News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

do I need insurance????

Started by digitalRoost, July 28, 2004, 06:16:55 AM

digitalRoost

Ok, so I'm considering dropping my motorcycle coverage down to theft and fire only. I'm not the kind of guy to make an insurance claim (or lie about one) when I crash during a race.

What I need to know is am I at risk of some other racer making a claim against me if we crash together in a race? Is there any sort of protection against someone trying to "milk me" via an insurance claim?

Any information, opinions or war stories would help!

Thanks,
-Brian

KBOlsen

QuoteWhat I need to know is am I at risk of some other racer making a claim against me if we crash together in a race? Is there any sort of protection against someone trying to "milk me" via an insurance claim?
-Brian

When that starts happening, racing will die.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

davegsxrold929r

they sign a waver when you sign in at any track that prevents this., and has yet to be beat by a lawyer....

and that person should be beaten if they even try anyway., this is a sport .,...

George_Linhart

OK - I'm not a Lawyer, but, here is my understanding.

The reality in our legal system is that they could sue you, the waiver just provides a defense.  It does not eliminate the party's ability to pursue legal action.

Given the obvious assumed risks as well as the waivers that are signed, it is unlikely that any lawyer would take the case to litigate.  I would, point out, however that waivers (no matter how well written and documented) are not valid with respect to Gross Negligence or Willful Misconduct.  So, if you purposely rammed someone with the intent to hurt or kill; or did something so obviously likely to cause damage or injuries there could be a strong enought case to get an ambulance chaser to take it to court.

I hope it never happens in the sport, but, it is the reality and a risk that all should think about...  A cheep mitigant would be to talk to the company that provides your homeowner's or renter's insurance - you can get something like a $1M umbrella liability policy fairly cheep and this would make sure that someone is there to pay for lawyers to defend you should there be an issue.

George Linhart
CCS #773