Started by motomadness, September 14, 2004, 07:44:43 AM

motomadness

3hp
inverted forks
radial brakes and master cylinder
etc.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2004/Sep/040914y.htm

TZDeSioux

Oh that's very nice. Sean.. when are you picking yours up?

OmniGLH

Nice, but I'll stick with my '03.  If Purk can still give the leaders a run for their money on a '99... then I see no reason to upgrade yet.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Sunny

No undertail exhaust like those on CBR600RR and 6R?   ???  Must say I am disappointed.........   :-/

motomadness

I would like to get one tomorrow, but that won't happen.  Definitely trick.

Jim, you mentioned Purk's bike.  He's is definitely fast, but what's in that motor?  I'm not saying he is cheating or anything even remotely like that, but that aint no stock engine pushing him around.  For us lesser being, we might get a chance to race with him on this bike.

davegsxrold929r

i too was hoping for the R1 undertail exhaust., but oh well ., still some nice changes.... ;D

Super Dave

This isn't a complete redesign.  

Most of the upgrades are what I thought...forks, brakes, but I thought maybe there would be a possible complete redesign.  This looks like a bolt on change.  Easy.  Looks like it shouldn't need new bodywork from the 03/04.

The 04 has some changes ECM compared to the 03, I know.  I'm sure it improves it, but not substantially.  

Purk's bike is a 2001, I believe.  Not that it's different from the '99.  And not that lap times have been pushed down that much anyway.
Super Dave

Shady

I dont see the new improvements keeping pace with the new 2005 ZX-6R and ZX-6RR.  I love my R6, but I might be leaning green next year.

Sunny

In my opinions, Yamaha failed themselves in making and getting the best out of their 2005 R6.  It's almost plain stupid with the money they are paying Rossi and the success they are having right now to turn up a new R6 like this!  They should give the new R6 an undertail exhaust to stay on the fashion trend, and give the bike a MotoGP look which will make it a stand-out winner on street (squids is the majority portion of the bike buyers)!

ZX-6R and the CBR600RR will rule the street I believe as they are the only two 600's with undertail exhaust system for 2005. Although ZX-6R still looks somewhat ugly (the fairing/style design doesn't flow very well from the front to the rear if you know what I mean), I think it may have a better motor (no replacement for displacement), definitely more low-mid end torque for sure. The gixxer 600 looks handsome, but a little out-dated with the conventional exhaust on the right. The R6 to me, still looks ugly and no way close to how good the R1 looks. The CBR600 looks somewhat plain, but it's a Honda and it's got reliability.

Super Dave

Folks, the 600 class is about marketing.

There is very little one-up-manship that happens anymore.  Each manufacturer make small steps in things to make "new" 600's different from previous models....trying to keep you buying the "latest and greatest".

Kaw had a slipper clutch and upside down forks and radial brakes.  Didn't see everyone getting them and I don't see anyone cleaning house with them either.  Suzuki's new 600 has upsidedown forks for this year with a radial brake master cylinder...Again, similar performance.  Might be a minor improvement...

So, the questions have to be this....

Are you fast enough now that you need a current model motorcycle for contingency?

If the guys that actually win the contingency only go fractionally faster on motorcycles that have a performance advantage in respect to HP, weight, and OEM suspension components (std forks vs USD forks)...do you think that you could exploit it for any more?

Do you have to have the newest bike for some kind of marketing plan?

If I do the Daytona 200 in March...looks like I'll do it on my '03 R6.  I don't see a whole lot of advantage in the new bike for lap times.  Yeah, the Yamaha team will have them, but see question three.  Jensen and Denning will have them.  See the first question.  
Super Dave

Shady

While it's true that the 03-04 R6 is far from out-dated for all but the best riders, the fact that Kawasaki has come out with a Supersport-legal bike that incorporates almost all of the advantages of all of the other brands and has decided to port and polish the heads of their 05 ZX-6RR will have the other brands' riders starting off at a considerable disadvantage to those that have the Kawis.  I've heard that the RR will be putting down somewhere around 115-118 at the rear without a pipe stock!  :o  I'm suprised that Yamaha hasn't stepped up after a mediocre AMA Supersport year and made something that would elevate them back to the status of the 03 R6 amongst the other brands.

Super Dave

QuoteIn my opinions, Yamaha failed themselves in making and getting the best out of their 2005 R6.  It's almost plain stupid with the money they are paying Rossi and the success they are having ....

Well, the development of the MotoGP bike takes up R&D.  And Rossi's salary.  So, if you don't need to redevelop, why?  I think Yamaha still sells every R6 they make, and that's got to be the goal of every manufacturer.

The cost of changes needs to be amoritized over the life of the bike.  Why break something that's pretty darn good.  Yamaha really has done a very fine job of continually refining an existing format rather than trying to  redevelop constantly.  

Ducati has used that method with some great success.  Good example...916, 996, 998.  The 999 is a departure.  Previously, 851, 888.  Three foundations with refinements.

Suzuki GSXR600's.  Hard to keep track...Lots of platforms.  Often complete departures from one to the other.  Meanwhile, the calipers, and brake pads, on the current R6 have been used on all R6's, the R1's previous to '04, I believe, and might even be the same ones used on the YZF's...

Doesn't really matter anyway.  It's done.  

As for undertail exhausts, Suzuki completely re did the GSXR1000 for 2005 after redoing it for 2003...and gave it a side mount exhaust again.  
Super Dave