News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Crash at Turn 2 at Blackhawk Monday?

Started by SliderPhoto, September 22, 2004, 07:20:55 AM

SliderPhoto

I heard someone crashed bad in T2 Monday. Who was it and how are they doing?

Jeff

It was Scott McCullough(sp?)

Apparently he was out on a borrowed bike and left the kickstand down.  He made it through T1, but it hit in T2 and tossed him into the guard rail.

I don't know the extent of the injuries, but heard they were pretty bad...

Prayers out to him...  :-/
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Out for four minutes, punctured lung, arm, etc.  That was all I know.  Had a MotoVid camera on at the time.

Corner worker in one was trying to get his attention as the kick stand was on and down on the out lap...didn't make it through two...
Super Dave

motomadness

Nate R

What do you guys think about kickstands being allowed at track days like this?

That's a horrible sounding crash.  :(
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Jeff

Wow!  I thought it was a rule to remove them or safety wire them up, but I guess not...

h. Stands: If your center stand or side stand is the first solid piece of the machine to touch down when you lean over, we  recommend that you remove it. While Coaches are required to leave a side stand on their machines, participants have the option of removing all of them.

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

danch

We finished the day with side stands zip-tied up. Most track day orgs allow side stands in all but the most advanced group, assuming that participants will be riding street bikes with a functioning cut-out switch.

MW Am #720

Chuck

Steve Richardson was Airlifted out of T2 on Friday.  He is doing well and was released on Sunday.  

SliderPhoto

QuoteSteve Richardson was Airlifted out of T2 on Friday.  He is doing well and was released on Sunday.  

I'm glad to hear he is doing OK.

motomadness

Super Dave

QuoteWe finished the day with side stands zip-tied up. Most track day orgs allow side stands in all but the most advanced group, assuming that participants will be riding street bikes with a functioning cut-out switch.

It occured in the advanced group...the one for racers, etc.
Super Dave

danch

So why didn't they have different rules for stands in advanced? Or better yet, why not a nice simple blanket rule: if you've got a stand, you must demonstrate a functioning cut-out switch at tech.
MW Am #720

Super Dave

As far as I remember, the advanced groups are required to have race prepped bikes...catch pan lowers, safety wire, etc.  I was rather unhappy that it happened in the advanced group, and in any group, for that matter.  I was working with students in street and sport myself.
Super Dave

SliderPhoto

HOLD THE PHONE!!!  :-[

I just got word from Paul. If you've taken a look at the Polar Optics sheilds then you know Paul and Shawn. Shawn was the one in the accident, and he is anything but fine and released.  From Paul...

QuoteBroken scapula, broken rotator, broken ribs, punctured lung, concussion, ruptured spleen.
Surgery tonight to fix the rotator, hopefully tomorrow the chest tube comes out and Friday out of ICU.
Hes' in Rockford Memorial, Rm 309D.

This sucks. I've ridden with Paul and Shawn a couple years now and they're both great guys. Shawn lives close by and has been over the house a couple times. He's racing now too. I'd appreciate it if you could say a prayer.

Chuck

Absolutly!  Get well soon!  Your in our Prayers Shawn.

KBOlsen

Holy shit.  #%)(()*#$%#$(%*($@#$@!#(!!!!!

Prayers all 'round.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Dawn

amydiaz

Get well soon.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Amy

Mark Bernard

Wow.. Hoping you have a speedy recovery. Your in our prayers! Mark and the Kegel team.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region