BUYING RACE BIKE, PLEASE HELP

Started by GIOVANNI23, July 15, 2004, 10:42:16 AM

GIOVANNI23

Well, ever since I did my first trackday last December I have been thinking about getting into racing. I guess I caught the racing bug. Recently, I've been looking for a good track bike and I think I found one that could be a great starter for me. I'm going to post all the information I have on this bike, so please let me know what you guys think? I need to know if $9,500 is a good price or if i'm being overcharged? Thanks for the help guys!!!

PS. What else do you guys think I need to start racing in CCS?

***This is a 2004 R6 that was purchased in Jan.04 with plans to race the WERA endurence series this year, well our plans did not work out and we are selling the bike.

The bike had 250 street miles put on it before it was brought in and built to race spec. We did 2 practice days on the bike, about 125 miles, the bike runs and handles great. THIS BIKE HAS NOT BEEN RACED, IT'S JUST BEEN PREPPED FOR RACING

We installed sharkskinz body work, painted orange/white/dark blue, very good quality paint job., Ohlins steering damper, Traxxion Dynamics built forks, Top Line Penske tripple adjustable rear shock, Akrapovic Ti exhaust, Billet engine case covers, Did-ERV2 520 chain conversion, Vortex Rear Sets, Vortex clip-ons, Vortex fuel cap, Stainless Steel brake lines, Vesrah Race pads on the front. Over 13,000 invested at dealer cost to build this bike, not including labor.

This is a Brand New Ready to race Machine, also comes with all the street bodywork, easy to convert back to street use.***

Sunny

I think the price is good for what it is.  However, it may not be the best first race bike for you financially though.  I would say go for it if you have the money as I too spent quite a lot on my first track/race bike.  There is nothing that would make you ride better knowing that your bike is nice and will work right!  

Not having to worry about anything after you spend sometime dialing in the suspension is what you need to enjoy and learn about racing quickly!  You do not want to spend any time on getting the bike ready and/or fixed during the race weekend if possible.  Try to be prepared ahead of time so that you can concentrate on learning the track/race line and racing (talking to experienced racers help)!  

If money is not an issue, make sure you have both front and rear stands, and get a set of tire warmer.  Tire warmers will increase tire life and boost your confidence in traction from the "go" (still got to feel it out though)!  

tigerblade

What's your riding experience beyond the trackday you did in December?  A 2004 R6 is a pretty expensive, fast bike in a tough class.  Personally, I think you can't go wrong with an SV650 to start.  IMHO   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

GIOVANNI23

Honestly, that was my only track experience last December but I want to start on a bike that I feel more comfortable in.  I know you probably hear this all the time from newbie racers but I beileve that I am pretty fast and if I start on a SV650 I will get bored of it quikly.  Then that would be a waste of money.  IMO (Which doesn't really count)

sanee

i can race anything and i don't think i will ever get "BORED" racing it ;)

GIOVANNI23

You're right sanee.  Let me re-word that.  I won't get bored of it.  I would just want more out of the SV650 that I won't be able to get unless I get different bike (better bike).  

Dawn

Quote I know you probably hear this all the time from newbie racers but I beileve that I am pretty fast and if I start on a SV650 I will get bored of it quikly.  Then that would be a waste of money.  IMO (Which doesn't really count)

Whaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaa!!!!!!!!

If you get board racing a LW bike, your not riding it to its full potential.  

Dawn

duc995@aol.com

Giovanni:

This going to sound blunt, and rude, but I have only the best intentions for you...

The bike, for what it is, sounds fairly priced.

However, if you start racing in the 600 class (aka "axe-murderer class") you are going to get your ass handed to you on a skewer!  You will get to experience hand to hand combat at high velocity, with people trying to take each other out on a pure adrenoline high, laced with a good dose of ego!  Now if that sounds like fun to you...go for it.

I will echo again what Dawn said...if you get bored racing a LW bike, you don't know how to ride, and are using the HP of your R6 to mask the deficiences in your riding skills...sorry...sad but true.

What ever you decide to do...Play it safe, and enjoy! ;D

RADRB8

If you consider yourself "Pretty Fast" be prepared to get humbled, and I don't mean that in a bad way...Just that you have alot to learn in terms of limits of your equipment and yourself...MW in anything is tough...I am a 1st year (am) and the MW classes are dog eat dog...Go fast or stay home!!!

If you are used to riding Inline 4's then stick with it..If not go the SV route...The SV is just flat out fun to rride... ;D
Tactical Racing
ASRA #93
CCS # 93
TPM Coach #93
Never Underestimate the Old Guys...

2006 R6

GIOVANNI23

Thank you to everyone for your opinion's of what you believe I should get for my first race bike.  

But I want to hears your opinions on this particular bike.  Would you consider this as a good deal?  Or should I keep looking?

Thanks again!

dsb

QuoteThank you to everyone for your opinion's of what you believe I should get for my first race bike.  

But I want to hears your opinions on this particular bike.  Would you consider this as a good deal?  Or should I keep looking?

Thanks again!

Having built an '03 R6 I can tell you that that is a steal. Especially if it has all the street parts and a clean title. Provided it was assembled by someone with reasonable mechanical skills.

Now, as someone who just recently walked the path you're on ('00 R1 -> '03 R6 -> '04 RS250, with a corresponding drop in lap times by the way...), please don't discount what these people are saying, if for no other reason than a financial one. A good 'starter' Sv can be had for $5K or less. How are you going to feel when you see your brandy new $9500 R6 wadded up in a ball? And no, I'm not picking on you, _EVERYONE_ crashes, sooner or later...

Dave

Speedballer347

I am selling this Honda 929 that would be a perfect starter racebike for you.

Lower fairings have been removed for better ground clearance.  
Mirrors removed for better aerodynamics.
Bike has been geared -1/+10 for better accelleration.
110mph Top speed bouncing off the revlimiter...so you will learn cornering speed.
Slip-on pipe ensures a cool 'racey' sound from the engine.
Reduced capacity (2.5gal) gas-tank for lighter weight.
Pirelli blue front and bald cheng-sheng rear tires.

Gonna go fast, so better hurry Make an offer...I am negotable  :)
I can even throw in a 1989 shoei eddie lawson replica helmet!  8)
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing