News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Best way to get started?

Started by Ridgeway, July 27, 2004, 09:55:04 AM

tigerblade

I agree that I'd recommend going to full race tires.  A street tire or hybrid might be all right for a trackday, but racing is a little more...intense.  You'll go faster than you ever have and you don't want to end up wishing you had stickier rubber.  Support your trackside vendor.   ;)

My bike has pretty much what you listed in the first post, except for the Power Commander.  I don't feel a need for it right now and tire warmers would be a better investment.  

See ya out there!  
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Mark Bernard

Welcome to the circus Ridgeway. Hope you have a great time! Ride smart, ride safe, but most importantly... have fun! Mark!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Super Dave

Suspension should be the top priority.

Without a lot of experience, a poorly set up bike is pretty awful to ride.  And with experience, it's still terrible.

I use Hyperpro products...their shock along with their rising rate springs front and rear.  Because the rate of the spring is different depending upon the load, it offers me an advantage in that I'm not over dampened for a particular stroke on the bike.

Hyperpro shocks are designed to use a lighter oil, so they are not affected by heat or cold like many of the other shocks that I have used.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/

http://4and6.com does all that work for me.

Tires.  New.  I use Michelins because of their traction, durability, and contingency.  Tom Mason is a great resource also.

Gearing.  It blows not having the opportunity to make the bike's motor work in the proper RPM range.  Additionally, I use gearing to affect change to the geometry of my bike.

I haven't seen the PC's to be consistently reliable...especially for the money.

4&6 has a new FI thing.  Less than $200, reliable, and I can make adjustments with a screwdriver, or return it to previous settings.  

Track time isn't like race time.  And unless someone is driving you a little harder, you might not be inputting into the bike hard enough to get the correct feedback.

My schools?  Well, I don't take many people, so the opportunity is there.

XT timers seem to be good.
Super Dave

Ridgeway

Hi Dave,

Is that FI box the techlusion?  I might just give that a try.  I never was particularly thrilled with the PCIII on my VFR, but it seems like I should have some way to adjust for the exhaust.

With the Hyperpro springs, does the rising rate make them universal in terms of rider/bike weight, allowing for proper sag with a preload tweak?
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

Steviebee

the hyperpro shock springs are not specific to rider wight!  Your stuck with what it comes with.

Super Dave

There are many different springs from Hyperpro.  Regardless, you don't run the preload in them like straight rate springs.  It will handle awful if you do.

As for rider weight.  Larry Denning, Jesse Janisch, and myself all ran the same Hyperpro shock with the same Hyperpro spring.  I'd be Jesse is 140...I'm 170 easy.  Larry's probably somewhere in between.

The box that 4&6 has a relationship to that set up, but it's done up to some of their specs...talk to Shawn at 4&6...he'll be able to explain it all better...the springs too.
Super Dave

Steviebee

QuoteThere are many different springs from Hyperpro.  Regardless

Well im sol cause i cant get a differnt spring for the shock.

Thingy

QuoteWell im sol cause i cant get a differnt spring for the shock.

Steviebee, do you need a spring for a Hyperpro shock?  Do you know what pound spring?  I have three different springs for mine and would be willing to sell one.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!