News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Repsol YPF is here!

Started by wilsav, December 30, 2004, 02:37:21 PM

wilsav

Repsol has taken 37 world titles in MotoGP. Now they're here in America. Repsol has teamed up with www.dialitintracktime.com to put together North America's top track day club. Do a track day with us and take home a winning experience!

Super Dave

Hey, William...

We can appreciate your motivation...

but there are other school and track day operators on the board here too.

If you're gonna post every couple of days, you might be moved over to the classified section.  

Or post your press releases to roadracingworld.com as most of us read that too.

Thanks, for keeping us informed! :)
Super Dave

Jeff

and your website 'cannot be found'  :D
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

wilsav

I do not intend to offend anyone. "What is a grid when not full?" Just trying to be competitive and give the rider more options. Raise the bar if you will.  :)

cornercamping

Super Dave

QuoteI do not intend to offend anyone. "What is a grid when not full?" Just trying to be competitive and give the rider more options. Raise the bar if you will.  :)

Thanks for the reply, William.

Grids not full?  Well, we could have a whole discussion about that.  Poor purses, cost of bikes, etc.  

Certainly, you're not offending anyone...

But it might be easier on this board to state something and then continue a discussion with your original post.  

Again, there are others that have schools on this board, but they refrain from hitting with a release once a week.

Creating a personal banter here might be better advertising.
Super Dave

Super_KC124

I thought track days hurt club racing attendence?

G 97

QuoteI thought track days hurt club racing attendence?

I think it is a wash.  You have some who start out doing track days than get an urge to race so they move on to racing.  Conversely, you have some that started racing and have raced a few years that still enjoy the track but want to do it in a less competitive stressful environment, so they go to track days.  Then you have both.  In any event, growing the sport in whatever capacity is key.  
G

Super Dave

I'd generalize that track days hurt club road racing.  My time might go back further than a lot of racers.

At one time, the only way to get on the track was to race.  Now you have track days.

Very different animals, track days and racing.  

Really depends upon what you want.

Seldom have I ever been able to use a track day as a good experience to "test" in a manner to really get a great opportunity to set up better.  Traffic considerations are there for the riders that ride at a more brisk pace.
Super Dave

Super_KC124

Racing:
Licsense fees $$$$$
Prepped race bike $$$$$
Entry fees $$$$$
Travel expenses $$$$$
Limited practice
5-10 lap races

Track days:
Little bike prep
Usually more track time than you can handle.

Grover

QuoteI think it is a wash.  You have some who start out doing track days than get an urge to race so they move on to racing.  Conversely, you have some that started racing and have raced a few years that still enjoy the track but want to do it in a less competitive stressful environment, so they go to track days.  Then you have both.  In any event, growing the sport in whatever capacity is key.  

This thread is officially off topic :)
I'd agree with Garth's opinion here.  I spent a couple years doing track days with several good organizations.  I had NO desire to race until I took the LCR class.  I only did that after months of nagging from friends.  Now I live for the 2 seconds between the 1 board going sideways and the green flag waving.

I will try to do a couple track days with organizations but most of my money will spent racing.  Couple years from now I may change my mind and start doing just track days.  I went back and did some track days this year and got frustrated by getting throttle jockeyed by rider's with more horsepower.  I'm a low pack lightweight rider and was reeling in liter class bikes in  two corners.    

I don't think track days hurt racing too much.  Some folks have NO desire to race, but still want to use the bike at the rider's potential.  While races would have larger grids without track days, the riders wouldn't have the skills to even be on the track with much faster people.  That takes some seat time on the track, in a *hopefully* non-competitive enviornment.

-Chris "Grover" Teal

Super_KC124

In the past, the only way to get track time was racing. I started out doing a couple of race schools just so I could take my gixxer on the track. I would not have started racing except for the fact I passed a liscensing clinic (LCR) at a CCS event and it got me to thinking about competing. Now with  a ton of track days, a person doesn't have to racec to get track time.  And your right. This thread has been hijacked. Sorry. :)

Burt Munro

Kevin... I need to send you some photos riding a bike with a white plate so you can change your avitar!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Super_KC124

QuoteKevin... I need to send you some photos riding a bike with a white plate so you can change your avitar!

You've got my e-mail address. ;)

I'll need help changing it. :-[

speedster_1

QuoteSeldom have I ever been able to use a track day as a good experience to "test" in a manner to really get a great opportunity to set up better.  Traffic considerations are there for the riders that ride at a more brisk pace.

I see your point but disagree.  Most t-day co. have open passing in the advance group...which as a racer you should be. I've used them to fine tune new suspension/chassis setups instead of race weekend...so I can really fine tune on Fridays practice instead of wasting time.  I can agree you might not push it hard like a race but it's possible if you can get over that mentally.  But that's no different from race practice.

ekraft84

Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

Super Dave

QuoteI've used them to fine tune new suspension/chassis setups instead of race weekend...so I can really fine tune on Fridays practice instead of wasting time

Kind of a difference of opinion.

If I'm working in traffic of "fast" track day guys, I'll get a bit lost.

Hard to fix a chassis when you can't get room to go fast enough to stress it.

Some people think that you go fast during the race, and practice is practice.

But are you going to experiment in a race going fast with out real world testing.  Some people go a second or two faster in a race than in practice.  

Well, what does that accomplish.  Now you're in virgin territory...who's at risk?  

Super Dave

tigerblade

Quote Some people go a second or two faster in a race than in practice.  

Well, what does that accomplish.  Now you're in virgin territory...who's at risk?  

Hey, I do that and I've only broken my back ONCE.   :P ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

speedster_1

You must be doing track days that have pretty full Advance groups.  Full groups or not, Solution: Line up first...newbs won't catch you and you get a clean track...not to mention any racer should be passing advanced newbs so fast it's not an issue (I do pass more safely at t-days) and most of your laps will be clean w/o being held up.  I've ridden a few t-day were ama guys were on the track w/ me, I know there are there to practice and they never complained of being held up.  Doing t-day at Barber in march I'll see how it goes! but I've never had any problems at any STT event.  Monte runs a good show (plug!)

Bad_Matt

QuoteNice looking site!  :)

;)

Super Dave

QuoteYou must be doing track days that have pretty full Advance groups.

Or I'm going faster...
Super Dave

wilsav

Just one to say thanks to Tomahawk Tires and Garth Dillon for giving away a set of tires at each of our track events for 2005. Major support. Thanks again! 8)