Wife advice needed from racers

Started by cardzilla, November 18, 2004, 05:01:26 AM

gma

Race.

Women are like busses ... there will be another one along soon ..

Dawn

QuoteRace.

Women are like busses ... there will be another one along soon ..

::)

... and here I thought you were such a nice boy.

cardzilla

Well, just an update.  It does appear that I've worn her down and racing is a go.  Of course, this could be the same situation as when you ask "Honey, are you mad?" and you get the "No, of course not" while she stares out the window, but we'll see.  I am going to race either way.  Thanks to everyone for the great advice, it certainly helped.  To Dawn and the rest of the gals I have one more question.  I still haven't come clean about the race I did in '04, what would be a good way to do that?  I was thinking over a nice dinner at her favorite restaurant...
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Protein Filled

QuoteI still haven't come clean about the race I did in '04, what would be a good way to do that?  I was thinking over a nice dinner at her favorite restaurant...

Women should be on a "need to know" basis... ;D

Actually my wife told me that it was either her or racing! God I am going to miss her!!!

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Mark Bernard

QuoteActually my wife told me that it was either her or racing! God I am going to miss her!!!

I miss my ex-wife too. But my aim is getting better!  :-X ;)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

KBOlsen

QuoteWell, just an update.  It does appear that I've worn her down and racing is a go.  Of course, this could be the same situation as when you ask "Honey, are you mad?" and you get the "No, of course not" while she stares out the window, but we'll see.  I am going to race either way.  Thanks to everyone for the great advice, it certainly helped.  To Dawn and the rest of the gals I have one more question.  I still haven't come clean about the race I did in '04, what would be a good way to do that?  I was thinking over a nice dinner at her favorite restaurant...

Jewelry is always good...
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Dawn

Cardzilla:

What you should do to break the news to your wife about your little 'escapade' at the track last year is a difficult one to tackle.  Especially since I don't know either you or your wife.

I am glad to hear that you have worked it out that she will support your racing endeavor.  Hopefully that includes her coming with you to the track.  One side of me is tempted to recommend that you keep your little secret until she is fully settled with the idea of you racing.  Hopefully she will fall in love with the atmosphere and the people at the track, making your escapade in 2004 perhaps a bit more "understandable."

The other side of me thinks that you should just tell her right away.  It's not good to have secrets when you're involved in a marriage.  Marriage is about trust, fidelity, and honesty.  Although, there are going to be a few bumps in the road and this is one of them.

Well...  here goes.

Take her out to dinner – better yet, cook for her (or bring food home if you can't cook), a few candles, wine, flowers...  Have the plaque with you.  Start off by telling her how appreciative you are that you were able to work out some sort of an arrangement regarding racing, and express how much it means to you to have her support (and hopefully) and her involvement in your racing habit.  Then tell her you have a confession to make....  Bring out the plaque and hand it to her.  Explain that the last thing that you wanted to do was to betray her trust or cause her undue worry (that you were racing rather than just at a track day).  Tell her all about the race and how it felt to race and win (my husband says that when he's racing it's the only time he feels truly alive).  What ever you do, don't justify the lying, just admit that you did it, say sorry, and be done with it.

I wish you the best of luck.

Dawn  

chris_chops

Just start crying and tell her you are sensitive. ;D

gma

All I ask is this ...

Once you get this thing figured out, just email me to let me know what 'the story' is so I don't louse up your life by saying the wrong thing at the wrong time on the PA.

Gotchyo back, bruthu

EX#996

QuoteAll I ask is this ...

Once you get this thing figured out, just email me to let me know what 'the story' is so I don't louse up your life by saying the wrong thing at the wrong time on the PA.

Gotchyo back, bruthu

LOL!!!!

Too funny!

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

jaxgatorgal

Well, hello race people. I am Larry's unsupportive wife. Actually, I have been compared to a bus among other things, so I was so thrilled to hear all of the wonderful advice that you all had to give.
One thing my dear husband failed to leave out was the fact that he told me that he would not and could not race if I didn't support him.
Also, the fact that this bike thing has come about in the last year is another tidbit of info he failed to mention. Before racing it was golf, football, sports cards, the list goes on. He told me that he would not ignore me for those things anymore, now he just spends every dollar on those bikes. Haven't seen one piece of jewelry, dinner, nothing. Got push back when I suggested a cruise, that we couldn't afford it!
We also have no children, something that he knew was important to me before we got married. He owns his own business that if he gets injured we could lose our house. I also have no idea the amount of money he has actuallly spent on this because he doesn't tell me. I do know that when I wanted to spend 500 on season football tickets, than I was read the riot act.
So, to all of you who think I am this awful person that he should just walk away from, there is my side of the story.

Speedballer347

I read the intitial post, then skimmed though the replies and no one has responded to what blew me away....

QuoteI used to race in 93 and 94.
I wanted to return to racing and do the 05 season.  To prepare I did rider school at Roebling went straight back to expert and entered some races.  
Finished 1st,3rd,3rd, and 5th

Raced in 93 and 94....retired. Came back as expert almost a decade later and got 1st-5ths in 600cc expert your first weekend back?!
HOLY CHIT!

You are DA MAN!
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing