News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Vir racers read this!

Started by Cornerman, September 28, 2004, 03:57:39 PM

Cornerman

:o  Boy was I ever amazed at the great turnout at Vir this past weekend. My wife and I made the drive from Gastonia, NC on friday evening and we were happy to see so many racers and hear of so many entries not to mention Gravesracing and all the money and all the blue....... :-X
 Anyway I would like to say thanks to all of those that raced and those who had unfurtunate happenings at turn 5 and 6 (we were at turn 5 awesome view!) or anywhere else I hope you are all well now or will be soon. That spot of the esses of 6 (off track riders right) slopes down and it sure sucked a few of you into the armco :'(.
 And many congrats to all that finished in the top their classes.  Rider 861 thanks to you and your buddies for the beer and hot dogs. We always feel so welcome at the races both at VIR and Roebling and as always it is a pleasure being there for all of you.
 If any of you compete at the AMA @ Vir good luck and we will be pulling for you!
   CCS RULES!
p.s. Thanks to A & J for those nice new safety crew shirts! 8)

Alex and Crystal Delph
CCS Corner Workers

PJ721

just wanted to give a big thanks to all the corner workers and safety crew at VIR - you kept us going smooth after each Red Flag...and for once it wasnt me dumping my bike and causing it! No Comments EH427...I know you're out there!  ::)
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

Gixxerblade

Yeah I had a great time!!! That was my first race weekend and even though I didn't do so well as far as placing I had a blast and improved my times at least 10 seconds during the course of the weekend. Good job to the corner workers and EMS personnel for making it such a fun weekend. Could anyone believe the weather out there? It was just amazing. Destruction happening just a few hundred miles away and we have probably the most beautiful weekend of the year. I am looking forward to next year, and hope to see all of you as well.

WebCrush

Can I make the simple suggestion that Experts not race or practice with Amatuers?  Not a knock on anyone, there are a bunch of really fast AMs at VIR but GTO was truly nuts.

Having the fastest of the fast (not to mention 3 factory Yamaha's) with guys who just got their license the day before just scares me.  We were lapping guys in no time at all.  Maybe at smaller tracks it can work but the closing speeds at VIR are pretty fast.  

Hell, we almost had a 5 bike pile-up on the WARMUP Lap coming onto the back straight!!

Friday practice wasn't much better in that regard.

Gixxerblade

QuoteCan I make the simple suggestion that Experts not race or practice with Amatuers?  Not a knock on anyone, there are a bunch of really fast AMs at VIR but GTO was truly nuts.

Having the fastest of the fast (not to mention 3 factory Yamaha's) with guys who just got their license the day before just scares me.  We were lapping guys in no time at all.  Maybe at smaller tracks it can work but the closing speeds at VIR are pretty fast.  

Hell, we almost had a 5 bike pile-up on the WARMUP Lap coming onto the back straight!!

Friday practice wasn't much better in that regard.

Why do you got to ruin such a good thread about positive stuff? Hey we all got to start somewhere.

Clay

Don't see it happening Web.  That would add more needed time to an already crowded schedule.  I say go with the flow.  It's all part of racing at our ranks.  I went over and talked to DiSalvo for a while and he didn't mind the amateurs at all.  :)

WebCrush

QuoteWhy do you got to ruin such a good thread about positive stuff? Hey we all got to start somewhere.

Thicken your skin, this isn't about you or amatuers.

Its about safety and frankly, its completely unsafe to have a track full of bikes out there that have over 20-30mph of difference in speeds.

There's a reason that many of the other classes have seperate amatuer and expert races.  GTO should definitely be one of them.

SVbadguy

I'll add that in my experience this past weekend, CCS did an outstanding job at everything.  I can't remember results being posted as fast as they were.  The results are already on the website too.  :)
My pre-entry was on-hand and announcements were not a problem.  Good job Mr. Staples.

I had some of the most fun of all year.  I had a great battle going with Danny Riter and Neil Franks in LWSS and again with Danny in Supertwins.  He beat me in LWSS but I managed to be ahead of him at the checkered in Supertwins.  A gearing change and some of his own advice helped. That and I believe I was able to put Gary on the Duc between us on the last lap going into T1. Let me know if you read this. Also, was I any faster in T7? I was trying.
 Great, clean riding guys.  Thanks.

Travis

r6_philly

every one of us were very surprised that the GTO weren't split into Am and Ex races. But I was told that there wasn't enough time to split it into 2 half-hour races. The factory guys did a great job. Face it, when they come past me and most of the Experts, it was kind of like passing amateurs too :D But there really wasn't any issues with that, they pick a spot and they were by. There was no time for anyone to react to them.

I did get run into once this weekend, but it was by another expert who had put me in the wall previously  :o >:(

Baltobuell

If you want different pace, the 125's are different. I only got to ride friday because I'm an idiot and screwed myself in the dog leg and fell in the grass so saturday my shifter shaft broke 1st lap of practice. But practicing with that many 125s is wierd.
 With my respect for 125 riders often I wouldn't pass on the straight figuring I might learn something in the next corner. All experts mind you. Some of those guys FLY, and the next parks... even worse than me! There is no telling who you're coming up on, or who's going to blow by while you're sizeing them up. It's like gently walking through a bunch of bees. Ya know, trying to stay out of their way, but still get through. Still, I had a great time and I guess I felt safe because of the weight difference. I think they would just bounce off.
 And Yeah, those Yamaha guys were impressive.
 And an extra thanks to the flagmen for finding my glasses ;D

brian213

I heard great things about the races out there, well, at least the USGPRU races...man, I can only imagine 50 on the grid...and all 125s.  :)  Must have been sweet.

Balto, the weekend before, I was the only 125 (1 of 4 total two-strokes) out there and EX 125s were practicing with all of the F-USA Buells...When I was behind them and catching them, passing them it was fine...but one session I went out first...soon I was completely surrounded by them.  AHHHHHHHH!  That's gotta be the scariest thing in the world.  The guys are big, the bikes are bigger and they are so loud...almost like a big earthquake...T3 or T4 is a kinda tight one and I was mid corner with them everywhere around me...  :)

So, there's another side of the coin.  :)  It was fun though.  Surely an experience.

-Brian

Baltobuell

LMAO. Never thought of that and I don't think I'd want to try it. You're a brave soul.