Build your own speedo/tach...

Started by dwilson, December 20, 2004, 10:25:25 AM

dwilson

I like to build stuff, I was looking into making some gauges and found the LM2907 "Frequency to Voltage converter".  Pretty simple stuff, it takes a pulse signal from either switched current (like your coil input) or from a magnetic "hall effect" sensor (like on your speedo drive) and converts it into a variable voltage.  Pretty easy to make your own tach, shift light, speedo, etc...  I already got 6 to play with  ;)

Here's the manual...
http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM2907.pdf

cornercamping

How are you making it?  Putting it on bread board?  Also, you might want to make sure you isolate the front end from electrical noise.  Or, if your putting it on a PCB, choke out the ground plane.  Bikes seem to radiate quite a bit of noise.  One of th processor boards I was trying for the telemetry project we've been working on kept locking up due to EMI. You should throw this into our telemetry thread.  Maybe we can incorporate it into our current layout.  Wouldn't be a big deal.  Let me know if you need any help.  :)

dwilson

Right now I have it on a cheap RS PCB.  
I don't have the plans handy but it's got a 8 volt regulator, cap, resistor and zener diode filtering it.  

I have the "controller" built to read a hall effect sensor, I found the plans for a helicopter rotor tach  ;D  I still need to test it out on my SV and if it works I'm gonna drive a series of LED's off it @ 5mph increments.

Don't be suprised if I take you up on your offer for help  ;)

cornercamping

Sounds like that might do it for filtering.  If it won't, you'll know first time you start the bike.  If it starts acting funny, see if you can get your hands on an o-scope.  You'll see it if your picking up noise.  With my bike I could see the actual injection PPS AC waveform jump across the screen.  Anyway, let me know if you need anything.   :)

cornercamping

and you'll be hooked on this kind of stuff soon too.  ;D Pretty soon your bike will have electronics for everything  ;D

dwilson

I considered trying to use a BS2 BASIC stamp to make a custom fuel injection system for my SV650 but I've been busy with other things, like my Christmas tree stand  ;D

http://www.racemotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=ccs1;action=display;num=1103641529

cornercamping

I wish I had time to mess with custom one off stuff  :(   I always get stuck with work stuff.

dwilson

No job is worth not having free time... in my opinion.  You can't buy more time.  

cornercamping

Don, I got an email from Austria today about this thread  :D

H-man

Yo Don, the stuff on that link seems really complex.

I was hoping it'd be some really simple directions for building my own shift light.  Can you share with me the electronics for dummies version?

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

H-man

BTW Dan, if you do want/need assistance drilling bolts and nuts for your bike, give me a call or e-mail.  You can swing by and I'll lead you through the drilling.

Just bring a fistfull if 1/16th" drill bits.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

cornercamping

Thanks H.   I'm holding out on the drilling until I get all the aftermarket stuff put on the bike.  I can hep you build the shit light if you want it.   8)