News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

number plate question

Started by digitalRoost, August 22, 2004, 04:59:31 PM

digitalRoost

In my experience, it seems that CCS is pretty leanient (spelling?) on front number plates. It seems that if someone has the number plate actually painted on one side (e.g. most of the recent model Kawi's and others) they will let it fly. On the other hand, if you have both sides painted, they want you to move the numbers from side to side for each venue depending on which side the scorers are on. I'm getting my new bodywork painted and want to do something like below....can anyone from CCS tell me if this would pass tech?

I know the rule books say you have to be on the side of the scorers, but they also say your number cannot have air intake in between the digits and some other things that are never enforced. I had my body work painted like the factory honda's and never had issues despite it being "illegal".

I DON'T want to do this unless I'm forced to.

Thanks.

tomdavid

That's a good question. The rule book also states that the plates can not have borders, but I see that all the time. I my opinion a good outlined type face is actually more legible, and outlined number plates " like some Ducatis stock " can be so much more visually attractive. The old rules from the era of dusty 1/2 miles and muddy motocross don't seem to apply.

This doesn't answer your question I know, but having to put numbers on both sides of your air intake makes them less legible.

cstem

Brian, you may have the number on one side or the other.  If you paint both sides and want to switch them for different venues, you want the number to be closest to the starter, which is closest to the scoring personnel.  If you only paint one side, paint the side that will work for most tracks you go to.  REMEMBER- if you only paint/number one side and it is the opposite side from the scorers, you will not have a leg to stand on if there is a scoring mistake- beware, transponders do not lie, but they do sometimes not work!  If you paint both sides you may only number ONE side.  The front number plate is the most important because most side plate areas are getting super small prohibiting neat layout and it is too hard to see the side at 100+ MPH.  Remember no serifs on number ones.  Avoid borders and shading of plate and numbers.  Use 8 inch numbers if possible. If not run 6 inch and not a combination of both on one plate.  For everyone- avoid electrical tape- it looks like poo and at SW events we almost always have numbers available from Racer's Edge.

The starter postion for the following tracks- Firebird Main- left. Firebird East- right.  Streets of Willow-left. Willow main- Left.  Buttonwillow- Left.  Las Vegas when run clockwise- left, ccw right and which way it will be run next- probably cw but don't quote me on that just yet!  

Hope that helps and BTW is is lenient (You would not know it from this board but I can spell- I just cannot type! ;)).
The voice of the Southwest.

digitalRoost

QuoteHope that helps and BTW is is lenient
Cory, are you stating "it is" or asking "is it"????