News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Poll Question

Started by Super Dave, September 10, 2004, 07:44:22 AM

Mark Bernard

I voted no Dave. I am on the edge of 44. If I were 18 again, hell yes I would. But racing is nothing but a very expensive hobby that I truly love.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

r6_philly

I voted no. Racing doesn't seem like an attractive occupation to me. I do treat racing as a branch of my business. But making a living? There are infinite better careers out there (based on the current state of racing)

Making money elsewhere and have funding to race is definitely better than racing to fund your life.

Super Dave

Good and wise comments.

Keep 'em comin' and tell friends...

Mark, does Dean Hageman have an e-mail address or a phone number that I can possibly get from you...Don't know if you have it, but I though I'd ask...
Super Dave

Steviebee

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ..    of course  yes...

but im a realist ...  

Isnt this like asking if you want to win the lottery ??

My bike got twisted !!     that what reallly sucks about crashing !!

K3 Chris Onwiler

Steve has a really good point.  It is a lot like winning the lottery.  (But of course, it doesn't take skill or talent to belly up to a counter and buy a ticket,)  If there are thousands of racers in the country, only a hundred or so will really throw their whole life into trying to actually make a living at racing, and only maybe five or six will truly reach the point where they are making a substantial amount of money in racing.
The other thing is place in life.  Even if a guy had talent falling out his ears, he couldn't just chuck it all and try to be a professional racer once he's married, mortgaged, and providing for a couple of rugrats.  Reality dictates that a guy in that position has to pay some bills if he doesn't want his family living in a cardboard box.
  I believe that the only way an adult could attempt to pursue racing as a career would be if they were single, had no responsibilities at all, and were willing to live with no posessions besides a rusty van and some spare underwear.  Most guys aren't in a position to take that big a risk, and even among those who could, how many would?
I love that crazy kid Jesse Janich.  What a talented rider, and a great guy to boot.  He may be the next big thing in motorcycle roadracing.  But let's face it.  His parents have spent his entire life bringing him along through this sport.  Jesse has only needed to learn his craft, while his parents have done all the worrying about him having a place to live and bikes to ride.  It's the same story with the Bostroms, the Haydens, Zemke, and even Rossi.
These days, the top pro racers are not self-made.  They are grown from seed.  
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

Don't analyze...

Question:  Would you like to make a living at racing?

Just like this one...

Would you like a Pepsi?

Yes,(But given that it's in an glass bottle.  I don't like aluminum cans.  But who owns Pepsico?  Heard that they have something in it that is funding terrorists, so I don't want to drink it then.  However, if the health ramifications of long term exposure to caffeine and carbonic acid are actually harmful, maybe I shouldn't.  Still, Red Bull has caffeine, but I like the sugar free stuff better.  They say that you can put Coke in your toilet, and it'll clean the rust stains off your bowl.  Ever use it on battery terminals?)I'll have a Sprite...

I get up too early...  ;D
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteDon't analyze...

Question:  Would you like to make a living at racing?

Just like this one...

Would you like a Pepsi?

OK, then based on that question, I would have to say that YES, racing motorcycles would be more fun than digging ditches!
Why?  Is Mr. Wizzard going to donk me on the head with his magic wand and make me a pro?

I can see it now.  Last lap of the Daytona 200, and I blow a tire while leading.  At 200 MPH, 15 feet in the air, I'm screaming, "HELP ME, MR. WIZZARD!  I DON'T WANT TO BE A MOTORCYCLE RACER ANY MORE!!!"

(Disclaimer for you young pups.  You'd have to remember the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon show to know what the hell I was just talking about!)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

Baltobuell

Absolutly! If I could see any way possible. I'm getting too old, but if I could see a way to put together a team and somehow make a profit, I'd be doing it.
 I do know a team owner and he laughs when I ask about his finance side. He says his bookkeeper and accountant keep asking him why he's doing it.

andy342

Yes, but as a mechanic or data technician.

That being said, does anybody need someone at the ROC?   The guy I normally crew for is not going.

Super Dave

Really, Andy...

I've been meaning to reply, but I'm a dummy sometimes...

School is coming up this next weekend, job interview on Tuesday, car repair on Wed, three football practices during a week, two games on Sunday...I need a race.

I'm trying to find money to go to Miami...need a donor really, but I want to go...

But the http://www.teamhansenhonda.com people want me to come to Barber the same weekend to race the CR750 again...hopefully the same chassis that I rode at Daytona in Spring, but I guess it now has a six speed trans in it.  Might be cool.  Mr Barber loves vintage bikes, so he really goes all out for the AHRMA people.
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteYes, but as a mechanic or data technician.

That being said, does anybody need someone at the ROC?   The guy I normally crew for is not going.
YES!  E me.  racerk3@aol.com

A friend is going, asked me to help, and I can't get off.

HandleThis66

yes yes yes yes yes.  does quitting mah job 2 spend every waking moment riding/racing/spectating any motorcycle event, driving any length and happily writing cheques for obscene amounts of money for a few moments on or at a race track, and relinquishing any and all chances of finding 'mr.right' in my quest for total happiness on a motorcycle count as a yes? :P if so, than yes i would like to make a living racing  ;)
rhiannon :-*