News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

alpinestar suit size help??? I'm 6ft 145lbs

Started by zeroice, September 02, 2004, 03:17:51 PM

zeroice

Hey guys, I'm getting a new suit! I am really fixed on getting an off the rack Alpinestar suit.

I'm 6 feet and about 140-145 lbs

I tried on a size 48 alpinestar TZ-1 and it was way to short. It was short at the ankle, wrist, and crotch. It was also kind of tight, but the tightness was right. I figured it would losen up just right.  But really, it is just too short , can't even stand up right. So I returned the suit.

I guess I will get a size or two larger (50 or 52), but not sure. Does anyone have an opinion (you guys that wear alpinestar suits, help me)? would a 52 stretch out too much? will a 50 be too short?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

Super Dave

Well, you're tall and thin.

Chest sizes for Euro suits are usually ten less than the "stated" size...they think their big chested I guess...

So, that might help.  What's your chest size?  As the chest size increases, so will the length and girth of everything.

You're paying a good deal for a suit that has a liner that is probably made in Italy with an exterior that is made in Pakistan or India with the Aplinestar.  

I'll leave it that the Vanson Suits offer outstanding protection at a similar cost...and you can have it done to your measurements...if it's wrong, they will make it right...and you'd probably derail a train if one tried to hit you while wearing a Vanson suit.
Super Dave

motomadness

I'm all for custom fitted suits.  For my size, I should probably be 6ft tall or larger, at least in OTR race suits.  My lower body doesn't match most racers bodies, then their the arm length.  Let's just say there must be some magic relationship between arm length, leg length and leg size.  For us odd ball shaped people custom is the only comfortable way to go.  Hopefully next year, I will be wearing a new suit, and you can bet that it will probably be a custom suit.  My current options are Vanson and Syed (whom at one time, worked at Vanson, so the constructions are similar).

Clay

I'm with Dave.  For your height not exactly matching your weight, you're gonna need to go custom.  I'm 6'1" 195 and a 46 (euro 56) fits me almost like a glove.  (A 44 fits me like a very tight glove.)

spyderchick

Being that you're a lanky kind of guy, you are going to have trouble finding a suit off the rack, no matter what brand. I would go custom in any case, because alterations could get pricey. If you insist on off the rack, you might want to try Dianese suits, They tend to run tight, so a bigger size will accomodate your height, and perhaps they won't be too baggy for you.

You must accomodate your height first. All of the armor should be in the appointed places, (shoulders, knees, elbows). If you are having problems getting everything to fit properly, you will need to have the suit altered. That could run as much as $250-275. If you buy a suit that doesn't fit for say $750, and then have it altered, you're in the ball park of customs anyhow.

Good luck with the great leather hunt. Feel free to email me with any questions if you think you've found something that might work.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

diesel748

just hit the buffet you'll fit into something better after eating and laying on the couch.

;D

zeroice

Ok, I agree with you guys, I made a mistake: I was plain old impatient. Custom suit is the way to go. I don't mind spending the few extra bucks on a custom.
But that would be too easy for me:(
I am faced with a dillema... My fellow team-mate (wears alpinestars) convinced me to get an alpinestar suit.
Thus I have unfortunately unwittingly commited to a sale for an undersized alpinestar suit via parts unlimited, unless of course I pay the 25% restocking penalty. I can still exchange the suit for a different size of equal or more value... Suit already cost me $520, thats dealer cost. If I return it, I will get penalized $125 + S&H. I don't feel like losing that much money...
I guess I don't know what to do now. Would love to get a custom suit though... any suggestions on how to play it?
Not to mention I also need a new arai helmet... funds are running low. I guess I'm not trying to spend more than $1000-1100 all together including helmet....

Would appreciate any opinions!

thanks

PS, I will be at Nelson Ledges tomorrow for Fastraxx 3hr, and Sep 11 for WERA 6hr...
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

smoke

Were are the same size. I have alpinestare smx-1 size 56 . fit perfect

zeroice

Ok, got the suit exchanged (no return fee charged) for a size 52 and it fit very well. when standing up, feels like it almost is tight on the crotch, but not really. It is very comfortable on the bike.

Also got a KBC racer-1 helmet, that was really a nice helmet. I was convinced to get this helmet when I saw Mat Mladin wear it!
Krishna A. Pribadi
CCS #707

Super Dave

Mladin wears it because KBC pays him about $120,000.

So, your made their investment work.
Super Dave

Nate R

I didn't realize Mladin's head was that expensive  :o I thought it was more in the neighborhood of 70K
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super Dave

I believe that DuHammel is in the $80k range, for reference.
Super Dave

motomadness

The stuff in my head has got to worth protecting.  I'll start the bidding at $100k.