Firebird video??

Started by digitalRoost, August 17, 2004, 05:11:33 PM

digitalRoost

Looking for a lap video of Firebird Main. AMA used to race there, so I hope it may be found. Please email me if you have or know of one.

digitalRoost @ gmail.com

-Brian

AZ-MilleR

AMA used to race at PIR (Phoenix International Raceway), not Firebird.  I have seen videos around of Firebird East track, but not Main.  
Alan
CCS AM #613 - Southwest
'01 Suzuki SV650
2005 SW AM Thunderbike Champion
2005 SW AM LW Supersport Champion

racen123

Actually they did race there. Advice...don't race there, it is the gnarliest track, fun but gnarley. Coming across the drag strip is fun, and the grand stands in the impact zone, and..and...andd..

digitalRoost

thats why i want to see video. I want to see it before I get there to decide.

racen123

I would go back if there was a big race or exposure but not worth it, kinda like Sears two AFM have died there in 2 months or something close to that.

Zac

If you find an AMA era video of Firebird Main, there is a change to the current configuration - back then they ran a chicane on the straight, which they no longer use, the straight just goes on forever.

I have no particular desire to race there, I've done it once, and I know quite a few people who have been seriously hurt there.  I will say one one of those guys that got hurt there back at an AMA national absolutely loves the track, probably 'cause he's really fast there.

-z.

MZGirl

Quote I will say one one of those guys that got hurt there back at an AMA national absolutely loves the track, probably 'cause he's really fast there.

The only reason I would go back to Main would to be to spectate and watch the above mentioned rider kick everyone's ass (if he ever raced there again).   ;)

Zac and I raced at Main last year for the first and last time.  I didn't have fun at all on that track.  Plus, it conflicts with ASMA's race date.

hi-side_racing

I've raced there many times, and I personally like the track. I've also crashed there several times.

Just have to watcth the tower turn. If its wet, its like ice and if they're repainted the drag strip lately, it takes awhile to get traction... you spin alot on the paint.

racen123

Yeah and you forgot to mention the big powerade sticker is pretty slippery too!

RAY_HYMER

My son and I have raced at Firebird many times.  I think between the two of us, we have crashed in every corner!!   :o    But....I look forward to racing there!  The 1/2 mile straight, the double left, the bleacher turns where you can actually hear the spectators yelling and rooting for you!  Yes, the tower turn is menacing, and I crashed in that turn the last time I raced there.  But if you are all afraid of crashing, why are you racing?   ???    You are the one that controls your bike!  Adapt to the conditions.  Another point to remember about that track is that as a spectator, if you sit in the East bleachers, you can see 90% of the track, and you get an excellent view of the passing moves that are done almost literally underneath you!!  ;D   Elaine, if you skip the race, you are going to hand Matt Buck the Ultralightweight class championship!!   :(  

tshowrench

How about just asking Matt and the others to band together and NOT ride at tracks that are so dangerous??

there is simply NO reason to race at a track that has a wall in every corner.. What is your life worth??

RAY_HYMER

Are you speaking from experience with regards to the Firebird Main track, or just rumor?   ???
I have seen FAR more people go to the hospital from crashes at Buttonwillow, and there isn't even a wall to hit there.  There is not a wall at every corner at Firebird, and haybales are placed all around the tower turn.  I think you need to go do a track day there or at least go look at the track before commenting on the configuration.
Based upon your opinion, I guess we should never race at Daytona, either!! ;)