News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I was thinking about a little dirt

Started by dylanfan53, October 28, 2004, 08:00:38 PM

dylanfan53

riding this winter (Mind out of the gutter, Edgar  :) ) so I don't get too out of shape.  We don't have much ice around here but there is dirt  ;D

So, I came across a Honda XR650L Enduro for sale.  I know nothing about dirt bikes anymore.  I was wondering if it would be too heavy.  What say the experts?  If not this one, what is a decent bike for hacking around on? Thanks.
Don Cook
CCS #53

cb186

if your looking to fly throught the deserts, it's a great bike, other than that, i wouldn't recommend it.
 depending on how much you wanna spend will determine the bike you get. i have a 450, but alot of guys dont want the eccessive power. a 250f from Yamaha or Honda from the last couple of years is ideal. a 125 or 250 will be a bit cheaper.
2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184
www.314racing.com, Hot Kitty's Pu$$ycat Lounge and Photo

dylanfan53

Thanks, a 650 sounded like a bit much but I dunno about how 4 strokes have changed the options out there.  Your comment confirms what my nephew is saying too.

I'll keep looking.  I think I prefer a 4 stroke since I already inhaled my share of two smoke in my misspent snowmobilng days.
Don Cook
CCS #53

Protein Filled

I see the reputation precedes me...   ;D

Listen to Chad. A XR650 is not a real dirt bike to begin with. I wouldn't say it's the overall power, but the combination of power and weight. A couple of weeks ago I went dirt bike riding with a good friend of mine who owns a YZ250F and for a while we swapped bikes (I own a CRF450) and I will tell you that riding the 250 was a whole lot of fun. A lot less concentration was needed and I went just as fast on the 250 as on the 450, I am not fast at all on the dirt, but it just seemed easier to ride. The 15-20  pounds of weight combined with the powerband really made it more fun to ride.

BTW, me and Tommy are going to Hallet for the annual enduro/trail race next weekend!!! That should be a blast! Anyone that can make it, come on out. We'll have plenty of beer
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

dylanfan53

;D dunno why I thought of you... something about dollar stores that was mentioned a while ago...

Thanks for the info.
Don Cook
CCS #53

tshort

Hey Don-dirty biker, eh?  I've been thinking about getting back into it myself.

It depends on what you had in mind - some guys want to ride their bike to the dirt, and then have at it.  Other guys trailer their bike, and then go play.  The 650 would be good for the former, but you'd give up the lightweight, and heavy/rough dirt riding ability that lighter bikes offer.  But those don't do long road riding as well...so that's the first choice.

After that, it's power/money.  I rode some pretty steep, long mountain trails on a Yam DRZ400 and it was a blast.  Then hopped on a KTM 400 and found it to be a bit too twitchy compared to the DRZ.  But then again, I'm a bit of a newb, and  a more experienced rider would have maybe liked the KTM better because of that.  The guy riding it (20yearold) made it do everything really well.

If you want to do more jumps/whoopdedoos type of riding (pseudo motocrossing), then you might consider something lighter, like a 175 or 200 four-stroker.  This type riding will kick your butt in a hurry.

These days, disc brakes and water cooling are the norm on dirt bikes.  And four stroke, too.

I was thinking about getting into some enduro/scrambles riding up here, which is some friendly offroad competition. A 400 would seem to be a good choice for that.  Haven't dug into much yet, tho.

Also, if you get the right bike, you can fit it out with iceracing studded tires, and do that with it, too.  I'm told the 400-600 CRF-type bikes are best for that, as the 200-250s are underpowered.  But I wouldn't know for sure.

Sounds like fun.  
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

cb186

QuoteHey Don-dirty biker, eh?  I've been thinking about getting back into it myself.

It depends on what you had in mind - some guys want to ride their bike to the dirt, and then have at it.  Other guys trailer their bike, and then go play.  The 650 would be good for the former, but you'd give up the lightweight, and heavy/rough dirt riding ability that lighter bikes offer.  But those don't do long road riding as well...so that's the first choice.

After that, it's power/money.  I rode some pretty steep, long mountain trails on a Yam DRZ400 and it was a blast.  Then hopped on a KTM 400 and found it to be a bit too twitchy compared to the DRZ.  But then again, I'm a bit of a newb, and  a more experienced rider would have maybe liked the KTM better because of that.  The guy riding it (20yearold) made it do everything really well.

If you want to do more jumps/whoopdedoos type of riding (pseudo motocrossing), then you might consider something lighter, like a 175 or 200 four-stroker.  This type riding will kick your butt in a hurry.

These days, disc brakes and water cooling are the norm on dirt bikes.  And four stroke, too.

I was thinking about getting into some enduro/scrambles riding up here, which is some friendly offroad competition. A 400 would seem to be a good choice for that.  Haven't dug into much yet, tho.

Also, if you get the right bike, you can fit it out with iceracing studded tires, and do that with it, too.  I'm told the 400-600 CRF-type bikes are best for that, as the 200-250s are underpowered.  But I wouldn't know for sure.

Sounds like fun.  

a Yamaha DRZ400? you mean a Suzuki?

and from what i've heard, the new 250f's from Honda and Yamaha are great.
2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184
www.314racing.com, Hot Kitty's Pu$$ycat Lounge and Photo

Scotty Ryan

I had spent seven years racing amatuer motocross before I got my AMA pro card to race supercross and outdoor motocross. When I started racing it was on two strokes, but the last few years I raced I was on a Yamaha 250f four-stroke. It took a while to get used to, but in the end it was alot easier to ride then the two stroke. I would suggest a 250 four stroke, suzuki, kawasaki, honda and yamaha all make a 250 four stroke. In the last year or two suzuki and kawasaki kind of merged their off road efforts together, so the suzuki and kawasaki are exactley the same other then the color of the plastic. For the rider that wants a bike that can perform as well as a motocross bike but is never going to even see a triple jump each company makes an off road version of their motocross four strokes, with head lights brake lights,electrict start,kick stands,bigger fuel tanks,and softer suspension.The next engine size up is the 450 four stroke,little bit more money,little bit larger rear tire,little bit more weight and lots more power. Now for me at my level of motocross experience the 450 can be over-powering and get out of control pretty easiley, to the novice or new motocross/dirtbike rider the 250f will seem very powerful. It may only have 30 to 50 hp but it's only 200 lbs. You could go with a two stroke but then you need to mix the gas.
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

r6_philly

I bought a YZ400F with intent to go motard. But that didn't work out this season, so I decide to ride it in the dirt too. It turns out I would have been much better off with a 250 or even 150 in the dirt, the 400 is just too big, I cant find a place to ride it easily, and I have been having more fun/faster on my lil 110 lately. (I don't ride on any sort of tracks, just woods, trails, small dirt track).

I think I am going to get a smaller bike to ride in the dirt and continue to convert the 400 to motard, it is just too big for me...

Jeff

Funny I should see this topic.  I took vacation today to catch up on stuff around home.  I looked at Bam-Bam sitting there all quiet in the garage and figured she needed a thorough flogging.  3 kicks and she was thumping away.  

I only had time for a quick 20 min ride, but I gotta tell you, it was theraputic...  There's just something about mashing one's self into the gas tank and twisting the throttle just to have it stand up while spitting out mud from the rear end...  
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

EX#996

Another thing you have to consider is your size.  Don's a big guy so if you get a smaller bike, you will need to do some suspension work.  

The CRF150F that Renee and I share has a limit of 225 lbs, but I can tell you that for me, it would be better if the suspension was a bit stiffer (I am NOT  close to 225 lbs).   Renee being a bit over a 100 lbs is about right on that bike.

Paul's CRF450R will give you plenty of OMG moments, but that's not entirely bad either (he always comes back with a goofy smile on his face).  He's going to change the gearing to make riding on our property a little bit easier.

I guess Don, you'll have to find the bike thats good for you.  If you have plenty of room to run, you won't regret a bigger bike.

My $.02

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

dylanfan53

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  It was the education I was hoping to get. (Sometimes I can only respond to the posts after work since I have to set a good example for the kiddies).

I won't be able to keep up with my extremely fast, wheelie and jumping maniacal young nephew on his KTM 500+ something but that's okay.  I just didn't want to make a mistake and end up with something unsuitable.  If I pursue it, I'll go back to the dealer and check out some 250s and possibly 400s.

Actually, this all started with a combination of end of the year boredom and a quick ride in the dirt at my sister's house.  Prior to that I was thinking "pit bike".  Afterwards I figured if I'm going to spend the money maybe I should just look for a real one to play on.  My wife thinks I'm nuts (still).   ;D  ;D

Don Cook
CCS #53

am_#65_john_deere

don,

i have an rm250,

yes it is a 2 smoke,

but, it may be for sale so i can make room in the container for furniture and stuff like that.

a certain JEF4Y will tell you that it is a suicide machine, but thats because he can't ride it.

game on jeff.

dylanfan53

Thanks Anthony, I'll keep that one in mind.  I'd rather buy from a straightup guy like you, but I expect I'll be looking for a 4 stroke since I think it would be more familiar to me.
Hope you move is going smoothly.  You must be getting close. :)
Don Cook
CCS #53

tshort

Quotea Yamaha DRZ400? you mean a Suzuki?

er...um, yeah ::)  

Who makes that dang SV I ride??  Geez. :-/
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Jeff

Quotea certain JEF4Y will tell you that it is a suicide machine, but thats because he can't ride it.

game on jeff.

Can't ride it?  no, more of a "won't ride it" and/or an "it won't let me ride it".

Never before has a bike looked at me and said "if you touch me, I will kill you".  Unfortunately I didn't heed its warning...  BIG mistake...

2 stroke 250's have their purpose.  I'm not really sure what it is, but they do have a purpose...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Protein Filled

Hey Jeff, you think that is bad? I once rode a CR500... Now that bike REALLY wants to kill you! It's no wonder they are no longer in production.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Jeff

Yep, no thanks...

Dave Gygax has a KX-500 which he ice races.  I won't ride it either...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest