15 Year Olds on 600s

Started by J-Janisch, October 21, 2002, 03:35:18 PM

J-Janisch

If a rider is qualified and under the referee's descresion, should he/she be aloud to ride a 600 before they're 16?  If one was limited to a Lightweight bike until there 16, how can they accumulate enough points to have a good grid spot at Daytona?  And if one is not aloud to ride a 600, should they be forced to become an expert?  ???

I understand that one has to be 16 to go to Daytona, but what I'm saying is, what if your turning 16 during the year and want to start in the front of the grid at Daytona on a 600 but you don't have enough points to be there (in front).

slclark65

No one under the age of 16 is allowed to race at Daytona.  That is a track rule.  I hope that answer your question.  But Kevin Elliott would be the one to talk to about that.  

Dawn

QuoteIf a rider is qualified and under the referee's descresion, should he/she be aloud to ride a 600 before they're 16?  If one was limited to a Lightweight bike until there 16, how can they accumulate enough points to have a good grid spot at Daytona?  And if one is not aloud to ride a 600, should they be forced to become an expert?  ???

I understand that one has to be 16 to go to Daytona, but what I'm saying is, what if your turning 16 during the year and want to start in the front of the grid at Daytona on a 600 but you don't have enough points to be there (in front).

Jessie (I am assuming this  :-/):

You are mopping up in the Lightweight classes on your SV.  Why do you want to move to the 600 class?

Dawn   :)

P.S.  If you do move to the other class, that would mean that Paul would finish a place higher each race.   ;)

J-Janisch

Dawn- The reason I want to ride in the 600 class is because I want to some day ride in the Pros.

Dawn

QuoteDawn- The reason I want to ride in the 600 class is because I want to some day ride in the Pros.

That's what I figured, but is one more year going to make a difference? or is there a specific time line you are working towards?

Just one note on becoming and expert.  In my own opinion, I think that you should.  I have seen you beat Ed Key and you consistantly finish in the top 5.  You have the talent.  What advantage would it be to remain an amature?

Dawn   :)

the_weggie_man

How do you get  a good grid at Daytona 600 races?  Ride your young butt off on a hot SV in the 600 classes until you can legally ride the middleweights.  Unless CCS decides they should have riders classified by their ability and not just age.  Other clubs do it.

sdiver68

Matt Wait was gridded dead last @ Daytona and still finished 7th.  Trust me, a 16 yo newly legal 600CC rider gridded dead last and finishing top 10 will get ya noticed as much as winning from the front row.

And Weggie Man is right, the way the point structure is and with most racers not making every weekend, race up and accumulate points, if the rules will allow you to race up.
MCRA Race School Instructor

mj

I'm sure that the 16 year age limit has nothing  to do with the riders skill and ability to compete but originates from the from the perceptions of our society today. Although 15 year olds could drive a car or shoot a gun we do not allow them to get a drivers license or to join the military. Sometimes it just sucks to be too young or too old.
Run expert lightweight and win every race.

the_weggie_man

Read today's post on Roadracing World "Little Nicky".  WERA and MRA let 14 year old racers run middleweights.   It's called demonstrated ability.  :o

roadracer797

Ok for my two cents, if a 15 yr old can show in practice that he can handle the bike I say let him race it. Hell I know some 14 yr olds that can ride liter bikes better then some older guys So let them race if they can prove it to CCS.
MJ
Yea it is the pits getting old and slow, but hey at least we can still have fun right.
Craig

TZDeSioux

Jesse has more than demonstrated that he has the skill and the maturity to win races. I say let him ride a 600. As far as turning expert.. you should most definately turn expert but that's for my own selfish reasons :)

jim_p

Jesse, The first thing I would do if I was your age and had the talent you have is get to WERA. I race CCS because I'm 33 and live closer to ccs tracks.This is not to sit and bash CCS ,but I have been around this sport off and on since 1985 at different levels and you need to get the attention of a guy named John Ulrich (team Hammer) he is the guy that started alot of pro's careers.I like racing in CCS,but if you are looking to get ahead-Race WERA.How many guys(I know there are some) do you see climbing from Blackhawk to pros?? Daytona wins mean very little(other than personal) win a Suzuki cup race and see what happens.. Ask Ed Key about this ( I know you know him) and see what he says...Don't waste you talent around here-I think you can also race a larger bike at a younger age ...Good luck