News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Question about Suomy helmets

Started by Protein Filled, July 21, 2004, 09:27:53 AM

G 97

QuoteThat's what I did with one of my Arai's, but I couldn't tell you on a Suomy.  When I called Arai in Daytona, they said to just change the liner and cheek pads and that's what makes the size of the helmet up.  If you think about it, it wouldn't be cost efficient for helmet manufacturers to have to make different shells and styrofoam for each size.   Chances are, all helmets are the same shell and styrofoam, and different thickness of liner.  I'd just find out from the Suomy importer if I was you.  That's how Arai is though.  Worse case, get the helmet, try it, and if not, resell it on ebay again.  :-/

Not exactly. Arai uses three different shell sizes.  X-Small-Small / Medium-Large /
X-Large.  For safety purposes you do not sacrifice any safety issues if you have a mis-sized helmet as long as it is in the same shell size group.  

In my case I wore a Large for several years.  Then I got "officially" fitted by an Arai rep who said I was actually a Medium.  Since both the Medium and the Large share the same outer shell I was not giving up anything in the area of safety.   But, for example,  if I were wearing an X-large and then was found that I was really a Large I would have been compromising my safety since the outer shell sizes are different.  

Edgar play it safe and contact them directly like SD said.

G

GregR6

QuoteEdgar, talk to Rob or call Suomy USA direct....Talk to Donny Schmidt

Phone: 510.522.8170

Well Best of luck with that.  ::) >:(I've emailed him 3 times in the last couple weeks and never received a reply.
Might be a good/great helmet, but Mr. DS has pissed me off. Customer Service rules in my book.
I'm selling my Spec1R Bayliss size large if anyone wants it.

Super Dave

Donny is hard to get a hold of via e-mail...

He's the guy that travels to all the AMA Nationals in addition to what he does at Suomy USA.

So, the call is a better route.  I don't know if calling Rick Marlin at the same number would help, but I'd touch base that way.
Super Dave

ecumike

Yea, I've called and talked to Donnie numerous times at the 800 num.

You shouldn't have a problem if you CALL him.  :)

GregR6

Thanks SD. I'm sure he won't appreciate my call if he's read my most recent email...

I figure almost a month is enough time to respond to an email, on the road or not, eh...  :-/

Super Dave

LOL, just call, Greg...

Tell him that you talked to me about the new Kevin Hanson line of Suomy helmets....
Super Dave

Thingy

QuoteLOL, just call, Greg...

Tell him that you talked to me about the new Kevin Hanson line of Suomy helmets....
Yeah, I hear that they come from the factory with custom scratches.  ;D

I miss watching you out there Kev!
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!