2005 R6

Started by motomadness, September 14, 2004, 07:44:43 AM

Sunny

QuoteI think lightweight racing has a place, but lightweight street riding is a tough sell, especially when most of the riding is probably on a boring, straight highway.

Agree, especially when the selling price of a 400 to a 600 is only about $1000 USD.  

Too bad for us racers that Aprilia is no longer planning on making that sweet LW machine called RSV450 we all wanted.

OmniGLH

QuoteHow about 600's are too fast for most riders?  Even thoughs with "skills"...

LOL - seeing as neither Dan nor myself can make it more than a few weekends without winding up on our heads, I think I'll agree with that statement.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm more suited for bicycle riding...  ;)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

OmniGLH

QuotePurk's bike is a 2001, I believe.  Not that it's different from the '99.  And not that lap times have been pushed down that much anyway.

'99 R6, '01 R6.... to-MAY-to, to-MAH-to...

QuoteJim, you mentioned Purk's bike.  He's is definitely fast, but what's in that motor?  I'm not saying he is cheating or anything even remotely like that, but that aint no stock engine pushing him around.  For us lesser being, we might get a chance to race with him on this bike.

True, his bike isn't stock... but neither is mine.  Or DanO's.  Or Rosno's.  Or most anybody else running at the front of the pack.  His SS motor isn't any more or less strong than those of us on newer R6s with SS motors.

And besides, even if his motor was box-stock - I bet his results wouldn't change at all.   Heck, weren't experts running 14s at BHF 10 years ago on F2s?  And a NON-legal F2 probably can't break 100hp - that's down ~15 from your average modern-day SS motor.  Horsepower isn't what separates Jeff from the rest of us.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Super Dave

My F2 made 93.5HP in 1993 in Supersport trim and came across the scales at 410 or so at Brainerd that year.  I think my best time at Blackhawk in 1993 was a really low 16...maybe a 15.  Todd Harrington did some high 14's on his http://4and6.com F2 in similar trim that year.  The track was pretty much unchanged through 2002.  In July of 2001, I did a high 13 and Dave Ebben set the 600 lap record at like a 1:13.4 or .6.

My GSXR made 104HP and was like 380.

Fastest this year was a 1:11.473 on my R6 with 110HP?, but I haven't had it on a similar dyno, and it's like 378 or so.  And the 600 lap record is like a 1:10.5?  The track IS faster by an easy two seconds all day long.

My R6 is set up better and is much friendlier to ride.  If my GSXR were like my R6, it would have went faster.

But from the F2, Honda has made the F3, the F4, the F4i, and the RR.  If High 14's are the benchmark for 1993 and the bike has had a change in the basic platform at least three times...with all the marketing hype, you'd think that you'd get something more than a half second a lap for each one...

Don't forget about tires.  They are certainly better than the ones we were on eleven years ago, let alone five years ago.
Super Dave