I'm thinking of...group buy

Started by DanO966, November 15, 2004, 10:25:26 PM

DanO966

Hey I'm thinking of doing a group buy on
scotts steering dampers and galfer brake lines.

give me some feedback.
anyone have any interest?

lmk
dano
chicago cycles
773-338-7320
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

K3 Chris Onwiler

It would be easier for me to reply if I actually had a bike right now.... :'(
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

speedster_1

I need a new damper but I aint buying a scotts....If I can get an Ohlins I'm in.

WebCrush

QuoteI need a new damper but I aint buying a scotts....If I can get an Ohlins I'm in.

i guess you don't realize that Scotts dampers are made by Ohlins

speedster_1

Yeah I knew that.  Give me some credit.  I just don't like the rotorary type dampers....those are for mx'ers....IMO.

Jeff

QuoteI just don't like the rotorary type dampers....those are for mx'ers....IMO.

And people who enjoy dampers that last forever and survive crashes...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

speedster_1

I don't care for the slight play the rotorary type/ scotts have.  Minimal play but might be just enough to start the slapper.  Could be mental but how many Scotts do you see on AMA bikes?  ???

I can get a discount (10-15 maybe 20%) on Ohlins if we get 10 or more buyers.  Probably get that on the scotts also but will have to check.  If enough are interested, post up!  I get a thread going.  I'm sticking with the standard Ohlins.  8)

OmniGLH

QuoteCould be mental but how many Scotts do you see on AMA bikes?  ???

I'm pretty sure the factory Yamaha team runs Scotts dampers.

I also don't have any "play" in my Scotts.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Jeff

Never had any play in my scotts either.  

There are a lot of things I see on AMA bikes that I don't on club bikes.  Much of it is related to budget.

Rod dampers tend to blow seals and fail far sooner than rotary dampers do, and again, they are not as crash resilient.  

AMA teams can afford to replace items that the normal club level guy can't.  

AMA guys can also trade lifespan/resiliency for a weight savings of a few ounces (rotary dampers are a touch heavier), but I simply cannot justify it.

YMMV
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

speedster_1

I don't crash and have an unlimited buget!  ::)  ;D

I think what I was reading about the 'slight' play was due to the air bubble in the scotts...gotta start book marking those articals!

What ever works for you, run with it!  I was happy with my hyperpro.  Held up fine through more get offs than I thought it would...til the last one!

I'm assuming I can get the group buy discount on both....will confirm if I see enough peps interested.

tzracer

I have never had a linear damper fail. The one on TZ is 10 years old and has never needed any maintenance.

Linear dampers are more likely to be damaged in a crash, but they are also a better set up. The rotary damper have a far smaller lever arm and less travel (of the damper, not the steering) than does the linear type.

It is also far easier to mount a linear damper when you have a custom set of triple clamps.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Ryan125

scotts are more for street. and no, the yahame team uses ohlins. ohlins makes the best damper! and the scotts do break!!! the arm breaks, fairly easy. there was a review of dampers in one of the motorcycle mags a few months ago. hell the graves fairing bracket even come with the mount for the ohlins damper built in.