Amatuer vs. Expert

Started by rotoboge, November 19, 2004, 04:59:03 AM

H0RT0NF4i

QuoteMy sponsors don't advertise my wins/champs but would rather see me on the podium as a Am and winning Championships than a 10th or back as a new expert.  Ohwell....I look forward to running with the whities next season but it will take some time to get back on top of the poduim as an Ex.

yeah donald you're right.  it's gonna take US some time to get back up on the podium!!!  i guess i'll be sporting me a set of those dreaded white plates also!!

TiffineyIngram

Here we go again...

Alright, I thought we did the right thing this year when we changed the points bump to 750 from 500.  I didn't hear anybody saying, "cool, they listened to what we asked for".  I'm kind of surprised by that.  First off, the whole bumping and petitions thing sits firmly in my lap.  For anyone to say I slack off is completely out of touch.  Ask Eric, he thinks I'm way strict, and I'm married to the guy.  The philosophy is simple: the longer you stay amateur the longer you're going to think you need to.  There will always be new faster guys.  When you go expert, you learn from people far more than you would as an amateur.  Think about it: in the amateur class you'll be following other amateurs.  Personally, I would much rather be behind a pack of experts than in front of amateurs that way I could watch someone else's techniques.  Just my opinion, though.

Bumping up in the middle of the year is not fair to new riders.  I can't help if a guy starts riding in January and gets enough track time to learn lines and can beat everyone else.  He worked hard, he earned it.  It isn't fair for me to say "Oh, you're too fast for everyone else, bu bye."  That isn't right.  You have to understand that people do this for fun, it doesn't have to be a military action.  Give a guy the season he deserves, don't take it away because you don't want the competition.

I've never seen this person post before, but today I have seen two, and between the corner worker thread and this one, I would say those comments are very self-serving and not intended for the "good of the sport".  It's the holidays, guys, let's think of others.

hi-side_racing

QuoteAlright, I thought we did the right thing this year when we changed the points bump to 750 from 500.  I didn't hear anybody saying, "cool, they listened to what we asked for".  

For anyone to say I slack off is completely out of touch.  

"cool, they listened to what we asked for"...  ;D now you heard it.

Now quit slacking off...

smoke

QuoteSounds like you are the only one crying...

Yeha thats it , I'm the one who started this gay ass thread too  ;)

smoke

TIFF

I'm so glad that you are back!  I can't wait so see the baby.

speedster_1

What do we do about the slow experts?   ;D  Bump them back to AM?   ;D ;D

Clay

Hehe...there are some that definitely need it!  LOL

I think the 750 bump is fine.  Anyone who doesn't want to go expert after that can be judged on a personal basis to decide if they need to be bumped or not.  It's simply way too much work to judge each person as to whether they should be bumped or not.

As for me, I'm REALLY looking forward to being bumped up to expert.  I know I can run top 10 now, but I look forward to learning how to run top 5.  I know that'll never happen as an amateur!  ;D

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteWhat do we do about the slow experts?   ;D  Bump them back to AM?   ;D ;D

Being that I chose to be a 'slow Expert' for the last couple seasons, I think I am justified in responding to this. What seems to be missed by so many people, especially Amateurs, is that being Expert isn't exclusively about how fast you are. Being Expert is more about knowledge and doing it right. I started racing in '96, I crashed twice as an Amateur, once in '96, once in '97 - both times taken out by another racer (consistent top 5 finishes). As an Expert I crashed once (in my 1st year) back in '98 while passing for 3rd in an Unlimited Superbike race during a combined NASB/CCS event. Since then I never crashed again (6years) until this season when I was forced off the track by another racer. I realize that 'That's Racing' applies to my crashing experiences, but it's obvious that experience has definately played a key role in my lack of crashing.

Since I have played both roles on the track (fast guy and slow guy by choice) I understand its different requirements. I actually believe that it's more dangerous to be the slow Expert in the ever so common combined races with the Amateurs. The lead Amateurs are usually a little smoother and know how to pass ok for the most part, but some of the racers behind them seem to not have a clue. I have had more idiotic moves done by those racers than any other as they would pass me. Knowing how to handle those situations and not panic is part of being Expert. Those lead Amateurs that passed by me seamlessly 'get it', they are obviously ready for the bump to Expert next season. For them to stay back another season would be obvious sandbagging. For a number of the racers behind them, they obviously need more experience, which is what Amateur status is for.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

rotoboge

QuoteAs for me, I'm REALLY looking forward to being bumped up to expert.

I agree with you wholeheartedly! I started mid-season as an amatuer and learned a ton as the season progressed. I welcome the challenge of the expert class and what they can continue to teach me.

There are some others I know that will do anythng to stay back another year, only to pretend they are ROSSI or something of the sort. They never really "get it"...

Roger@ASMA

Great thread. Seeing all the opinions is great at a time when I'm working on who I'll be bumping to expert for next year. We bump the top 3 overall amateur points earners plus the top 3 of each amateur class at the end of each year. Also, we look at individual riders who are obviously at the expert level, we bumped one amateur at the end of last year who only raced half a year because he was one of the top 5 fastest racers in the club after only 4 events. Bumping someone midseason is wrong, everyone deserves a chance at their amateur championships.

It should be the responsibility of the local region to determine if a racer is not ready to bump up, as only the local representitives have watched the riders all year. One of the only problems with the current system is that a rider can ride a few events for a few years as an amateur, dominate them and come back the next year as an amateur again the next year, and again the next year to go after the amateur stuff at Daytona...it's happened.

H0RT0NF4i

QuoteWhat do we do about the slow experts?   ;D  Bump them back to AM?   ;D ;D

hahahaha yeah donald i might consider letting you go back to AM.....just let me know buddyhahaha ;D