Started by morepower, December 30, 2004, 07:55:43 AM

morepower

For a first timer going to Daytona
Whats a good starting point for a gsxr 600 ? ;D
Arwood Racing
CCS
EX #82

TiffineyIngram

The track's layout has just been dramatically changed.  No one's been on it yet, so that's a very hard question to answer.

r6_philly

stock or minus one on the rear. I can't see the gearing changing too much, if anything, taller. With the new layout, you will now get on the East banking at least, a little faster. So don't want to run out before the start/finish. if it is true that its going to be a long sweeper that leads up to the east banking I can see going 2-3 teeth higher than stock. even a newb can go really fast on a long stragith right?  ;D

morepower

Hi Tiffiney,
Thanks for the reply.

I know the track layout has changed some and everybody will be trying new gearing to adjust to the new layout but
the ones thats been there before still has a ref point
from the old to start from, I just dont have a clue where
to start from
Arwood Racing
CCS
EX #82

morepower

Oh Ya ! We can go fast in a straight line  ;D
I'm just a newb to daytona not going fast.
I loved riding the AMA course at Fontana or
the big track at WS :o

Thanks for the help
Arwood Racing
CCS
EX #82

tshowrench

G 97

QuoteWith the new layout, you will now get on the East banking at least, a little faster. So don't want to run out before the start/finish. if it is true that its going to be a long sweeper that leads up to the east banking I can see going 2-3 teeth higher than stock. even a newb can go really fast on a long stragith right?  ;D

How so? How does going to the start finish line change with the new config.  If I am understanding the new track changes T-3/4 to start/finish will remain unchanged.  Even with the long sweeper still have to go through chicane, so this change will have little impact other than angle of approach

I also doubt that gearing will change with the new config.  Go as tall as what your motor will pull. Then go slightly higher.  ;D
G

MELK-MAN

as stated by some above, i think overall gearing will not change much even with the new layout but i have only been there 1 time. I ran +1 on the front+1 rear. of a borrowed kawi 636 as a novice at the ROC in 2003. 1st time there, did some 2:01s and was not on the rev limiter across start/finish. The master plan did not work however, i was not able to draft william Meyers who won. I would have been spot on i think with +1 front only. with only +1 and +2 at the rear i was on the revlimiter before i even got off the last banked turn.  Scott harwell ran +1 front on his Arclite gsxr600 that i was getting instruction from in the TeamHammer school.
That place is WILD..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Super Dave

QuoteI'm with Garth on this one...

How do you figure?

Your mid corner speed for the chicane will be the same last year as this new year as that's not changing.  Yeah, you would approach it faster last year, but the mid corner speed when you begin accelerating for the exit...well, that's the same...

'Splain yourself.
Super Dave

r6_philly

QuoteHow so? How does going to the start finish line change with the new config.  If I am understanding the new track changes T-3/4 to start/finish will remain unchanged.  Even with the long sweeper still have to go through chicane, so this change will have little impact other than angle of approach

I also doubt that gearing will change with the new config.  Go as tall as what your motor will pull. Then go slightly higher.  ;D

sorry, forgot about the chicane... and I have only been there oh say 4 times... :D

sorry... bad info I gave. so 1 down in the rear it is!

MELK-MAN

CRAP.. i was all confused too. I meant +1 in front.. NOT -1. Minus 1 front is what i usually run.
Sorry! I get to typing and Daytona is so unusual..
My gearing was a total of +4 (from stock) but +3 (+1 front) was what i should have stayed with as i did in practice. I edited my above post..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

BERZERKER

i'm headed to the track today using the "Green Pass" and I'll take a lookie at what the factory teams are running...
" ..roadracing motorcycles maked heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty..." P.E