusker Drive.

Quicky, I recognized that road racing wasn't about convienience.  If I wanted to do that, I could race MX at Palmyra, NE, Greenfield, IA...race indoors with Ed Begley in Des Moines, Lincoln, and Omaha...For me, AMA National road racing was easy 'cause everything was 24 hours away.  Moved away because i did MAM nationals and I didn't need to be in a particular place.  Where I'm at was where my engine builder at the time was at.  Opportunity.

Now, teaching schools with a local track...pretty nice.

I wanted to teach schools once a month at MAM, but I had some problems with the track management.  Wasn't feesable.  
Super Dave