Overall Points!!!!!

Started by Ryan125, August 03, 2004, 05:00:48 PM

Ryan125

I dont know about anyone else but I'm a little ticked about how the over all points leader is determined. From what I see some people are buying there way into the points! Ive never seen a sport where you can purchase a championship. but I guess Im just crazy. It kind of lowers a sports value when you just buy your way through it. It also lowers the value of other riders accomplishments who actually EARN there way up. I dont know maybe its just me? but what do you think???????????? >:(

stumpy

Ya I here ya...Being the overall points leader in the Expert Division of Midwest and Great Plains, I'm one of the ones that I remember that is attempting it  on only one bike. It is easy to buy two bikes enter all the races in middle weight heavy weight and light weight, Do one lap, pull in and wait till the next race! ::)

I'm ranked in the top five in every class I compete in.  Meanwhile I raced 90 races and had not one DNF... Knock on wood fast ;) And 70 Top tens (Not that I'm keeping track ;D) 24 of which were top five. Come talk to me after a race and see If I am bustin' my B*lls for it!!!

Stumpy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

LMsports

Should I take this as your resume stumpy?
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

stumpy

Not til its done........ ;)

Stumpy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Zac

Overall points determines the number plates, so yes you can buy a plate.  Can you buy the number 1 plate?  Probably not, because there will be someone out there who enters a lot of classes, hits all the rounds, and is pretty fast.  There are also people who aren't so fast, but enter a lot of races and try their best, and with that dedication they get a number plate.  There's also the guys that run one lap in every race and get a plate, that sucks!

Brings up the question: what should determine number plates?  Overall points rewards the people who show dedication and make sacrifices, and pay CCS the most money.  Should the plates be given by a single class, Unlimited GP?  In this case the fastest, most consistant (in one class) rider gets the number 1.  What about the guys with 600s or SVs that aren't as competitive in UL GP?

When Roger Heemsbergen started ASMA he made it so that the premier class awarded the numberplates, because he HATED the overall points / buying plates when he raced CCS back in the mid '90s.  It works great, everyone knows the guys with the low numbers are the fastest out there.  The current #1 did it with a 600.  There are also awards for top overall expert and am, but these are small awards.

Would CCS do it?  Doubt it, why would anyone have the incentive to enter a ton of races then.  Less entry fees for CCE and smaller grids for us.

-z.

Ryan125

what stumpy and I are talking about is track champions and The #1 nothing else. people who enter a s**t load of races and do 1 lap and pull in just to get points are doing it just for that reason. I dont see how some one pulling that s**t can show up to a race and show there face. if you want a championship Earn it!!! its that simple. if people want this sport to grow, they need to treat it like a SPORT.

jp233

I dunno if you just haven't realized it, but this SPORT costs a hell of a lot of money.

some *could* buy a championship/points/#1plate whatever, some cant.

I don't know anyone who would do the whole "have a bike for every class do one lap and pit in". I doubt anybody would have the sack to show their face at a racetrack.

the whole overall points thing also caters to those bikes ytou CAN race in a lot of classes. unlike my TZ 250, which is only legal in but a few...

BTW I'm earning my own championship.
Tactical Racing #233

EX#996

Quotewhat stumpy and I are talking about is track champions and The #1 nothing else. people who enter a s**t load of races and do 1 lap and pull in just to get points are doing it just for that reason. I dont see how some one pulling that s**t can show up to a race and show there face. if you want a championship Earn it!!! its that simple. if people want this sport to grow, they need to treat it like a SPORT.

Chill Ryan....

I understand your frustration.  Yes, you can "buy" a championship, but it takes a lot of $$$ and dedication.  Money for some is more easily attainable that for others, but if you are going to 'buy' the championship, you still have to show up to all the events and still run the races.

From your post, I'm assuming that you may run the MW series.  If you do, walk upto the #1 plate (his name is Doc Stein), and ask him how he feels about purchasing his #1 plate last year.  He will be more than happy to tell you about it.

In regards to the track championship, the winner from last year cannot win it the following year.  I believe that Stumpy's in line to win that one this year.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Ryan125

Im in mid-atlantic region. its just that if you enter a ton of races and you dont do well in any of them and you just show up and do a few laps and pull in. How in the world do you deserve a #1 or a track champion. its simple YOU DONT!

EX#996

QuoteIm in mid-atlantic region. its just that if you enter a ton of races and you dont do well in any of them and you just show up and do a few laps and pull in. How in the world do you deserve a #1 or a track champion. its simple YOU DONT!

Yeah....

There should be some incentive to do well.  However, this is the system that we are currently working with and it won't change for this year.  If a well thought out plan, one that is easily tracked and accepted by the majority of the licensed racers is developed, this plan can be forwarded to Kevin Elliot for future years.

Changes have been made.  There is nothing to say that this can't be one of them.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

slipshod

Whether or not a racer is "earning" their points is listed on the OA Points chart too.

It's called Performance Index.  ::)

gpracer171

Stumpy,
I know you and race against you. You are my Hero ;D. You do work for and deserve the Championship that I hope you win this season. I do mean that in earnest.

With that said, some of you might know of another organization that does the #1 plate this way, but I do not. I feel that it is a BS way to drain money from riders who seek the Championship. It is a numbers and money game. We have seen it, buy an SV and you can enter nearly every race. Then just do the laps, even in last place, and if the grids are small in many classes you have the most points at the day.

I personally feel that the #1 plate should go the champion of the premier class race (choose that class, unlimited or whatever). I have seen this in other racing organizations (MRA, AMA, yes I know they have a #1 per class) and it is based on performance and you can't simply buy it. Now, I must also say that in this game we play, money is a factor for success (or even being here to begin with), the more cash the more better the bike and lap times regardless of skill level. However, I feel better seeing the #1 plate on a guy who wins the most races, has the skill, and does the best through the year verses the guy who entered the most races and lapped in the mid pack at best for most of the season.

That is my piece.
Bottom line, it is a money making plan for the CCS. They know that there will be guys who try to buy the plate and give them $500+ per weekend even if he does not success. I do not choose to fight for this title, but I could not afford or would not afford to spend over $5,000+ in entries per season.

Again, to the guys truly RACING for the championship, More power to you and good luck. To the guys trying to finish mid to back pack in every race, you can buy a #1 plate but not the respect that should accompany it.

Mike