f2 carbs air leak?

Started by sauce, August 13, 2004, 11:09:54 AM

sauce

I have an 92 f2 race bike for thunder bike class only.
The problem i'am having is the bike idles too high.
When the bike comes to normal temp.I've checked the carb boots,all tight,air box is tight,no fuel line kinks,but there is an air leak some where and i can't find it.If i come of the track the bike is at 1500-2000 rpm!Ive cleaned out the carbs,main jets,etc,but have not sync them yet.Could this be my problem?.
Don't know enff about this engine ,or carb set up.
Any heip would be great thank you. ???
Black ops racing,Bridgestone,Woodcraft,Regina,Cantu inc,sara young.

H-man

Hey there Sauce,

This response isn't the answer you're seeking, but another way of looking at you're situation.

I've an F2 also.  I actually raised my idle rpms to be where yours is now.  I did this to reduce/eliminate the abrupt response I was having when I got back on the throttle.

Maybe you don't have that issue.  But if so, just a thought another way to view your higher rpms :-/

Of course, after all that, you still have an unexplained reason for the higher idle.  :-[

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

sauce

h-man thanks but doesnt help me any.throttle hangs up,but cable are new and adj.its like i have an air leak,and its robbin me of power,thanks any way ???

H-man

You're absolutely right Sauce.  You may also wish to try your question at http://forums.cbrworld.net/.

There a ton of squids iover there, but you can sift out some good info every now and again.

Good luck and get back to us over here with the final disposition.  I'd like to know myself ;)

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

tomdavid

Some things you might check:

Sometimes the boots for the carb synch outlets crack and then leak. They come from the stub manifolds I beleive. They are these Honda part number:
95002-02070   CLIP, TUBE (B7) and there are 4 of them

The carb to manifold boot clamps must be " clocked " into ver specific positions otherwise the car arms hit the clamp screws.

Make certain that the jets are all nice and snug in their holders. Especially the Needle jet

Jusat some generall ideas. I do have a complete step by step how to do it with pics for rejetting F3 carbs. If that will help I'll send it along.

About the high idle. It is a good idea at times for certain riders on specific bikes. Unfortunately these F, F2, F3, F4 etc Hondas run hot as is and any idle over say 2000 will see them blow out some of the coolant in just the short time it takes to get off the track after a session. I learned the hard way.

H-man

Excellent info TomD.

I'll make sure not to raise the idle above 1,500 rpm.

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

sauce

Thank's tomdavid,i'll checkthe carb boot's they neverbeen off,but i'am sure there wheather cracked.thanks again.

Protein Filled

You can use a can of "starting fluid" or WD40 to spray around the carbs while the bike is idling. If the idle changes, you have found the vicinity of your leak...

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!