Race start procedures

Started by RdRcr150, July 28, 2004, 06:31:11 PM

RdRcr150

On Sunday July 25 at Moroso I saw the most flagrant disregard for proper starting procedures in my thirty years of racing. It was announced that certain rules for entry onto the track, after the five minute board had been shown. Jump forward to the last race of the day. Unlimited GP (the Shootout)!
The entire field excluding 2 riders were assembled on the start grid ready for the start of the race. I was watching between turns 8 and 9. I looked up and a rider was just now passing in front of me. I thought "My riders engine is going to be smoking by the time he gets to the grid!"  He still had a ways to go before they start the race. So there sits my rider with the engine temperature past 230F, when what to my wondering eyes should appear but another rider coming onto the track just now navigating his way through the chicane after turn 2. As the field sits waiting, heating my engine 245F, this professional rider of high ranking winds his way towards the overheating field. After he arrives, one minute and 12 seconds later, (I timed him) he has to be assisted even more causing more time delay. From the time I started the clock on him to the start of the race as called by the announcer there was a 2 minute 46 second delay. I am not sure who is at fault here or why this situation occured but this needs to not happen again. There are clearly defined rules for the starting procedure as written in the CCS rulebook. Several of those rules were clearly broken. The part that irks me the most is that would this situation have occured if the late rider was not a past champion, but instead nobody racer me?

r6_philly

which part of the rule was broken?

so you can get on to your warm up lap when the 5 board is shown, and you can get direct to grid when the 4 board is shown, and you missed the race at the 3 board. So if the 5 board is still up when that rider came out for a warm up lap, then he can as leasurely as he wishes to complete the warm up lap, and they will hope the 2 board until he sets.

I don't know about your track, but anywhere else I have raced, if the 5 board is gone, they won't let me out on to the track. so if someone got on to the track, the 5 board is still up.

After every one gets to the grid, the 2 board goes to 1 board. So technically, they are allowed to take 2 minutes to start the race. So if you are the first one out on the warm up lap, and first one to grid, then you may wait up to 4 minutes to start your race.

I am just interested in knowing what rule was broken in your mind?

The moral of not sitting on the grid over heating is never go out on the warm up lap early. that way your engine will be cool and tires will be hot when the race starts. Its the warm up lap, not the 1st lap... By the way most exprerienced racers come to the grid as late as they could, as the guy in your race did.

cstem

It seems you should have done a little research.  Did you inquire politley with your Referee or Race Director?  Maybe the five board was still displayed.  Maybe the five baird was out too long.  Maybe the pre grid marshall goofed and let the riders on when they should not have.  I have seen all of this happen before.  Regardless, if your engine cannot sit at an idle for more than 3 minutes, maybe you should look into that.  How much weight are you really saving by pulling off a radiator fan?  A 1/2 pound?  Is it giving you a second advantage? Also, I agree with Philly, but a rider that intentionally makes others wait on the grid can become real unpopular, especially here in the Southwest where we race in 90+ degree temps alot.  If for some reason the riders were let out by accident (and while I was race control this happened) the riders should have been let out for a second warm up (cool down?) lap to prevent overheats and fluid loss on the grid (which I did).  So basically, while I understand your frustration, all you really have is frustration and since you did no research at the track, you have no answer to your frustration.  Feel free to vent, but have purpose behind it.
The voice of the Southwest.

CCSRacer114

Moroso can be very hot during the summer...

It's quite possible that the rider you are speaking about just finished the MWGP race, pulled into his pit and dropped off his 600, fired up his 1K and went out to ride the Unlimited GP.

Please speak with the race officials when you have a question, especially in the Florida region.  We're all friends here.

MELK-MAN

QuoteMoroso can be very hot during the summer...

It's quite possible that the rider you are speaking about just finished the MWGP race, pulled into his pit and dropped off his 600, fired up his 1K and went out to ride the Unlimited GP.

Please speak with the race officials when you have a question, especially in the Florida region.  We're all friends here.

Yes, you got it Rob. Marco Martinez had to go back and get his 1k as did Jim Pihoken. I was still on my 600 as the 3 of us had just finished the mid wt GP but those 2 had to switch. However.. Jim had no problem getting out, and was waiting on the front row even before i got to the 2nd row. Marco was gridded next to me and even being the last one on the line, had a problem with the bike further delaying the start.
I agree with many of the posts above though. As frustrating as it was for us.. i dont think he did anything wrong. He had been held at pit out for an earlier race (thanks Marco ;D-i took 2nd in that one). They have NO problems holding you if you are late. The last rider out has to pass a turn on the track, after that NO MORE riders can go out. He is out on track and has some time prior to the 1 board. Yes, it sucked.. myself and everyone was getting pissed. Jim threw his hands up a few times but it is club racing and i dont think any real harm was done. I head out fairly late for this very reason. I realy motor on my warm up lap but i am never the 1st out. Happy racin :)
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

speedster_1

RRR this past weekend...2 wave am/ex start.  I'm in the 2nd wave.  1 board goes sideways for the 2nd wave...the starter flinched and started to drop the flag...then raised it back..then dropped it.  Luckily I paused as he pulled back and no meatball.  IMO it cost me the lead into 1.  No biggie...got the leader next lap.  but was a bit pissed about the flinching!!!!

Complained to race director who stated that should not have happened....

r6_philly

Maybe there was a bee on his arm  ;D well they are not traffic lights, stuff can happen.

I wonder why don't they just use a portable traffic light to do starts.

CCSRacer114

QuoteRRR this past weekend...2 wave am/ex start.  I'm in the 2nd wave.  1 board goes sideways for the 2nd wave...the starter flinched and started to drop the flag...then raised it back..then dropped it.  Luckily I paused as he pulled back and no meatball.  IMO it cost me the lead into 1.  No biggie...got the leader next lap.  but was a bit pissed about the flinching!!!!

Complained to race director who stated that should not have happened....

Hah!  If the starter flinches in Florida, Jim Pihokken is gone!

(Sometimes he's gone anyway!  ;D)

Thingy

QuoteHow much weight are you really saving by pulling off a radiator fan?  A 1/2 pound?  

Did your rider not have a starter on his bike either?  I don't have a radiator fan and on several occasions have simply shut off my bike until everybody was ready to go.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

hdpromos

rdrcr150, I'm afraid you are right. Martinez was late and should have been held at pit out. He would have been waved out after the grid cleared turn #1. Our procedure at Moroso is when the first rider arrives at turn #10 (on the warm up lap) no more riders are allowed to go out. It was an officials mistake (and I know which official), so he was allowed to continue to the start line. You can bet we will try to keep that from happening again. Most will tell you we are quite strict about this procedure. My apologies to all concerned. :-[

HD

RdRcr150

Thanks Henry! I thought you would understand.

quicktoy

SEE THERE YOU GO..SIMPLE MISTAKE IT CAN HAPPEN, BUT AS YOU SEE hENRY AS ALWAYS IS ON TOP OF THINGS.

HENRY CANT WAIT TO SEE YA AT NORTH FLORIDA.  SEE YA SOON

SCOTT
My return as an Amateur