Newbie Question: which class?

Started by tshort, October 28, 2002, 08:25:57 AM

tshort

???

This is a *really* basic newbie question regarding which class(es) I might be able to race my bike in.  I have a Ducati 748S (four valve/head, v-twin, liquid cooled), in pretty much street stock trim, and I'm trying to figure out which classes I can race it in next year.

I'm a CCS amateur, and the bike is pretty much set up to pass CCS tech (still need to put the oil breather/overflow bottle on, but that's it).  

After reading the manual and regs, I still can't quite figure out which classes that bike would be eligible to race in.  Everything I've read, tho, indicates it's not very many, which, apart from how dadgummed expensive the bike is to run, makes it not a very good race bike choice.

All recommendations aside, does anyone know which classes a Duc 748 is eligible to race in for CCS?  

Thanks.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Eric Kelcher

Middle GP
Middle Supersport
Middle Superbike
Hvy SS
Hvy SB
Unltd GP
Unltd SS
Super Twins
Formula 40 (depending on your age)
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

KBOlsen

CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Eric Kelcher

oops our right I forgot the GT races
Eric Kelcher

tshort

Wow - that's a lot more than I thought. :o

I was thinking the 748s were virtually homeless, in terms of which classes they were allowed to race in.  I guess the real issue is, then, which ones they are *competitive* in - not very many right?

Is the SV650 any better on this front?  I know it will likely be a *lot* less expensive to race.  (And I've posted a note looking for people who are selling their's if it's set up for racing).

Thanks for the info on this.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Eric Kelcher

The middleweight classes are going to be the "most competitive" as they are most level field for them BUT some tracks have fewer people in the HVY/ULTD classes so  you can do better.
The SV has a better chance (in Light weight classes than 748 in medium) as they are the top of the field in the light classes (right now) as the other bikes are either less hp or older bikes.
Eric Kelcher