News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I did not miss racing yesterday

Started by Jeff, January 03, 2005, 05:26:50 AM

Jeff

Yep, yesterday was a day that I did not miss racing.  How could this be?  Well, I was out in the back garage putting hand mitts on the 4-fiddy in preparation for ice which may never come.  In the process, I decided to loop some safety wire through them to keep them closed around the controls and keep out cold air (should we ever get any).

There I was, heaving about 1/2 - 3/4 inches of safety wire through the mitt when it flew through the mitt AND my finger.  When the wire stopped entering my finger, I figured it hit bone.  Upon closer investigation, it missed the bone, but stopped when it hit the underside of my fingernail.  Talk about F'ing OUCH...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

cb186

your just getting ready for ice now? i've been out the last 2 weekends.  ;D
2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184
www.314racing.com, Hot Kitty's Pu$$ycat Lounge and Photo

Jeff

must be nice...  We've got plenty of ice, but now there's like 5" of standing water on top of it...  hoping for a deep-freeze later this week.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

OmniGLH

Sheezus Jeff what are you using to push the wire through the mitts?  A nail gun?

I've stuck myself countless times with safety wire... but never hard enough to shove it completely through my finger!!  

Your fantastic description just sent shivers down my back..... OUCH!  Maybe you should ease up on the 'ol enthusiasm there and save it up for the 2005 season ;)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Jeff

I had to get it through the nylon, so I grabbed the safety wire pliers, left about 1/2" or a bit more wire exposed and was pushing it through.  Naturally, a finger on the other side would help thing along  :-/

The damned thing still hurts, and I've got a neat line on the side of my finger from entry point to exit wound under my nail.  
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

chris_chops

jeff,
 I did that this summer when I was using some wire that was a little to thick.  It slipped out of the pliers and right through my finger.  I did not realize it went all the way through until it got a little infected and showed itself.  Anyways, I feel your pain. :o