News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

my website :D

Started by r6_philly, December 09, 2004, 10:22:55 AM

r6_philly

ok after 10 years of being in the web biz, I finally have a personal site :)

www.dafanz.com

hope you all like it :D

and anyone/company needs web work, design or application development, don't forget me ;) forte is db-driven dynamic sites.

Dawn

Very nice..

It loaded beautifully at work, it's going to be interesting to see how quickly it loads at home with dial-up.

Dawn   :)

r6_philly

about 15-20 seconds load time on 56k. But it only loads once, most image stays in place, so it isn't a horribly big deal. images size about 80 k total

Dawn

Because of all the repeaters I need to go through, I get 26.6 bps.  Then again, not everyone lives out in the middle of nowhere like we do.

Lowe119

The info doesn't show on my Mozilla Firefox. I must need a plugin or something

ecumike

Ohhh Dafan.... Code no workie on Netscape/mozilla  :D

r6_philly

I know, for the 5 percent people who doesn't use IE, I have not finished the morzilla version of the javascript... sorry  ;D

in a couple of days or I will be lazy and put it in a ilayer. if you don't have IE at all, bare with me lol I will get it going.

r6_philly

I am lazy and just made netscape normal scroll.

if you guys using any other version of browser see anything not right let me know. I haven't used DHTML on a cross platform site for a while. I usually stay away from the browser independent codes and just use tables, but this is supposed to a "cool" personal site lol

Mark Bernard

Loaded up nicely. Nice layout. Good job!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

ekraft84

QuoteI am lazy and just made netscape normal scroll.
stay away from the browser independent codes and just use tables, but this is supposed to a "cool" personal site lol

Yeah man, tableless design is where it's at.  Div tags!  :)

Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

WebCrush

Quoteok after 10 years of being in the web biz, I finally have a personal site :)

www.dafanz.com

'bout time ya slacker.

and 10 years?  c'mon, lets get real.  back in '94 the internet consisted of telnet and gopher.  i don't think true html pages (no, Mac Hypercard apps don't count) came around till 96ish. :D

r6_philly

Quote'bout time ya slacker.

and 10 years?  c'mon, lets get real.  back in '94 the internet consisted of telnet and gopher.  i don't think true html pages (no, Mac Hypercard apps don't count) came around till 96ish. :D

http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/book4/ch02.html

we started messing with the orignal mark up language and mosaic browser in 94 as a project :) it only say 7 years on my resume, but I have been messing with this stuff since it began. my first paid contract was in 97. how bout I say 10 years in the industry? or field? lol

EX#996

One minute 23 seconds to load at 24000 bps....

Lines are not optimum due to all the wet weather, even if they were I'd only get 26.6 bps.  Can't get DSL or cable and I won't pay for satilite so I just I'll just get a few more games of solitare in.

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

cornercamping

Dawn, what's your zip code?

r6_philly

QuoteOne minute 23 seconds to load at 24000 bps....

Lines are not optimum due to all the wet weather, even if they were I'd only get 26.6 bps.  Can't get DSL or cable and I won't pay for satilite so I just I'll just get a few more games of solitare in.

Dawn  

I remember those days!!! lol well it should have no problems after the initial load. If you don't set your browser to refresh on every visit you should never have to load those graphics again.

I was going to set the background to a different one each time someone come to the site, but that would kill your viewing :)

I wanted to make the the size a little smaller, but don't want to make the image quality suffer too much. Of course I could have cut myself out and save that in high quality and save the background fuzzy... I would have a couple years ago, but a lot of people have hi-speed connections now.

EX#996

Zip Code....  54950

7.2 cable miles from the CO

2.9 miles or so from the nearest OPM, but it does not have the switching capablilites for DSL, plus the telephone company would need to do construction (read laying and re-routing existing cable) to have my home be service there.

Cable, no such thing where I live.  The population density doesn't justify offering such a service.

Defan....

That shot of you on the track is just awesome.  I certainly hope you also have that framed somewhere.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

cornercamping

:o  This is the first time I have ever run into a zip code out of "cellular coverage."  :o   I"m not talking about looking on cell phone companies, I'm talking about looking in the cell tower database, which isn't publically available.   :o   Not a single wireless tower for that entire zip code according to the database.  :o

Hey Dawn, wanna make some money?  Alot of money.  Send me an email.

ducelectronics@mac.com

I"ll share some information with you that will make you smile from ear to ear.  You can get paid like no tomorrow.

cornercamping

Hell, I'lll just post it here.  It applies to anyone in remote areas.

If you own your land, meaning your not renting, you can allow cell companies to put up a cell tower on your property, and you'll make some serious cash.   To give you an idea, I know someone who did it, and ONE cell company pays their entire mortgage payment for it, and it's over $1500.00 a month.   That is one cell company that pays that, on a long term contractual basis.  ONE cellular tower can accomidate enough cell antennas from different carriers that would make you $8 to $10 K a month, and then ask for free cell service and such.

The catch:  You have to give them rights to access your property to build the tower, maintain, and such for the entire term, and you have to fall within their "wanted area" lists.  

Here's a link of a place to get started: www.americantower.com

You have to solicit them now aday's, but if your in the right area, you could make more money than you can think you could spend in a month.  Seriously.

Another avenue is to approach the cellular carriers direct and say "hi, we don't have coverage here, are you interested in putting an antenna on my property?"

A few things you will need to know upfront:

1: Lat/Long of the bounderies of you property.
2. What YOU want.  (ask for lifetime free cell service, they'll give it to you all day long>)
3. Have an attorney on standby to review the contract.
4. Be ready for a survey team to be sent out to you.

THERE IS NO CHARGE.  They will investigate free of charge. You have no costs to incurr other than a phone call.

If you LUCKY enough to be in a wanted area, you might just get a free house out of it. Literally.

The "lucky" people, would be people like Dawn that live in BFE, literally.

Email me if you have any questions.   FREE TIRES FOR LIFE, courtesy of the cell phone companies.

cornercamping

American Tower, is a leasing company.  What they do, is find people willing to allow them to put a tower on their property.  They'll pay you, and then they'll solicit the carreirs.  This way, you only deal with one company.  To give you an idea, the last time I saw a deal on paper, it was 6 figures up front, and like $3K a month to the property owner for 10 years.  Cell towers, the new one's atleast aren't very big. Some are smaller than a tree.  Not a bad deal if you think about it.  If you own a bunch of property, just have it stuck in the back corner.   ;)

How does American Tower make money?  They build the tower, pay you off, and lease it out to each carrier for something like $5K a month, but Cingular, Tmobile, ATT, and others are EACH paying $5K a month to American Tower, but they don't have to do anything but pay.  No maintance required.  American tower handles all that for them.  

I'd do it if they wanted to put a tower up.  ;D

cornercamping

QuoteThe population density doesn't justify offering such a service.

Cable no, wireless yes.  New technology is popping up. Things like WiMax where one single tower could cover 20 sq. miles of area and give you "broadband" internet.  That covers alot of people.  Then, the same tower could be used for cellular, trunking systems (i.e. police repeater), ect.

r6_philly

dan this reminds of that episode of simpsons where they put a tower in lisa's room  ;D

Dawn, I couldn't believe it myself. a friend I met online came to VIR and offered to be my photographer so I got him a media credential and he took some awesome shots. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that shot because the timing and the turn, and it just happened no one was in the shot but me (it was in practice I think).

I printed a copy and made it my wallpaper on the computer. Then I said, wouldn't it be cool to make a site out of this picture because it is just so cool. I played with the colors to make it more vibrant, and started making a site. I am quite happy with how it turned out if I must say.

Now next time anyone else wants to make a site, instead of coming up with a layout based on traditional layout options, why not take your favorite picture/photo and design around it? Take some technical programming to get it right but the results really cool.

cornercamping

Quotedan this reminds of that episode of simpsons where they put a tower in lisa's room  ;D

;D  If the money's right...

r6_philly

why don't you get VIR to host a tower right there at the track so I can get some reception while I am there?

cornercamping

That's on them.  I don't sell this stuff.  I'm just doing a brain dump and hopefully some of you guys in BFE can make some coin off of it.   If you live in the right place, and the pick your site, you could buy VIR  ;D

r6_philly

all I want is about 30 acres in upstate PA so I can build a dirttrack, a MX track and go hunting.

cornercamping

Quoteall I want is about 30 acres in upstate PA so I can build a dirttrack, a MX track and go hunting.

:-/  Buy lotto tickets  :P