Do racers like rollercoasters?

Started by Lowe119, July 30, 2004, 08:32:41 AM

Lowe119

Do you like riding rollercoasters?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm just weird or if there is more people who don't really get a thrill out of rollercoasters. I liked them when I was a kid, but now they seem quite boring. Obviously I would much rather be putting my head down into a long sweeping corner with me at the controls, but does it compare? For those who would never race a bike, do they enjoy coasters better? Is it because I can experience the track that coasters are boring? Or is there no correlation at all? Are we considered "thrill seekers?" I hate those stereotypical "Mountain Dew" bunge-jumping comparisons when people talk about our racing. - But that's a little off track.....

Y'all got some interesting results on the personality test. Now I'm wondering about this.  :-/ ;D

davegsxrold929r

i like them ., but the hole time i am on them i am thinking how they are made and where it will break..,

kinda ruins the ride...lol

cornercamping

Hell no.  I don't like those things.  That whole loopy thing's gotta go.  My wife made me go on the roller coaster at New York New York in Vegas.  I about passed out.  I don't feel comfortable on anything that goes 50 mph on a track, especially when I don't have access to a brake lever.  I don't do sking or snow boarding either.  No brakes.  If it ain't got not brakes I can grab, I ain't gettin' on it  :(

davegsxrold929r

hahah wimp ....LOL...

snowboard.
mountainbike.,
racebike.,

snowbaord has brakes., your body  ;D

cornercamping

Wimp or not.  No brakes = No Dan

I'd prefer not to use my body as a brake.  Thanks. ;)

Anything that I have control over is fine, but their has to be funcitonal brakes that I control.  Plus, I don't do heights either.  ;D

Lowe119

hmmmm......  Wouldn't this kind of baffle those who say we are nutz??? I tell people I won't ride a horse or a skateboard, because it is too easy to fall and break bones. But they think I'm crazy for racing my bike. I don't.

I agree with the brakes theory. I have gone hellacious speeds on mountain bikes - over rocks, roots, and what-not, but there was always brakes. Skateboards - nope. I do snowboard once in a while, but don't feel too safe at high speeds. Coasters put too much faith in someone I don't know.

So does that mean that racers fall out of the "Thrill Seekers" or "Adrenalin Junkies" categories? I hope so.

cornercamping

I won't ride a horse either.  Again, it's a control thing.  The wife and I went to Mackinac Island in Northern Michigan, where their are no cars or motor vehicles allowed.  Horse and buggy only.  She wanted to rent horses.  I was like are you crazy?  Those things get pissed and you'r on your head.  Plus, the can take off like a bat outta hell for no reason, and they bite too.  Ever seen how big a horses teeth are  :o  Imagine getting bit by a pissed off horse.  NO THANKS.

NO BRAKE LEVER = NO DAN  ;D

I gotta have control of the throttle, brakes, and steeringwheel/handlebars  ;)

davegsxrold929r

well put it that way we fall in as CONTROL FREAKS,

which is oh so true in alot of ways.,,.

horses teeth.,. they sure are big... ;)

EX#996

Quote Ever seen how big a horses teeth are  :o  Imagine getting bit by a pissed off horse.  NO THANKS.

Yep....

Then I gave the horse a bloody nose.  He never bit me again.

;)

Paul and Dawn Buxton

cornercamping

Nah, I'm not a control freak though.  I have no problem going two up on a bike.  Hell, I'd ride on the back of a bike with a fast rider as long as they don't have a long crash history.  Hell, I've ridden on the back of a bike at both Grattan and Gingerman during trackdays.  Atleast that way I know what it feels like to go fast  :P   I'd like to ride 2 up with a factory AMA rider.   I'd trust that.  No problem.  It's just when it comes down to not having control of the machine even as the rider.  That's the issue.  Snow boards, ski's, skateboards, ect. I don't do.

Another thing that spooks me, are scooters believe it or not.  I have a friend that owns a Vespa/Aprilia/MotoGuzzi dealer, and I've ridden some of those scooters that do 100 mph.  Kinda like an Aprilia 500, and a Vespa 150.  I don't trust those either.   I took a Vespa type scooter on the E-Way that would do 80 mph, but I wasn't comfortable going over 55 for some reason.  I had a tighter grip on the handlebars on that thing than I do on my bike in the top of 5th gear flying down the straight.  It just didn't seem right, but the scooter was stable at that speed.  Maybe just cause I know it's a scooter  ???

cornercamping

QuoteYep....

Then I gave the horse a bloody nose. ÊHe never bit me again.

;)

I knew your a fighter  ;D  I wish you'd come to the bar with us.  We could start some crap and tear up the whole place  ;D

tigerblade

I never cared much for theme parks/carnivals.  Roller coasters are fine, and fun to a point, but you know where it's going to go, what's going to happen.  You just sit there and go for the ride.  The most exciting time was when the thing started moving and I realized the shoulder bar wasn't latched...   :o
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...