News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Moto GP 2

Started by H-man, December 16, 2004, 10:02:45 AM

H-man

Okay.  I've been hearing a lot about this game being pretty kwool and possibly instructive.  I'm not a gamer (computer or the t.v. hook up type).  So here're my questions for you all.

1. Is this game really "all that"?
2. Is it available for the Nintendo Game Cube (my daughter has one of these)?
3. Which platform is better for this (or other possible) games?  PlayStation or XBox?

TIA
Ciao
  H-man
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

OmniGLH

XBOX.

XBOX.

XBOX.

Don't even mess around with it on PS2.  That's a kiddie game.  MotoGP2 on XBOX is made by a different company, and is a totally different game.

And yes - it's all it's cracked up to be.  It's going to take you quite a few hours to get the hang of it - but holy smokes is it rewarding once you figure it out.

I'm not a big gamer.  I pretty much only play sims - and only sims that are truly SIMS, and not arcade games.  It's good.

Short story:  DanO isn't a big gamer.  He came by my place last year, right after I bought MGP2 and XBOX.  He sat on the couch for a good 2-3 hours, just watching me play.  Somewhere around hour 2, he commented that it looked like the bike was running a little wide in one of the corners... and that in the real world, he would add a bit of rear spring.  I added some rear spring.  It corrected the problem.  :)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

r1owner

What about on the PC?  Is that one any good?

OmniGLH

QuoteWhat about on the PC?  Is that one any good?

The PS2 version (they are up to MotoGP 3 now) is made by Namco.  

The XBOX version is made by THQ.

The THQ one is the one you want.

EDIT:  it *looks* like THQ does make a version for the PC:  http://thq.com/game.asp?1049|49127  I haven't played it, so I don't know if it's any different from the XBOX version or not.  I don't see why it would be, so you're probably good to go.

Since I bought my XBOX, I never play games on the PC anymore.  It's the first console to actually hold my attention as long as it has.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

H-man

Excellent feedback!  Thanks for the response.

BTW, I've been stumped for months trying to figure out the "GLH" part in your tag.  What's it stand for?  Omni _______
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

racerhall

xbox all the way, ps2 is very unrealistc
a friend of mine plays it on a pc and says its good but xbox is a little better
so ya what Jim said
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

ecumike

Yea, I've got it on PC, it's awesome, and online playing is very cool.

larryg

QuoteExcellent feedback!  Thanks for the response.

BTW, I've been stumped for months trying to figure out the "GLH" part in your tag.  What's it stand for?  Omni _______

Goes Like Hell :D

Chef

Guess it's time for me to grow up!
I've been at it on ps2, but obviously havent done my homework...

Thank you guys for doing my homework for me!!!
xbx here I come...

AND yeah, Jim, 2/3 yrs later, WHAT IS THAT GLH???
great length honey???

gotta love harleys???

going long helps???     ;D

giving love hurts???

gotta love (h)Ike!!! ???  (silent 'h')

gettin a lil harry???

gay love hurts!!! thats it!!!...
no?...   hmm..

uh..

AH!
you live in...
Glendale Lonely Hieghts!!!
naah..

ahk, I gotta go...

Jimmy?

40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

Jeff

Great Lakes wH0re!  :o

(how dare they substitute sleeper for wh0re!)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

r1owner

Omni GLH.

It (GLH) was a model of car that Dodge made back in the day.  Turbocharged.

Didn't they put a Lotus head on there at one time where it made something like 227 HP?

OmniGLH

QuoteGuess it's time for me to grow up!
I've been at it on ps2, but obviously havent done my homework...

Thank you guys for doing my homework for me!!!
xbx here I come...

Oh yeah... get XBOX and XBOX Live... the ONLY way to fly (when you're not doin' it in real life...)

QuoteAND yeah, Jim, 2/3 yrs later, WHAT IS THAT GLH???
great length honey???

LOL... that's a good one!  Much better than the ACTUAL meaning, I must say!

Quotegotta love (h)Ike!!! ???  (silent 'h')

HA HA HA!!!!!

A few of the other people here got it right.  It's a version of the mid-80s Dodge Omni.  Back before I could afford the expensive toys, I had my Omnis (2 of them.)  Carrol Shelby put the 2.2L HO (non-turbo, carbureted, 110hp) in it in '84, drove it, and said, "Man that little thing really goes like hell!  What should we call it?"  And "GLH" was born.  In '85 they added the 2.2L turbo (146hp non-intercooled), and in '86 they had a special option package called GLHS (Goes Like Hell Somemore) with an intercooled 2.2L turbo, at 175hp.  Fun little cars.  My gold '85 was pretty well known for beating up on Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes back in the early and mid 90s around here.  Bigger turbo, intercooler, ported head, cam, lots of good stuff.  :)

Scott - the 16v twin-cam Lotus head wasn't available until 91 (?) with the Spirit R/T. A pretty rare car as they didn't make more than a few thousand of them (if even that many.)  That same head was available in '92-'93 in the Daytona R/T... which is even more rare than the Spirit R/T, as most of the Daytona R/Ts were V6s.  The 16v motors were rated at 224hp at the flywheel... though if I remember correctly, just by advancing the spark timing a few degrees, they were making close to that at the wheels.  Just hope you never break it - the lifter and rocker was a 1-piece assembly... at something like $150 EACH.  Don't EVER break a timing belt on one - you'll be sorry.

Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

OmniGLH

Quotexbox all the way, ps2 is very unrealistc
a friend of mine plays it on a pc and says its good but xbox is a little better
so ya what Jim said

We still need to play each other.  Did you ever get up on XBOX Live?
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

roadracer67

I have just recently aquired MotoGP2 and use it on a PC. I had a hard time finding a controller that worked good enough. Does anyone have a suggestion that might help???? I was used to using the keyboard while racing Superbike 2001 but on MotoGP2 it doesn't work very well at all.

And where are the online games located at????

Thanks for any help!

PJ721

COOL - that's good to hear....I bought the X-box for me -  ::) I mean my SON  ;D for christmas....and got the MotoGP 2 game to go with it...hooo-hooo come on Santa!
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

r1owner

I used to use a joystick for some motorcycle game I used before (WSB I think).  It worked pretty good until I was braking for a turn and the brake lever snapped off!

I couldn't afford to fix the bike, so I stopped racing!  ;D

OmniGLH

I've got a Gravis Eliminator gamepad for the PC and it works pretty well.  It has two analog joysticks (key - you need analog controls for steering, braking, and accelerating.)  

If you can make an XBOX controller work - it has enough analog buttons to allow you to control front and rear brakes separately.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

H-man

Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

ecumike

QuoteI have just recently aquired MotoGP2 and use it on a PC. I had a hard time finding a controller that worked good enough. Does anyone have a suggestion that might help???? I was used to using the keyboard while racing Superbike 2001 but on MotoGP2 it doesn't work very well at all.

And where are the online games located at????

Thanks for any help!
I've got the Logitech WingMan RumblePad --> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=24143   and I like it a lot.  You can use the slider on the top right for the gas/brake combo, works great.

Ohfugit

QuoteI've got the Logitech WingMan RumblePad --> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=24143   and I like it a lot.  You can use the slider on the top right for the gas/brake combo, works great.

I've got the wireless (PC) version of this..
How do you have yours setup??
Which buttons for which functions ?

Thanks a bunch
"D"

ecumike

I use the left joystick for left/right, and lean forward and sit-up/lean back.

The slider is the gas & front brake.

Lowe119

GLH - Girlie Love Handles  :D

EX#996

QuoteI used to use a joystick for some motorcycle game I used before (WSB I think).  It worked pretty good until I was braking for a turn and the brake lever snapped off!

I couldn't afford to fix the bike, so I stopped racing!  ;D

Now THAT was funny!

:D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

OmniGLH

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/sheldod2.htm

Alright!  8)

I can't believe Dempsey's site is still online!  That page has been there for AGES!

Here's a few of my gold one:

These were both taken at Waterford Hills, somewhere in Michigan.  That was my first-ever attempt at driving around a road course.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

H-man

Waterford Hills is in Clarkston, MI.  A northern Oakland Co. suburb of Detroit.

Boy I wish they had run off room there so bikes could use it.  I'm within an hour of that place.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

roadracer67

Hey thanks for the feedback. I picked a Logitech Dual Action similiar  to the one you had a link for. Now I just have to get used to using it........

J-Janisch

PS2 all the way man, personally like it a lot better then xbox but what ever....its all by preference, MOTO GP 4 comes out this spring 4 PS2 though......isn't xbox only on MOTO GP 2 lol haha.
-janisch-

daviid

QuotePS2 all the way man, personally like it a lot better then xbox but what ever....its all by preference, MOTO GP 4 comes out this spring 4 PS2 though......isn't xbox only on MOTO GP 2 lol haha.
-janisch-

thats because games made for xbox are quality unlike the ones made for PS2
David | 03 Suzuki SV650 | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484
RacerStuff.net / RTech Racing Fuels Fuels / Continental / Next Level Motorsports

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quotethats because games made for xbox are quality unlike the ones made for PS2

DOH!

The guys 1st post ever and he rips on Jesse Janish (who is probably one of the fastest racers on this board!). :o
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteDOH!

The guys 1st post ever and he rips on Jesse Janish (who is probably one of the fastest racers on this board!). :o
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You know I beat Jesse once.  Then in his second race.... :-[
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

speedster_1

QuoteI've got a Gravis Eliminator gamepad for the PC and it works pretty well.  It has two analog joysticks (key - you need analog controls for steering, braking, and accelerating.)  

If you can make an XBOX controller work - it has enough analog buttons to allow you to control front and rear brakes separately.

Thinking of buying an xbox & mgp....what do you mean if you can make an xbox controller work?

any suggestions....the stock controller vs other recommended controller?

thanks.

OmniGLH

QuoteThinking of buying an xbox & mgp....what do you mean if you can make an xbox controller work?

any suggestions....the stock controller vs other recommended controller?

thanks.

There are ways to make an XBOX controller work on the PC if you buy the PC version of MGP2.

The basic XBOX controller works just fine on the XBOX.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Sunny

Does XBOX have enough games?  I remembered that Playstation2 has way more games available 2 years ago.  I assume XBOX had catch up in that?  I am debating whether to buy a XBOX for some of their XBOX-only games...........

Sunny

Can someone recommend where to get a XBOX (best deal)?

H-man

QuoteCan someone recommend where to get a XBOX (best deal)?

eBay
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

roadracer67

I spent a little bit of time researching were to buy an XBox for X-Mas and found the ones on Ebay to be higher in price than just going to Circuit City or Best Buy. I have always been a little cautious about buying any used gaming devices....... Has any tried a XBox controller on a PC? Does it work?

H-man

eBay will have new, reconditioned and even system packages with winning bids that range all over the place.

As with all purchases, you need to do your homework, set a spending limit and sometimes you get lucky with the timing (note the supper deal on the second one below).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8157445674&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8157326222&rd=1

Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

speedster_1

I finally got a xbox & motogp2.  I bought the game used and don't have a manual...and this might not even be in the manual but...

How do you win all the race credits for each track? I only get 3 of the 6 for winning the race. I've gotten first in qualifying...and sometimes see 1 to 3 helmets (sometimes there white sometimes blue) popup in the corner and thought that would give the other 3 credits? nope.

Anybody know? I've seached the cheat sites...nada this.

251am

You have to do the Challenges to receive more credits. Some of 'em are tough and you can spend hours trying to complete just one!! Others, like racing McCoy one-on-one are a blast as they really have him slidin around.

speedster_1

I've done 95% of the challenages...I was wondering about other credits.  Someone just told me I need to go to the next difficulty level to get all of the 6 credits....

Trying out MGP2 on Live tonight...I'm a newb to xbox.

Anybody on here play mgp2 live?

Chuck

Why is this game so damn hard to find brand new?  Anyone know where I acan get a NEW one?

speedster_1

amazon maybe?  or I'm thinking of were I got faster...

I could only find a used copy locally.