NUMBER SIZE AND PLATE QUESTION

Started by firerider, September 16, 2004, 04:38:01 AM

firerider

Will be doing the first race next weekend at VIR and I am in the middle of painting number plates on the bike and have read the rule book and still have a couple of questions. First it states numbers only on one side on the front, is that right? If so I assume at VIR the scoring will be on the right side? Also this bike has extremly small frontal area, will they allow me to run 6" numbers up front? I have a 3 digit number and with 8" it will not fit at all, it barely makes it with 6" numbers. Any help would be great!

davegsxrold929r

it goes in the center on the front., and has to be 8" numbers ., they do allow 6" numbers on the rear both sides..  

i have not seen a bike yet that will not fit a 3 digit number on the front with 8" numbers...

Jeff

Do what you can to get the biggest numbers possible on the bike.  Move them up onto the windscreen a bit if you need to.  

The biggest gripe of Tech is the placement of #'s.  Right now I use 6" numbers up front and haven't been dinged for them, but last year when I was using 8" numbers, tech complained that they couldn't see them because they were too low...

BTW, what kinda bike do you have?
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

firerider

This is a ZX-10R, their is nowhere but the sides of the front to put numbers, and with the air intake right in the middle you can not put anything there.

Lowe119

For the bikes with middle air intakes, you need to put your numbers on the side that the scorers are on. Never been to VIR, so I don't know what side that is.

I can't fit 8" numbers on my R6 and still have the required 1" gaps. So I use 7" and have NEVER heard anything about it. I see people using numbers that are way out of spec at BFR and nothing is said.

davegsxrold929r

QuoteThis is a ZX-10R, their is nowhere but the sides of the front to put numbers, and with the air intake right in the middle you can not put anything there.

yeah those are tough,. even getting 3 -6" on the side of the ram air is tough ., and the scoring in on the right side as you sit on the bike at VIR as you come down the front straight...

Lowe119

Just fiberglass over the ram air intake  ;D You'll still have enough power   :)

eh427

This will be your first race and you are starting out on a ZX10? Good luck and be very carefull! :o
Eric Helmbach
CCS #427
ASRA Team Challenge Overall #1
Chester Auto Repair Racing
Grease Monkey Racing

firerider

First race, but been on the track for a long time ;)

gma

At VIR, and unless they've changed anything; scoring takes place on the front straight - a flat, never-ending right-hand sweeper with your knee almost to the ground. The right side would be the place for numbers at VIR.

1fastmofo

QuoteAt VIR, and unless they've changed anything; scoring takes place on the front straight - a flat, never-ending right-hand sweeper with your knee almost to the ground. The right side would be the place for numbers at VIR.

???What? A straight, never-ending right hand sweeper? I rode at VIR flat out down that straight and never came close to dragging a knee. It's a straight with a small kink.  :P