Deck / Head Milling HELP !

Started by cardzilla, August 08, 2004, 05:59:21 AM

cardzilla

Ok, first I was reading my rule book today and since it has been a while since I raced I think I missed something... is it really legal to mill a deck or head in supersport racing?  If so, I guess I've found some of my missing 20hp  ;D  I love doing all my own work including motor rebuilds, but I don't have the machinery to properly mill anything so I would appreciate some recommendations.  I live in Jacksonville so somebody between Atlanta and Miami would be optimal.  I had Dick Suarez at Full Spectrum do work on my F2 in '94, but it was very basic.  My 600rr currently dynos at 112, which is a little dissapointing.  Hopefully, this will still be legal for FUSA and AMA pro as I hope to do some of those events next year.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

Larry, you're disappointed with 112HP?

Yes, milling is legal in CCS supersport classes.

Dick still does good work, as far as I know.
Super Dave

cardzilla

Yeah I'm leaning towards Full Spectrum, just curious as to the options out there for tuners.  On another note, I woneder if Mr. Suarez will be happy with "thingy"... those censor programs can be a little ridiculous :D
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

If you were up this way, I'd do http://4and6.com ...You could do it regardless, but if you're gonna stay down that way...well, D1ck might be your best bet.
Super Dave

cardzilla

As to being dissapointed w/ 112 hp, it's a matter of efficiency.  I am very meticulous in preparing a bike so I expect great things... 112 should be attainable out of the box with a slip on and no power commander.  More power is always good and I certainly spend plenty of time on setup and suspension to get it to the pavement.  I look at the Ten Kate bike and that beast has a claimed 135hp... from a super sport 600!  Now even taking off for some fudging it probably still makes 128-130.  I think 120 hp on pump gas (or 123 on MR-9) is a very reasonable goal.  It certainly helps in the unlimited GP !
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

QuoteAI look at the Ten Kate bike and that beast has a claimed 135hp... from a super sport 600!

That's World Supersport.  Not the same rules at all when compared to AMA or CCS Supersport...WSS is more like Superbike with "stock parts".
Super Dave

stumpy

Larry,
 let me know what you come up with, I will be doing some motorwork to my RR for next year, curious how it goes. Is that 113hp just with a slip-on?

Stumpy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

cardzilla

In current form the bike has an Arata full titanium system, a custom mapped PC III usb, redline 30W synthentic oil, an emgo "hi-flow" filter, and a 520 chain conversion. Dynos differ, but the stock bike curves they had from earlier in the week seemed pretty good, so I'm confident it was pretty accurate.  I know a few tricks that could maybe get 3HP and I think the MR-9 is worth 2-3, plus whatever milling the deck nets... my guess is 3-4.  I think 8 hp is there and that would get me to 120, which is where I want to be.  I'll post it when I get the results.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

stumpy

120hp would be sweet,  Now if I can get mine to go on a diet ;) I got a local working on a alluminum subframe. We'll see how that goes.

Stumpy
www.teamstumpyracing.com

cardzilla

Yeah, you're right stumpy, this bike is PORTLY.  I felt like I had been beaten by a gorilla after my first weekend of racing.  I have taken off everything I could think of and used wave rotors (which, by the way, actually ADD .6 of a lb to the front... offset by a loss of .7 in the back for a WHOPPING .1 of a lb ??? ) Let me know how that subframe works out, I thought about the same thing and decided it would be too much of a pain.  I thought about buying some titanium motor bolts, etc, but when I saw the price I decided to take the training up a notch and loose a few pounds.  So far I'm down to 175, 165 is my goal.  Between the money I save on food and not buying titanium I may even be able to afford tires  :)
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Steviebee

gee stump  i thought u had 4and2 build u a 130hp  bike allready?

whats it going to be next year 140?

stumpy

;D Funny Steve-o..Wasn't it you that put a 1000 engine in your 750??? How's that going?

Stumpy
www.teamstumpyracing.com