News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Number One (1) Plate

Started by rotoboge, December 08, 2004, 05:42:16 AM

StumpysWife

And I agree with you Dave.  ;)

I would just hate for someone to look at the #1 on my husband's bike and wonder where the SV is that won it for him.  That's why I get a little defensive.   ;D

I've thought this over, too.  What if, on your license app, you selected five classes you would compete in throughout the year to count toward your overall points?  If you aren't interested in top ten plates or whatever, then don't worry about it.  But those who want to compete, declare your qualifying classes and go on with it. I'm not a fan of just one class being the premiere class as I think it would exclude a lot of riders.  But imagine if Ed Key could declare five classes?  I think we know who'd win!

Again Dave, I agree with you.  I just get slightly irritated with those people who haven't even tried it who declare it "purchased".   :P

Heather

Super Dave

Make it easy...

CCS is supposed to have put a computer in place last year that would have been able to do new things for them.

I know that a couple few years ago, the average number of classes that a rider entered was about 4.5.

I think that is down now.

The big question is:  if you might have an outside chance in a decent and exciting points chase, would you try and do it?

As it is now, the real run for the championship comes down to a few riders.  The rest don't bother, as the budget to do have the opportunity to do it is huge...enter a whole bunch of classes.

We've got a bell shaped curve right.

The largest amount of riders enter a little over three races each.  On either end, you've got one to two races per rider and the rider that enters lots of races.

So, if you can get the mass of riders to enter more races...hey, then CCS can have good dates that are paid for and have full weekend program rather than the goofy one day race events that starred last year at times.

Allow the rider to enter as many classes as they want...you want CCS to make money...but only allow five of their best finishes to count.  Me, yeah, my budget is tight, I'd be entering a minimal number of classes.  I'd try to make my point by finishing strong and up front.  As would many riders.

I think that kind of program would benefit CCS in entries, and benefit riders as more riders would have a decent shot at an opportunity for a number plate.

Would it make the plates more coveted?

Well, yeah.  

I was eleventh in the AMA National 750 Supersport Championship once.  I really worked hard for that.  I'm in a crash video that was sold nationally trying to compete in that class.  Needless to say, I didn't finish that race.  I raced at Sears Point with a basically broken transmission.  I raced at Charlotte Motorspeedway with a broken foot (not from racing).  Luck, determination, and hard work helped.  Could have done better...

But I wasn't going to get any extra points for spending more money than someone else in entry fees.
Super Dave

tzracer

QuoteAs it is now, the real run for the championship comes down to a few riders. ÊThe rest don't bother, as the budget to do have the opportunity to do it is huge...enter a whole bunch of classes.

We've got a bell shaped curve right.

The largest amount of riders enter a little over three races each. ÊOn either end, you've got one to two races per rider and the rider that enters lots of races.

[mathematician]
Actually it would probably be closer to a Poisson distribution rather than a Gaussian (bell shaped) distribution since your mean (3 classes) is probably within 3 standard deviations of the lower bound (zero classes). For a Gaussian distribution, your mean cannot be close to an upper or lower bound.
[/mathematician]

Anyways, I think a rider should pick the classes they are going to apply to the number one plate, not just the best of the weekend. All classes should be allowed.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

tshort

QuoteWhat if, on your license app, you selected five classes you would compete in throughout the year to count toward your overall points? [snip] But imagine if Ed Key could declare five classes?  I think we know who'd win!

Interesting discussion.  In fact, by default Ed (and the rest of us LW pikers) only have four classes that count toward the overall championship.  LWSS, LWSB, LWGP, and GTL.  If they counted points for all the races that SV's are competitive in - i.e.,  Thunderbikes, Supertwins, and LW40 - Ed could add another couple thousand points to his season, and he'd be right in there for the number 1 plate.

Guess the fundamental problem is that in WSB and MotoGP, there is only one premier class, and then a number of support classes.  So you end up with a WSB Champion and a MotoGP Champion, along with champions in 125cc, 250cc, etc.  And they race a lot fewer races than we do during a season (WSB: 22 races; MotoGP: 16 races; me, last year: 80+)

I don't  know how to translate that into CCS/club racing, since we have so many classes - but isn't that the beauty of this?  

He11, look at NASCAR and the way their system worked last year. The schedule included around 40 races.  Kenseth only won one of them all season, and finished out of the top ten in 12 races.  Yet he only had to finish his last race - didn't matter if he was dead last (which he was pretty close to, as it turned out), and he still won the whole thing.  

Having said all that, Team Stumpy rocks!  You guys run a solid program, and Greg turned in solid performances all season, in my opinion.  Congrats (again).
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

StumpysWife

Back to the five races thing...

Say you had five races that counted toward the overall score, whether it be your best finishes or races you declared at the beginning of the season.

Of those races you would earn the regular points scale 1st-65, 2nd-60, 3rd-56, 4th-53, 5th-50, etc.

PLUS a bonus was awarded depending on the number of people in the race.  Say there is 20 people in the race.  1st place would get 65 plus 20, 2nd place would get 60 plus 19, 3rd place would get 56 plus 18 and so on down.  If there's only 5 people in the race 1st place would only get an additional 5 points.  

Now this would create more work for CCS in the points tallying, but would be great for weighting races according to how many people you had to beat.  

What am I missing here?

I don't think CCS would lose money as I don't think people are going to sign up for more or less races because of this system.  Track championships could work this way, too.  

Or maybe it is time to cut the points scale in half, especially if there are double points races on more than one occasion.

Heather

PS - Tom, you are the best!  I hope you can make it to the banquet!!! We miss you!!!

Super Dave

Points...

How many races has anyone been in this year that actually had 50 entrants?

The FUSA points structure should be used.

Points pay to 15th, that's it.

So, if you go out and circulate in 20th, you get no points.

Ed...

Yeah, well, competitive you said, Tom.

Is a 600 competitive against a 1000?

Ed did 1:13.5's at the last Blackhawk.  That would probably be pretty competitive against a lot of riders in MW classes.

F40 just can't count as it's just built around a specific age.  Thunderbike, I think, should count.  

ST?  Don't know.  
Super Dave

Roger@ASMA

The computer used won't compute the points based on + riders finished ahead of.....I know......I asked because that's how we do our points here. Believe me it's a pain in the .........

Zac

Roger, do you want an excel sheet that will calculate points for you?

;D

-z.

Roger@ASMA

Actually, that's not the problem. The problem is adding them up manually and then the typo's that go with it  ???