Newb with questions on Preping an SV

Started by KWComp, August 03, 2004, 10:06:27 AM

KWComp

Hi everyone, Just recently graduated from Learning Curves and I am looking for an SV.  I am not really familiar with this bike so I am looking for some input.  I believe I want one of the newer fuel injected ones to keep life simple in the tuning dept.  But what am I going to need as far as the basics go to be ready for the track.  What brands of aftemarket goodies work best with this bike.  I was thinking a extra set of wheels, rear sets, clip ons, body work, exhaust, front fairing stay.....  
I am shopping for mostly used bits, and would like to avoid making to many mistakes on where to spend the almighty dollar.  I know this is a lot of questions from a new member but thankyou for any input.

LMsports

We don't currently have much for used parts for these bikes but I can offer you a package deal on new parts that you may be needing for race prepping your bike. Pleased feel free to contact me at your convenience with any questions you may have. We'll do whatever we can to help.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

KWComp

Thank You for that offer Rob, I will be in touch.  Also, to everyone else, I found a thread with answers to many of my questions in another section of the forum.  Please forgive my laziness in not using the search option sooner.   ;D

EM JAY

Frame Sliders!   ;D   Motosliders.com

Beat you to it Nate!   ;)
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

Protein Filled

First thing: Suspension! If you buy a stock bike, that is the first thing you need to fix. Everything else can wait until after that. The stock shock and front end are worthless...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

tigerblade

The stock suspension on the SV's pretty much sucks.  Have the forks sprung for your weight and I'd recommend cartridge emulators.  Ryan at Lithium Motorsports did my forks and they work great.  Massive improvement over stock.  Aftermarket shock is also high on the list.  I have Penske, but any aftermarket shock is going to be a step up.  Bodywork is a given.  Braided steel brake lines for the front (I use Galfer).  I had these things done before the first race.  Then added M4 full exhaust, Woodcraft rearsets and I'm adding a Scott's steering damper before Barber.  Already had tire warmers from last year.  An extra set of wheels would be nice but I'd spend the $$$ on the other stuff first.  

Edit- Oh yeah, frame sliders from Nate at MotoSliders.   ;D
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

lbk

I'm going to play devils advocate here. Although the newer FI models may make tuning easier. Realistically starting out you probably aren't going to be doing much tuning, you'll set it and run it.

The advantage to the 99-02 is that they are plentiful, cheap, and if you need things I mean need them at the track right now you have a better chance of finding it because there are more of them out there. Just my .02

I thought about the FI model for the same reasons, but decided against it for what I listed above, and for the price of an 03-04 model you can get a fully race prepped, with suspsension upgrades 99-02 which means you are ready to go for much cheaper.

KWComp

Thanks for the input guys, and LBK you make some good points.  Is there anything I should look for in a 99-02 model, parts that wear out or fatigue, trans issues, clutch problems?  Or is there one year that is better than another?  After shopping around for the last few days it would certainly be a cheaper initial investment to get a bike already set up.

ekraft84

Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

EM JAY

I've got an 01' S model.  Havent had any problems short of keeping it on the track  ;D   What I have done is, rear shock, Hyperpro, stearing dampner, Hyperpro, front forks were done by 4&6 but for previous owners weight (that I usta be :()  I've got Hotbodies bodywork (for the 03, so it fit like crap).  Front lines braided steel (can't remember what kind),  got a GPR exhaust that I actually received contigency for but wrecked it.   :P
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

lbk

There was one recall throughout the 99-02 span, but can't remember the details about it hopefully someone else can answer it.

Also if you shop for one already prepped try to find one from a rider that is pretty close to your weight, that will save you from having to buy new springs.

If you plan on running the supersport class make sure the bike is still legal. Check CCS rulebook for specifics on this, and ask the person selling it they will usually know.

Next be sure to make a decision about which is more important a highly competitive bike or a durable bike, because a lot of people do work to SV's to make them more competitive some of this work can reduce reliability.

As far as clutches go I wouldn't worry too much, mine was a street bike, then endurance raced for over a year, I bought it had the motor rebuilt, but didn't replace any of the clutch plates, and haven't had any problems after racing it all this year. Outside of my one little electrical gremlin I have right now, but that's pretty minor.

Hope that helps, sorry so long winded.

Dawn

The recall was on the '01 bikes.  It had to do with an oil baffel in the oil pan to keep oil in the front cylinder.  Call any Suzuki dealer with the VIN number and they can tell you if and when your bike was fixed.

We have an 01 SV also.  

1)  Suspension (forks and you WILL want a Penske rear shock)

2)  Race body work.  We're running Hotbodies, but even GSXR600 body work can fit.

3) Clipons and rearsets

4) then you can go with exhaust (M4 works the best on the SV) and other mods.

Dawn   :)