News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Getting better rear tire grip

Started by bsavoie, August 05, 2004, 07:26:57 AM

H-man

bsavoie, are you still out there?  Has any of this been useful?  Info overload maybe?

You say that your SV is sliding around?  You may wish to read the comments by ekraft at http://www.racemotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=tips;action=display;num=1091243911;start=.  Eddie's a pretty quick SV rider racing in WERA.  Your issue may be the same as he described.

Just tryin' ta help bra 8)
Later
  H-man
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Tunersricebowl

Try reducing the comp damping,it will let the weight transfer to the rear quicker.

fourandsix

Super Dave

QuoteI know but i'm not telling !

Yup, and the source to fix your problems...manufactured by the chassis or your own undoing...

http://4and6.com
Super Dave

Steviebee

QuoteI know but i'm not telling !

Great customer service !

Ridgeway

QuoteGreat customer service !

Well, are you their customer?  If so, I'm sure they'll be glad to help you out!
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

zoner

motomadness

Adding ride height in the rear promotes more swingarm angle therefore producing more antisquat.  His complaint is loosing grip when ON the gas exiting corners.

motomadness

zoner,

Why would more swingarm angle produce more anti-squat?  Yes, the geometry changes and the multiplication of the forces changes with geometry, but spring preload will probably have a bigger effect on anti-squat than simply changing the ride height 2-3 mm.  One would think that more rear ride height would allow more swingarm travel, not less.

What I learn at Pridmore's Star School was to reduce the time I had the bike leaned over, especially on the exits.  I think someone said this earlier - pick the bike up, while keeping your body off to the side will allow you to complete the turn and get on the fatter part of the tire = more grip.

Super Dave

Quotezoner,

Why would more swingarm angle produce more anti-squat?

Because it changes the relationship between the swingarm pivot, the rear axle, and the countershaft.  

Think about it.

You could have the exact same angle of the swingarm on any bike, but because of the relationship between the components...lower countershaft, longer distance from the pivot to the countershart or the rear axle...it's all related.

That's why building a really competitive bike is hard.  

Super Dave

motomadness

I didn't deny that, I just don't think that alone will multiply the forces to make a significant difference in squat.  If 2-3 mm of shock ride height turn into 10-15 mm of swingarm pivot height, then I would agree more, but I don't think that's the case.

I think often times, we focus too much on the bike and not enough on the riding behavior.

Super Dave

You can get the ride height out of whack where it makes too much anti-squat.  

That was my problem on my GSXR600...dummy me, I wasn't using the GMD stuff from 4&6, but I do have some experience in bikes too.

Anyway, the trick is being able to recognize and determine what you need to do to the chassis.

Too much focus on the bike?  Never.

Too little on the rider?  Well, it's part of it.  The rider must execute reasonably.  You and I are not going to be able to do what Mladin does.  But, on the flip side, we may not be able to even ride his set up...back to the chassis.  

Is the bike hard to ride?  Are you tired?  Does it destroy tires when it shouldn't?  Bike.

I'll see you tomorrow, Sean... ;D
Super Dave

khanson

On a lighter note........

Buy a 1000....carry a lot of corner speed for an extended period of time....whack the throttle.....and enjoy your flight!!!!!!
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309