Honda Civic alternator help...

Started by Mark Bernard, September 30, 2004, 06:32:28 PM

Mark Bernard

Ok all you master mechanics out there. I have a 87 Civic that the alternator took a dump in. I have it un bolted and disconnected. The problem is that I cant get the little prick out. Has anyone changed out one? How did you manage to get it out? I am at a loss for the moment. Any and all help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance. Mark
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Woofentino Pugrossi

YOu might have to rotate the motor a little like you have to do on some Generic Motors FWD cars to get to the spark plugs. Is there a brace from the motor to the firewall or radiator support?
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Mark Bernard

Yea... but there is no room for it to come out from the top. The only thing I can think of Rob is to remove the strut and try and lower the k frame a couple of inches. I might call the local Honda dealership and talk to there service people. There has to be a simple way to extract this alternator.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteYea... but there is no room for it to come out from the top. The only thing I can think of Rob is to remove the strut and try and lower the k frame a couple of inches. I might call the local Honda dealership and talk to there service people. There has to be a simple way to extract this alternator.

C4 will work. ;D ;D

Really makes you wonder why they put common replacement parts in inaccessable areas. Kinda like the starter on my 92 4X4 Sonoma and the heater core in my dakota.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Mark Bernard

The reason manufactures do that, is to make it impossible for the common idiot to replace it. The manufacturers want you to take the car back to the dealership for even the simplest of repairs. An alternator change should talke less than an hour to do. But now days, thats a whole different animal. Its gonna be a long day today....  :(  :-/
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

Woofentino Pugrossi

Need some help? Not that far away from ya.

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Mark Bernard

Thanks any way but I got it. Its amazing how easy it comes out when you remove the drive axle...  ??? I had it back together and road tested by noon. But hey.. now I am an expert alternater changer on a 87 Civic. Thanks again Rob.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

Burt Munro

Heard a rumor that Daimler Chrysler was close to making a decision on adopting the Honda philosophy of assembly procedures.....  first step required all Daimler Chrysler factory workers to spend the next 2 years learning to speak and read Japanese ;D
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Woofentino Pugrossi

Hell I was gonna replace my heater core today. Dont feel to great today and its a bit chilly to be climbing around the truck. Want to get it done by sat.

Also I thinks my battery is dying. It sat for 3 days and wouldnt start.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Mark Bernard

QuoteHeard a rumor that Daimler Chrysler was close to making a decision on adopting the Honda philosophy of assembly procedures.....  first step required all Daimler Chrysler factory workers to spend the next 2 years learning to speak and read Japanese ;D

Damn! And I just got through learning German! I need a less frustrating job!  ;)  ;D
Mark (Bernie) Bernard

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteI need a less frustrating job!  ;)  ;D

Wendy's is hiring. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

Super Dave

Mark, I had an 88 Accord.  I got it cheap from a place that bought it for a hundred bucks...cause it needed an alternator.

Same gig.  

To remove it, yeah, pull off the wheel, drop the strut, etc.  That was the way to do it.

And some people complain about Harleys?  This is one of these things where I enjoy Honda cars for driving and how they last, but once things start getting a little worn...give it up and move on.  Someone will buy it for good money 'cause it's a Honda. ;D
Super Dave