Best way to get started?

Started by Ridgeway, July 27, 2004, 09:55:04 AM

Ridgeway

First of all, I want to thank you all for the wealth of information that I've learned here going through all the old posts.  Reading the board and spectating at the last BHF round have convinced me that this is something I want to be a part of.

To that end, I've purchased an SV650 and have started compiling the list of things that I need to put together to race it next year.

I'd like to ask a few questions to help me get all my ducks in a row though.

1. Equipment, what is the typical setup for a supersport-legal SV?  Here's what I have in mind:

- Fork internals (traxxion)
- Rear Shock (penske)
- Front brake lines & pads (Galfer superbike)
- Sliders (frame & swingarm)
- Exhaust (M4) + PCIII
- Steering damper (GPR)
- Bodywork (Armourbodies or Sharkskinz)
- clip-on's & rearsets (woodcraft)

Anything else that should be on the list, or anything here that I don't really need?  How about gauges, or a lap timer?

2. Tires

Just starting out, do I really need to run DOT race rubber, or would I be ok using a street/track tire like BT14's, PilotSports etc?

3. Equipment.

I know I'll need my front and rear stands and a good set of tools.  Anything in particular that I should make sure to have?

4. Track Time

I've been through Reg Pridmore's school twice now at Road America on my VFR and find myself comfortably in the "A" or faster group.  Should I be looking to do some track days at BHF, or should I just sign up for the LCR or SD's school and get myself on the grid?

5. Anything else?  Anything I've left out or should consider yet?  Yes, I know I need to check into my insurance, and I know I will need a money press to fund my habit!!!

Thanks in advance for the advice!
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

H-man

Yo Ridgeway!  Welcome!

Since I'm a newbie too, I'll just share my insights on a few of your questions.  I'll leave the others to those with more experience than me to address the others.

Tires - You don't need DOT race tires to start.  And for some of us, we may never need a new set of race tires.  Take-offs from a known source, Pirelli Diablo Corsas, Michelin Pilot Power (new) s/b more than sufficient.

Equip - If you lose your temp guage when you remove the headlight and go with an aftermarket fairing bracket, then a stand alone temp guage along with a tach would seem to me to be the essentials as far as guages go.  A lap timer is a very good thing to have, but not essential.

Tools - Definitely buy quality tools.  YOu don't need to get Snap-on or Matco.  I'd reco Craftsman professional series.  Good rachet/socket set and buy the hex attachments for the socket set (what the hell, get SAE & metric).  For sure, buy a torque wrench

Lastly, get thee to some track days.  Taking the classes is great for teh knowledge of what to do, but you have to practice it in order to remember it and fit it into the way you ride.  If all it took to learn and ingrain a skill was a couple classes, I'd be a math and philosophy major (and a lot better rider too) ;)

Good luck
H-man
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Zac

It's a good idea to do a track day (or more) just to get familar with the new bike and get some initial setup before having to worry about race school.

-z.

Ridgeway

QuoteTools - Definitely buy quality tools.  YOu don't need to get Snap-on or Matco.  I'd reco Craftsman professional series.  Good rachet/socket set and buy the hex attachments for the socket set (what the hell, get SAE & metric).  For sure, buy a torque wrench

Yep, I'm actually pretty well set for tools, and have hex sockets, torque wrench etc.  I will however need to use something more portable than my large Craftsman tool chest to transport them.  I'd love to have a big enclosed trailer right away, but the budget won't likely allow for that right out of the gate.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

KBOlsen

Get the lap timer.  How else will you know if you're going faster (unless you're at a CCS or LP trackday with a transponder).
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Ridgeway

Speaking of lap timers, what is the preference, XT, MyChron?

Also, would I need a transmitter and receiver, or just a receiver?
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

Dawn

PCIII is not needed....

Save your money.

Dawn   ;)

KBOlsen

I can only think of one time when I went to the track and there wasn't a beacon.  

I'm not quite sold on those pricey aftermarket rearsets, either.  Stockers are plentiful, cheap, and with some flat stock and a drill you can make your own relocator kits.  I'm sure there are arguments on both sides of the coin on that one... and honestly, I've never HAD aftermarket pegs so I don't know what I'm missing.

When I bought mine, XT was the "hot setup"... but I've been hearing that the current generation Mychron's are much fancier.  

As for tires... race rubber is cheap insurance compared to repairing crash damage to your bike (and body).  Do you really want to take the chance of being on crappy street tires when you DO surpass their capabilities?

Racing is so incredibly MENTAL.  If something gives you confidence to push harder, you would be silly not to use it.  KNOWING that I'm running on good, sticky tires means I don't have to think about them... I can concentrate on things that are really important.  I don't know if tire warmers really made a difference, but I FELT more confident going out on pre-warmed tires.  Believing my tires were already up to temp when I hit the grid allowed me to focus on charging as hard as I could at the start of the race.

Bernie

Yes you DO need to buy new race tires.  Thankfully your SV will be easy on tires, but when the time comes, buy new ones from your trackside vendor of choice and enjoy one of the best pleasures in life: new race rubber.

Shagged out take-offs will only teach you how to crash on someone elses crappy throw-away junk.

Seriously.

Welcome aboard!!  :)

Ridgeway

Thanks for the info everybody!!!

What's the going rate trackside for a set of race tires mounted and balanced?

I have a tire-changer & balancer setup in my garage, I mean er...  race shop  ;)  I got tired of paying $100 too much for street tires plus $20+ per tire mounting and balancing at my local shops.  I'm all for doing business locally, but I'm not going to pay that kind of premium.

Would I be able to save any cash by buying tires mail-order/online and mounting myself ahead of time, or would it be best to just have it done for me at the track?
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

cornercamping

You guys forgot the most important thing  ???

Lots, and Lots, and Lots, and Lots... OF MONEY !

GAS + HOTEL/CAMP + TRACK ENTRY + RACE ENTRY + TIRES + GAS + BROKEN PARTS + FOOD + BRIBARY MONEY FOR TECH INSPECTOR (j/K) =

Hope you don't plan on doing anything else, for a long time.  

Racing/Racetrack = Crack

Once your hooked....  ;D 8)  Good luck though.  Let me know if ya need any help.  8)

#35 AM (GL)

KBOlsen

Ridgeway...

When you support your trackside tire vendors, you will be getting much more than the best price on race tires.  You will be getting the benefit of their knowledge and experience.