Taking my scooter on vacation: How to ship it?

Started by dwilson, November 30, 2004, 12:09:37 PM

dwilson

I'm going to a scooter rally with some friends (flying Philly to Las Vegas) on 2-17 and I want to take my 74 Vespa.  I'm looking for some ideas "out-side the box"  :D

Forward air charges $350 each way, a little expensive...

Greyhound charges $72 each way but only allows 100lbs per box so I'd have to drop the engine and package it separately then re-install it in the parking lot.  This is not a problem but then I'd have to store the container while I'm on vacation and potentially deal with their crap if they saw me put it back in the boxes and try to ship it home.

I've heard that the air liners will carry extra luggage for a certain price, I don't know if they'll take something that heavy and again I've got the problem of storing the boxes...  

MZGirl

Fed Ex?  Maybe you can take the handlebars, front wheel, and taillight assy off and put the thing in a big plastic tote with foam inside.  Then just drill holes in the lip of the lid of the tote and zip-tie it shut with a bunch of ties.  I used this packaging system to ship my MZ engine across the country.  You'd have to find a tall enough tote, though.

Can't you leave the box in the hotel room or wherever you're staying?

GSXR RACER MIKE

Did you consider maybe renting a scooter when your there? It sure would be 1 heck of alot less hassle. :)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

diesel748

The airlines will be more expensive B/c you will pay for the Dim weight.a nfo charge etc. also the extra baggage has a weight limit  like 70 lbs your best bet is more than likely Fwrd Air
If you want to call the airlines they also have cargo holds and seperate freight areas at the airports on the planes.

call  Bell Air express they might be able to give you some other options.

Protein Filled

I have shipped vehicles before by calling the local trucking companies. Sometimes they will have a truck going that way with lots of open room and they will ship it for cheap. Call around and see what they say.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

dwilson

QuoteI have shipped vehicles before by calling the local trucking companies. Sometimes they will have a truck going that way with lots of open room and they will ship it for cheap. Call around and see what they say.

Great idea, thanks.

GSXR RACER MIKE, no challenge... too easy!