Cylinder head machining?

Started by sv303, January 02, 2005, 04:33:23 PM

sv303

I'm going to be racing supersport next session. Since the motor is disassembled I was thinking of machining the cylinder heads.  In the rule book page 33  6.1.2E.(3)  It states "original equipment head, valves, and cams must remain as produced, with the exception of machining the gasket surface of the cylinder head.  

My questions are why do they let you do this and stay SS legal?  

What other advantages are there other than bringing up the compression ratio, more H.P. in the motor?

What are some disadvantges?    (Need to run race fuel?)

Rick Beggs

the main advantage is not having to tear down an engine to verify that it has not been done
there is no disadvantage to this rule that i can see.
it makes maintenance cleanup legal, and hardly anybody wins a race by 2 horsepower, and you may have to run high octane fuel
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

Woofentino Pugrossi

Only reason to maching the heads gasket surface is if the head is slightly warpped.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

BC61

QuoteOnly reason to maching the heads gasket surface is if the head is slightly warpped.

not really, a proper valve job usually requires milling the head to maintain compression that would otherwise be lost to deeper seats.

Super Dave

QuoteWhat are some disadvantges?    (Need to run race fuel?)

You will need to adjust the cam timing to keep it the same as it was before machining the cylinder head.

I think my cylinder head it cut on my motor, and I can still run 87 octane fuel no problem.  600's don't have a whole lot of space to worry about.  It's not like it's a big twin or anything.  That might give you grief...a twin size cylinder moving at 14k...
Super Dave